Tips & Tricks & Assistance

Got pictures of some awesome cosplay outfits? Need cosplay advice? Well here's your one stop shop for all things Cosplay related.
Psycho 101
Promoter

Tips & Tricks & Assistance

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 am

Ok so if you have any tips or tricks for your fellow Cosplayers post them here. Likewise if you need help or have some basic questions then this is the spot to ask.

chrisb

Re: Tips & Tricks & Assistance

Postby chrisb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

I want to make this character's jacket. Can anyone help me out. I don't really want to start from scratch or anything just want to take a jacket and do stuff to it.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 am

chrisb wrote:I want to make this character's jacket. Can anyone help me out. I don't really want to start from scratch or anything just want to take a jacket and do stuff to it.

With a collar like his I don't think you'll have an easy time of altering an already made jacket unless you find one with that cut/style/shape and a huge collar. I'm not really any good at suggesting alterations for something like this, but I'll try. Personally I'd attempt it from scratch with my own patter if I can't find one similar, but, anyway, with just a jacket you want to alter I'd do the following:

That collar will be the most annoying thing to create on this jacket. First, you'll need interface to line the collar with to make it stiff. You'll also need some white material of some sort to make the trim.

For the teeth (they looks like teeth sort of, so I'm going to call them that) along the collar you'll have to cut lots of little rectangles, sew them into squares, and stuff them with interface or some sort of stuffing to make them stiff, and then sew them to the collar. Just plain material with starch might work, but you'll have to sew these to the collar before you sew the trim on unless you can figure out a way to work it out otherwise.

As to the white on the front, I'd either paint the white design, or cut out white material to somehow sew on the front, but that could be tedious. Painting would be easier.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks! If it helps any here's a cosplayer who made it work, what about the huge sharktooth zipper how could I do that?

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 am

I don't think it'd work too well as an actual zipper. What I'd do is keep the regular zipper that comes with the jacket, and make a sort of brooch.

You can go about making the brooch a number of ways, but I think the easiest way would be going to your local craft store and check out the jewelery sections with beads and such. Get a brooch pin, and check out what sorts of things they have that can make the main shark tooth shape you need. Like some sort of moldable plastic, Fimo maybe.

I think Fimo sometimes goes by another name but they're these small, colorful squares about 3 inches wide, and look like clay. You mold it into what you want, then bake it in your oven and presto. Then you paint it if it's not the right color, glue the brooch pin back to it with a glue gun, and pin it to your costume when you need it.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Return to “Cosplay”