Haruko Haruhara + Kushina Uzumaki

Got pictures of some awesome cosplay outfits? Need cosplay advice? Well here's your one stop shop for all things Cosplay related.
Littlewolf

Haruko Haruhara + Kushina Uzumaki

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:09 pm

I decided to make a thread and dedicate it to my cosplay project for the summer in hopes I won't procrastinate so much. It's just going to be notes for me for now, and I suppose to show how I'm putting together this costume. Someone unfamiliar with the cosplay process can see some of the stuff people go through with cosplay.

First, reference pictures:

I'm going to make sure I have everything except the Vespa (though if even given the option and if I needed a form of transportation, i would so buy one). I got my tax return yesterday so I sort of... splurged on the things I've been wanting with this costume for a long time. Usually when I start a costume I try and get all the accessories and things I'm not making myself first so I'm not waiting on them to come in the mail last minute.

BASS: The most important bit, the Rickenbacker bass, is currently in the process of being made (slowly) by myself and my dad (mostly my dad XD) out of wood and the remains of an old cheap bass I never learned how to play. When we progress more into that part of the costume I'll post lots of pictures and updates on how we're going about making it. Buying the actual Rickenbacker is not an option seeing as Haruko seems to like some of the most expensive guitars out there.

WIG: Another very important part of the costume, as with any cosplay I do, is the wig. I'm a bit anal retendant about finding what I consider the "perfect" wig for a costume, and with Haruko she doesn't look the typical bubble gum pink, it's a bit more rusty, darker at times, so I decided to go with dark pink wig, a shade that's pretty hard I've found to find in the right style, but I think I found something that can work with this. I just feel a bit guilty that I'm going to be cutting up such a pretty, wig, which will probably get worse if I find I actually like Lightning from FF13 when I get around to playing it. Anyway, I had to go with it because I really like the shade (a few Haruko cosplayers posted their pics with that shade from that seller and it's what sold me) and it's Kanekalon (something I insist with my cosplay wigs) and it's thick and long enough for me to style.

Boots: Shoes for cosplay can be a pain in the ass if you're a self critical perfectionist like me. I unfortunately have a worse time than most about it because I'm a very tall girl, which means I have big feet, and unfortunately most women's shoes rarely go above size 9, or 10. I'm between a 10 and a 10.5 so finding the perfect boots without paying a ton of cash is always a challenge, but I hope I found them with these:
http://www.amiclubwear.com/shoes-boots- ... itesu.html
http://www.amiclubwear.com/shoes-boots- ... itepu.html

Yes, I bought two pairs of boots. For the prices they were asking for, it was a steal (really, you NEVER find boots this cheap). I bought two as well because they only had them in size 10, nothing larger. I'm hoping one or the other will be comfortable enough for me to use. THESE would have been perfect for the costume (just spray paint them white), but unfortunately the sizes only went up to 9, which I have no chance in hell getting my foot into. Once I get the boots, and if they fit I'll alter them as needed, like add that little round circle thing she has on them.

Next we have the simpler things for this costume:

Scarf
Gloves
Helmet/goggles

I think I may need to redo the stripe with spray paint when I get it though to make it one giant, solid stripe.

So now that I have all that out of the way, this leaves me with just three things left to get: The red top/dress, her bracelet, and her pants. The pants I'm just going to keep my eye open for at stores and thrift shops, where as her bracelet I'm going to make (haven't figured out how I'm going to go about with that). The top I'm going to make as well, so starting next week I'll be looking at vinyl/pleather looking materials for it.

Depending on how much money I have when the convention comes around, I'll decide if I want to put down the money for some yellow contacts.
Last edited by Littlewolf on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Haruko Haruhara - In Progress

Postby d.yaro » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:41 am

Just a side comment: The boots you linked too aren't flat soled which is what Haruko appears to be wearing in the first picture of her you posted.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

d.yaro wrote:Just a side comment: The boots you linked too aren't flat soled which is what Haruko appears to be wearing in the first picture of her you posted.

