Sukumizu

Got pictures of some awesome cosplay outfits? Need cosplay advice? Well here's your one stop shop for all things Cosplay related.

Which sukumizu style do you prefer?

Obsolete Sukumizu
67%
Modern Sukumizu
33%

Total votes: 3

Past

Sukumizu

Postby Past » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 am

Sukumizu means school swim suit. This word is popularized not just because it's an abbreviation the Japanese translation, but because it indicates we are not talking about something functional, but about something that induces it's own visual appeal. Which is why we are all familiar with the typical black or navy blue swimsuits that girls in anime wear, and how cute they are.

So my poll is about what is your preference regarding these swimsuits since theres a distinct difference between obsolete style and newer styles (which actually include 1 or 2 revisions), but still vary depending on the school.
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Littlewolf

Re: Sukumizu

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Can you post pictures for us to compare, because I don't know which is new and which is obsolete. :oops:
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Past

Postby Past » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 am

It was my plan to post examples, but wanted to wait for a while so I could get a sampling of the people who already know the difference between the old and new styles (typically perverted otaku like me) :?

Give me a bit longer, I'm working on getting some pictures together. Until then a google search should be able to help you in getting an idea of the differences.

In the end you'll discover that it's not really about one being better than the other, but about the history behind what makes one different from the other.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:12 am

I'm guessing the old and new types you're talking about are the split one piece that we used to see in a lot of anime and the modern one piece that looks more like a female Olympic swimmers Speedo with a higher hip line and sometimes an open back. It's not out of any perversion that I know the difference, but more as an observation as well as more than a few anime making jokes about the "old style". Kinda like how anime from seven years or so ago had girls in gym class wearing the classic "bloomers" and t-shirts while modern anime shows both sexes wearing warm-up pants or shorts and a t-shirt as well as the option of a jacket. It's simply a matter of modernization as Japan becomes an increasingly modest society along with western style influences.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Past

Postby Past » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:49 am

New Sukumizu
New01.jpg
New02.jpg
New03.jpg

Yup you're right Emerje, the new types are genuine one pieces but other characteristics of them is that they always show as tight fitting and sometimes have a white border and you rarely see them with nameplates.

I think the design of the obsolete sukumizu has something to do with materials and resources that were in short supply after the end of WWII. Stretchy materials were pretty hi-tech for Japan back then, so not until these materials became more common and easier to manufacture did they start phasing in the modern swimsuits, which like I said have gone through revisions.

The most modern design often feature multi colored, Olympic styled with an open back. But 90% of anime pictures of girls in mizugi are still wearing the obsolete style. Why? Because it represents the fetishy, cute, sexy imagery of the schoolgirl that otaku love. The design may be impractical, and admittedly ugly but that's exactly why it's so appealing. Granted, girls with a shapely, curvy figure and large breasts do not look as good in obsolete sukumizu, but I think that's because they were designed for girls with washboard figures. And I think that's what the original designer of them must have assumed; all high school girls had washboard figures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Past on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Past

Postby Past » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:51 am

Obsolete Sukumizu
Old01.jpg
Old02.jpg
Old03.jpg

My preference of course is for the obsolete mizugi. Don't they just look so cute? Personally I think it's the best swim suit design ever created. I even prefer it over 2 pc. bikinis which draw attention away from the waist and the legs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 am

I like the obsolete mizugi. The new one just looks like any other swimsuit you can get, where as the old has a unique cut to it, mainly at the legs. I personally don't like high cut swimsuits they chafe at time, and then there's things like wedgies and the like. Or maybe I'm just not wearing one of the right size, but oh well. That, and I like the 3 panel look as well. Sewing stuff, I've alys been attrackted to stuff with that sort of cut.

So in the end, I think the obsolete mizugi is cutest.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 am

IMO I think if you want cute go old school. If you want more up to date and a bit sexier go with the new. Both have appealing characteristics I think. Either looks fine so I dunno which I'd prefer. I will say that with characters set in middle schools I definitely find the older ones in better taste. The newer ones are a bit too adult to me to be used in such settings. Aila does bring up a good point though where the new ones do look like any other regular swimsuit you can buy so the originality factor is lost more. Meh. Besides, it's all about the skirts and leggings anyways lol.

Return to “Cosplay”