Do you think anime cons have the best cosplayers?

Got pictures of some awesome cosplay outfits? Need cosplay advice? Well here's your one stop shop for all things Cosplay related.

Do you think anime cons have the best cosplayers?

Postby Past » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:02 am

Among all the types of conventions where you have attendees in costumes (furry cons, sci-fi cons, Blizzcon, comic book cons) I personally think that anime cosplayers are a group that are most well known for doing very high quality and professional looking cosplays. There seems to be a unique level of dedication and importance put in costuming fictional characters that doesn't exist in any other type of fandom. The only exception I'd possibly like to present is furry fandom. This is probably because of the psychological connection a furry has with his or her costume. It is like an extension or an expression of one's inner self. Anime cosplayer's high degree of quality and craftsmanship I think comes from the competitive nature of it rather than just the fun. You'll still see lots of low quality stuff but that is because of the sheer number of people who cosplay and there are a lot of beginners out there. Or could I be biased simply because of being an anime fan and lacking experience with other types of conventions?
In Soviet Russia; witches strike you!Image

Re: Do you think anime cons have the best cosplayers?

Postby Sukunai » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:34 am

Not sure how to respond.

I don't think for instance Sailormoon cosplayers automatically beat Starwars Clone troopers for dedication.

I suspect that with anime, it is maybe that there is so damn many choices of what to be that might be a factor. A crowd of anime cosplayers can be soooo varied, where as a crowd of Trekkers are all going to look the same.
Expert counsel, generous advice from friends, and my own knowledge has left me realizing, I am all that a man needs to be a man, and yet, I live half my day with a woman's frame of mind all the same.
I'd rather something in the way of more mundane troubles :)

Psycho 101

Re: Do you think anime cons have the best cosplayers?

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 am

I think the best single place for cosplayers is Comic-Con. Simply because you have cosplayers from games, sci-fi shows, comics, anime, etc. It's just a mixing pot for cosplayers. I do agree with sukunai that anime cosplayers do have the most variety and options available to them. Only so many ways you can dress up a Klingon or Wookie lol.

Return to “Cosplay”