What are you watching on TV?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
Sentire

Re: What are you watching on TV?

Postby Sentire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 am

I found out something as of last weekend... we now have access to BBC America! YES! :D :lol: :D I haven't since I lived in Buffalo, except for those programs that were available On Demand.

So, it hasn't taken me long, and I started to watch a new series, Bedlam. I'm really enjoying it so far, having seen 4 episodes as of last night. Here is the show description at the BBC America site:

“Bedlam” is a ghostly series set around Bedlam Heights—a hip, newly renovated apartment building. Those who live there think they have the best address in the world, but little do they know their new home has a harrowing past.

The conversion of Bedlam Heights from a former insane asylum has awakened the ghosts of its dark and violent past. These spirits wish to reclaim what’s theirs and seek revenge on those who have wronged them.

Kate (Charlotte Salt, “The Tudors”), a direct descendant of the people who ran the former asylum for generations, lives and works in Bedlam Heights. Her father, Warren (Hugo Speer, “Skins”), still owns the old family property and Kate is helping him fill the remaining vacant apartments. She shares her apartment with roommates Ryan (Will Young, “Skins”) and Molly (Ashley Madekwe, “Secret Diary of a Call Girl”), but only with the unexpected arrival of Kate’s adopted cousin, Jed (Theo James, “Downton Abbey”)—a troubled man with a history of mental illness who sees ghosts and visions of the past—are they able to uncover the terrifying secrets of Bedlam Heights. The hauntings that follow prove that sometimes when you scratch away the surface, things aren’t always what they seem.

Written and created by Neil Jones (‘Blue Murder”), David Allison (“Boy Meets Girl”) and Chris Parker (“EastEnders”)

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:03 pm

iwatch2muchanime wrote:I liked this Doctor Who Christmas quite a bit indeed.
This year to me it felt a little boring and not so captivating. I was a little disappointed with it.

Sherlock is back on BBC and wow, what a start. It always feels too short and the fact that it has only one more episode makes me really sad. The chemistry between Freeman and Cumberbatch is amazing and they fit so perfectly well (like Downey and Law). Each story is compelling and I just love what they have done with it.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 pm

I've been finding interesting sounding NHK TV programmes in a news group. This is the first one from the batch called "August Chronicles" which I watched tonight:

"Lost innocence, lost lives" is the 1st program of the
August Chronicles, broadcast on NHK World the 7 August 2011.
It features historical events in the form of a drama.

Here's its description, copied from
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/ ... html#pgm02

BOYS ABANDONED THEIR DREAMS FOR THE SAKE OF THEIR HOMELANDÖ

At a rally held at Aichi-icchu on July 5 1943, in the middle
of the Pacific†War, all 700 students of an elite junior high
school took the decision to go to war. Their widely reported
decision stimulated many other boys nationwide to head for the
battlefield.

In the background to this event, however, there was a hidden
agenda of the military powers who wished to solve the issue of a
serious lack of soldiers by dispatching junior high school
students to the front. They pressured the school to instill the
desire to fight into its students. As a result, the boys' dreams
and friendships were swallowed up by the war, and their teachers
and parents, unable to prevent sending their boys to the
battlefield, suffered great agony and emotional turmoil.

Based on real events that occurred at the school with the
finest academic track record in the country, the program vividly
describes how all those involved had to deal with the pressures
of the times.

The series is made up of docu-dramas, documentaries and lectures related to the Pacific War. This particular installment wasn't that bad. There was one scene copied off of a scene in a Mizoguchi movie (Rikugun) but it was too short and didn't have the same impact. Music for this program was written and arranged by Kajiura Yuki.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:16 pm

There hasn't been too much on TV recently, but I have been watching the Band of brothers DVD set I got for Christmas.

I'm also giving serious thought to having a US TV splurge and picking up a host of shows on DVD that I missed during my TVless years at University :D
Image Image Image

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:44 pm

^ How are you liking Band of Brothers. I saw it on TV here and enjoyed the heck out of it. There were a couple episodes that I just cannot forget.

There is another one called The Pacific which takes place at the same time. Haven't seen that one yet but one of these days....

Truered

Postby Truered » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 pm

bashfulglowfly wrote:^ How are you liking Band of Brothers. I saw it on TV here and enjoyed the heck out of it. There were a couple episodes that I just cannot forget.

There is another one called The Pacific which takes place at the same time. Haven't seen that one yet but one of these days....

Enjoying it so far. Well obviously not "enjoying" a series about war and people being killed but it's pretty good after missing most of it when it aired.