Yeah, I know. As a tall girl I've given up long ago at finding flat boots. I spent hours looking for boots my size, and outside of ones that won't cost me more than 80 bucks, these with the heels were the best I can find. It'll just make me an even more intimidating Haruko. If any of you guys ever find some that are cheap, feel free to point them out to me. I'd just prefer them to be over the knee in boot style.

It's hard finding non-heel boots for me. :( What's worse is if it's not heel, all I can find are platforms.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Not that I shop for women's clothing but if by chance I happen to see any I'll keep you in mind lol. Between the heels or platforms I agree the heels would work, and look, better I think. There a particular event you plan to debut this baby at?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Psycho 101 wrote:Not that I shop for women's clothing

Mhmmmm ;)

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 am

chrisb wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:Not that I shop for women's clothing

Mhmmmm ;)

Ya know if you might wanna hush or else I'll mention the times you came with me.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 am

^ I'll be good!

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Lol, thanks guys.

I plan on finishing it up in time for Metrocon, a small con in my state, and then I'm taking it to Dragon*con.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am

Metrocon you say? Sounds like the perfect place for Chris and I. :oops: ;)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am

We probably belong more at trannycon :lol:
[spoiler]And not the hot Asian maybe/maybe not trannycon either[/spoiler]

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Lol, I think you're thinking the wrong sort of metro. Anywhere, he's the con's site:

http://www.metroconventions.com/

Small, but still enough stuff to keep me and my friends entertained for the weekend. I look forward to competing in their Rock Band (videogame) contest with my friends dressed as Haruko. :lol: We must continue training in "Hard".

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 pm

I haven't posted any pictures yet, have I?

We're a family now going on I don't know, 3, 4 conventions as a family, and it NEVER fails.... we go, we take plenty of pictures of OTHER people, but we never really get any pictures of us, in costume. It probably didn't help I was the most sober in our group (everyone else thought they should try an anime convention drunk, so I had a shit faced Kakashi, Jiraiya, and Tsunade with me, complete with water bottles filled with booze.

... yeah, I think the booze is the main reason we didn't get any pictures.

Still, my dad wants to have a costume photoshoot before I move and pack up my costumes, so maybe then I'll actually have good pictures. We need to finish some stuff with this costume anyway.

This was a random shot my drunk companions took at some point while we waited. My feet were killing me in those boots.
Most bad ass cosplay prop EVER. I LOVE MY DAD!

Random photo from someone else I found on the internet.
Again, I love the prop. The costume sucks in comparison!

And since I went through all the trouble to get them, even if they weren't very noticeable, the contacts!

The contacts weren't so bad, (I wish they were more yellow. Site showed a picture that was bright yellow), but still, not bad at all for 20 bucks. Sadly though I screwed up with them. Since my eye sight is bad, I had to "layer" the contacts, meaning wear these over my prescription contacts. It was weird at first (never did it before, but lots of cosplayers apparently do it), and I needed to keep drops handy because you eyes really dry out, but in the end I think I'll do this again with other characters in the future. The problem came at the end of the day when I took them out, and tried separating the contacts from each other and just... tore the contacts right in half. :sweat That was when I discovered I did NOT pack any spares of my prescription contacts. Hence, final day, I was Kushina walking around with glasses, and when I had to take pictures I was totally blind, and probably squinting.

But yes, this is the costume, and I'm calling this a trial run.

First, I need to find a way to tie that damn scarf properly, and make sure it stays during a whole con. I had to adjust it just about every 5-10 minutes, and the strap from the guitar didn't help at all.

Those boots are NOT the boots I meant to wear with it. I have over the knee boots I bought for this, perfect for the costume, but I stored them somewhere so their lovely, white swede wouldn't get dirty. Unfortunately I forgot where this place was. Needless to say by the time we got back my mother had found them near my sewing area, in a bag, packed safely away. I suppose I'll use them when my dad gets around to that photo shoot.

I need to work with that wig a bit more. Make the bangs a bit thicker in front, and trim them down, and get product in there. Beginning of the day the wig looked fine. Two-three hours later I was sweating like a pig, and the wig didn't do much better either and looked like shit. Plus it didn't help I forgot about styling it till the last minute... or straightening it. The wig was a Lighting Wig (Final Fantasy 13) which I picked for the color. I know how to properly straighten wigs when there's a curl, unfortunately you need more time to wet it, let it dry, and repeat this process over and over, so there was still a bit of a curl on the side I just couldn't get rid of.

