FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
Il y Aura Du Sang
Location: Guam. 18 minutes away from the start of WW3. How's your day?

FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Since no thread for this event existed, here goes.

As a Colombian, it smarts to see it lose its first match. It doesn't bode well, even if a previous championship winner like Spain started out losing too, in 2010. However, their losing to Japan feels bittersweet in that, after having spent 4+ years there with the US Navy, it does bring me a little joy that they won. I *know* that the home team has priority, but part of my heart remains in Japan. I'd like to visit again before leaving Guam.

The goalkeepers for each team earned the MVP sachet. Both saved their squads from humiliation, so my forum hat goes off to them. Let's see where the tournament keeps going.
Nada nos libra. Nada más queda.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Re: FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 am

Newest developments:

Germany, the last WC winners, got kicked out. No one saw it coming, but these developments stoke my interest. By a similar token, Argentina (the runner-ups last time) made the knockout rounds by scoring one single goal in the last five minutes of their would-be final match. Personally I would have preferred the churrascos sat this one out like it happened in 2002 to everyone's surprise, but the further they go, the more their ego will bruise when they fall, so...

Colombia either wins its next match against Senegal or they go home. Since Senegal went 2-2 against Japan, who handed Colombia their asses in their first match, I have adjusted my expectations.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm

I like the way Brazil is playing.

Wasn't expecting to see Russia scoring so many goals their first two games and then going dry.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 pm

beken wrote:I like the way Brazil is playing.

Wasn't expecting to see Russia scoring so many goals their first two games and then going dry.

Considering FIFA still runs things in the WC, I would expect allegations that they rigged the host nation's matches to come down the pipe. Read up on the whole 2002 kerfuffle with South Korea to see how deep their lack of shame runs.

Colombia made it to the knock-offs! Yay! Senegal lost to Japan in getting through because of some nonsense Fair Play rule they started this WC! That kinda sucks!

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:03 am

In hockey we have a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick": goal, assist, and a fight. This morning's CBC article on the Brazil match suggested a "Neymar Hat Trick": goal, assist, and a dive. Heh, heh... :P

Japan blew a two goal lead to Belgium...well, it was good while it lasted...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

beken

Postby beken » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:32 am

and what about that Denmark, Croatia game. If you were expecting a slow game, Denmark scored in the 2nd minute of the game and the Croatia evened it up a minute later. I barely sat down to at a hotel lounge in time to see the first goal scored. I bet many missed it.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 am

I will say this: Colombia fought to the very end in match where the referee anulled a perfectly valid goal *and* gifted England a penalty kick. I believe that teams that made it this far without actually scoring goals of their own should not rub shoulders with actual Best of the Best teams, but what do I know. Having said that, Arias and Bacca (the dingleberries who failed those penalty kicks at the end) should reckon with what they did, while Yerri Mina and David Ospina deserve all the accolades they have received, and much more.

France vs. Uruguay will be LIT.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:57 am

GOOD :twisted:

The neo-fascists defeat the neo-imperialists and the Colombians (neo-liberals, to be fair all around) still had a match stolen from them. No one wins today.

Now the European neo-liberals get to square off against said neo-fascists. Let's see how that goes.

Return to “Sports”