However watching with earphones it can scare the pants off of me at times :lol:
Image Image Image

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:26 pm

There's a new season of the BBC Being Human starting tonight! Obviously this means that they must do a marathon of season 3 (sweet!) and will obviously do one for season 4 for the finale, odds are it'll end close to Doctor Who beginning its 7th season.

Being Human is one of those things I want to buy on DVD (or Bluray) eventually.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:31 am

I've been watching Alcatraz on FOX. Good show. I've always like Sam Neill and the female lead (can't remember her name) is good as is "Doc" who was on Lost.

Little bits a pieces are revealed every week but not necessarily connected to something that happened the week before. It might be from an episode two weeks ago.

Good show. If you aren't watching it...find it and catch up!

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 pm

I did get some DVDs- Deadwood, Arrested development, Twin peaks S1-4 of chuck and the first seasons of Breaking bad and Justified :sweat

(Not all at the same time, I found TP and chuck cheap last week).

Almost finished all of arrested development, it lived up to the hype. And I'm near the end of Deadwood S1 which is also cool
Image Image Image

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Ok, I have to understand something: is CW so annoying with each and every show of theirs or they simple reserve the hiatus card for Supernatural? I forgot how many hiatuses (can I say 'hiatuses'? :sweat ) we had this year. It's getting ridiculous. I can barely hold on to the continuity of the story (not that there's much of it, since apparently writers don't have a clue anymore about what they are doing) but now there are all these damn things everywhere. Two episodes then a hiatus then another two then another hiatus. What the hell is this? They piss me off so much. :cuss :mad

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 am

I've been watching Missing on ABC with Ashely Judd.

Hell of a show! Every week it gets better!.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 am

Anyone catch the new series Longmire? It's actually really good! If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to give it a shot. Sean and I really like it.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:58 am

Sentire wrote:Anyone catch the new series Longmire? It's actually really good! If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to give it a shot. Sean and I really like it.

Good to know. I have it, unwatched, on my DVR...along with Part 2 & 3 of The Hatfield & McCoys.

Need to get off the computer and watch them all. :?

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:34 am

Hey, let me know what you think, okay?

I haven't seen The Hatfield & McCoys... I'm not sure what to think of it, honestly.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:41 am

Sentire wrote:Hey, let me know what you think, okay?

I haven't seen The Hatfield & McCoys... I'm not sure what to think of it, honestly.

I will.

As for H & M...well, the first part was interesting...proves that lawyers have always been louses! But it's interesting. I've always heard about the Feud, we all have, but have never bothered to look into it. After I finish the series, I'll have to see what Wikipedia and other sources have to say about it.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:39 am

bashfulglowfly wrote:I've been watching Missing on ABC with Ashely Judd.

Hell of a show! Every week it gets better!.

Speaking of Ashley Judd, I watched her husband win his 3rd Indy 500 a couple of weeks ago. And based on how snazzy she was dressed, she looked more like she was at the GP of Monaco than at the Indy 500.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:43 am

Just got around to watching the final episode of the newest season of trueblood (had missed the premiere cause i fell asleep, and haven't had time since). The only BAD thing about it was the fact I have to wait a whole year until the new season EVERYTIME.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:53 am

Looking forward to the new TV season...first show out of the gate...."Revolution"

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:58 am

It's rare for me to even get into one show on any of the major networks at any given time, but right now there are 3 that have caught my interest:

The X Factor - We're past the auditions and we're now at the boot camp episodes. In an even rarer move I'm actually in it for the long haul. The zingers aimed toward the crappy hopefuls were awesome. I would expect nothing less out of Simon Cowell, but Britney Spears pleasantly surprised me and showed she could get pretty mean as well. I liked it. I also enjoyed laughing at and poking fun at the ones that didn't make it through.

Survivor: Phillipines - It's been at least a decade since I lost interest in Survivor, but that was during a time where I lost interest in a lot of things that I once liked, which was around 2004-2008, but I'm getting back into Survivor, and having a former teen star, a 17-year MLB veteran and three Survivor legends doesn't hurt.

Elementary - In the out-of-left-field category comes a new series that I never imagined I would be interested in and while I know we're only 1 episode into the series and I'm also not exactly good at predicting the future, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's only going to be a matter of time before Holmes and Watson hook up. It'll probably happen if the series makes it to season 5. If it doesn't happen after that, I'll be shocked.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

I am really enjoying Grimm. Only problem is that I missed the last 3 episodes of last season, so I have had to fill in the blanks. I am not yet caught up on this season either, but I am getting there.

Sean and I of course continue watching Hawaii Five-O, NCIS and NCIS LA. My favorite of the three is Hawaii Five-O now. I wouldn't mind going there some day too.

Return to “TV & Movies”