As to the dress, I screwed up around the shoulders (I forgot I needed to add some shoulder pads when I was just about done sewing) and cut away a bit too much. I can hide it somewhat with the scarf. I don't know if I'll be able to fix it since I don't have any of the material left, and it'd mean cutting how those front two panels and completely resewing it all. If I can find more of the material though, I probably will.

Then after that, all that's left are adding the final touches to the bass. My dad was also working on this last minute, much like I was with the costumes. All that's left is adding the white line around the side edges, and then adding the pearl triangle details on the fingerboard. You can't see it in the pictures, but there is a "pull motor" on the back. We'll probably get some good pictures of the guitar when we do that photo shoot later this month.

Words cannot express how happy I am with how the bass turned out. People constantly thought it was real, and someone who actually owned a Rickenbacker commented on how great a replica it was. I need to continue tweaking my costume so that it fits such a fantastic prop.

Oh yeah, and I have the helmet, and the goggles... I just forgot them in the hotel room. XD Plus it was a bit too hot to wear that helmet anyway on top of a wig. This costume is NOT a costume for Florida summer conventions. When I changed out of this thing, my white sweater underneath was soaked with sweat.

Oh, and my other costume, done last minute, the day before the convention, for less than 20 bucks at Goodwill:

Kushina from Naruto

This picture was another afterthought. Final day, riding home, didn't have a hotel anymore to change out of. We had stopped at a gas station, and my dad went "... we haven't taken any pictures at all of you in that costume, have we?" So my hair is screwed up by that time, but at least we got a picture out of it. We had some with my Minato plushy I bought at the con, but those just looked really stupid.

I was torn between taking the dress in to fit be better, and leaving it big as it was in case I add a baby bump in the future. I'm going to leave it and add a baby bump. And hopefully buy a wig (I couldn't find any dyes with purple/pink tones). Coming up with the colors for this costume drove me nuts. Depending on where you look in the manga, her dress is either white, or black, and we had no idea what color the shirt was. I went with green (goes better with the hair), and since I liked black more, went with a black dress. Still, comfort level of this costume versus Haruko was HUGE. And I did not sweat my ass off.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Littlewolf wrote:Image
Kushina from Naruto

This picture is amazing! You are now officially the first Kushina cosplayer (that I have ever seen).

It's probably difficult since not that many people are familiar with her yet, and because there aren't many colored pictures of her, but I think you captured the essence of Kushina's character pretty well. I hope you continue to use the costume as you said, like adding the baby bump and whatnot. We need more pictures of you with Minato. :)
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Psycho 101
Promoter

Re: Haruko Haruhara + Kushina Uzumaki

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I have to say both are amazing outfits. I still wish it was sexy Kushina of course but I'm a perv so no surprise there heh. However it is still a very nice outfit and you looked outstanding in it. Now time for some truth....I do not like FLCL that much,. I just don't. I know I fail at this otaku thing. Oh well. Now after saying that I must say that your Haruko outfit is amazing. I kid you not when I say it is probably the best one I've seen personally. Online photos of professional cosplayers do not count. So as far as people I know and have seen myself you take the cake. Now I may be one person but I've been going to Otakon for many many years so I've seen many a Haruko there. So congrats indeed you did a great job. If you plan tot weak it even more to make it more awesome I can't wait. Love your facial expression in the last picture too. Screams I'm bad ass and I know it, and so do you heh.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:51 am

Looks like you were having a good time playing it up... Great job! All that hard work really paid off!

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Yeah, I have a really fun time with cosplaying. Nothing like working your butt off then having the whole costume come together.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:08 am

Littlewolf wrote:Thanks guys! :D

Yeah, I have a really fun time with cosplaying. Nothing like working your butt off then having the whole costume come together.

That I can definitely appreciate. You can tell you took a lot of care and attention to detail. To see it paid off must be so rewarding! If I were younger, I could see myself doing the same. The whole process, from beginning to end, seems creative and fun.

Return to “Cosplay”