What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby d.yaro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Saw Koto no Ha no Niwa tonight. The film features some remarkable art. Especially the scenes with water. I kept asking myself if I had actually walked by the bench where most of the film's dialogue takes place. It was a real treat to be able to watch the movie on the big screen. Plus I got a little chuckle out of the last line of disclaimer section shown at the end of the film: "consumption of alcoholic beverages in Shinjuku Gyoen is not permitted".
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 pm

That film was a return to form for Shinkai after the blunder that was Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Back again was his characteristic lightness and his use of backgrounds as characterisations in their own right. My only complaint is that the climax undid much of one character's personal strength and agency, and suffered from a humdrum choice of insert music. Your Name is enjoying a theatrical release over here very soon, though I shall probably wait for a disc release.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:01 am

Zin5ki wrote:Your Name is enjoying a theatrical release over here very soon, though I shall probably wait for a disc release.
I really recommend that you see it in a cinema. I've seen in twice in a theatre and wouldn't trade that experience for watching it at home on a significantly smaller scale.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm

But it would be on a school night!

Plus, public displays of emotion are not exactly becoming of me...

beken

Postby beken » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Deadpool was interesting...

beken

Postby beken » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:08 am

Kingsman

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Psycho and I went to see Dr. Strange and I really enjoyed it. Tilda Swinton as "The Ancient One" totally rocked it. I know the character in the comic books is a male, but she really exuded strength, wisdom, and mystical power - so you never even paid attention to her gender being different from the original character. Benedict Cumberbatch was a very fitting Dr. Strange too. I definitely recommend this film, but if you do go see it, be sure to wait until the credits are over for a little short.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

I believe this is a pre-quel to the Harry Potter books. I fell asleep in the middle somewhere so missed out on something. The ending was interesting...kind of funny even.

I do want one of those suitcases though.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:54 am

Sentire wrote:I definitely recommend this film, but if you do go see it, be sure to wait until the credits are over for a little short.
Don't think that one has been released over here yet.

As an aside, I almost always sit through and watch all the credits. You never know what you'll see. Once I saw a relative's name on the screen. He was an assistant producer (of some capacity) on "Letters From Iwo Jima".

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Psycho and I always sit through the credits too. I have seen a few credits with "Behr" in them, and I grew up seeing "Ira Behr" on TV for Star Trek, but I don't think he is related.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:35 am

Saw Koe no Katachi (AKA: Your Silent Voice) last night. It just arrived here 10 days ago for a two week run. Went to see it tonight and very much enjoyed it. I haven't read the manga so I definitely missed the significance of scenes such as the one where Shouko switched to using one hearing aid.

The overall quality of the artwork was very good but there was one scene where they focused on people's feet and things looked a bit odd...it was like their feet weren't really touching the ground. It's kind of hard to explain....

When I purchased my ticket I was handed a little booklet. I glanced at the cover and stuffed it into my pocket as there wasn't much time left before the show started. When I got home after midnight (I had gone to the late show) I read part of it. It's a short little side story manga. That was a nice touch.

The hard part about watching the movie...it's long! With about 30 minutes left in the movie the Coke I had drank was demanding an early exit. I crossed my legs and held on until when I saw the word "Cast" scroll onto the screen. Then I was out of there like a bat out of hell! :lol:

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Yamada loves to focus on bodily extremities to convey emotion. It seems a trademark of hers.

How did you find the pacing towards the end, out of interest? I saw Tamako Love Story earlier this year, and could only really fault the abruptness of the finale.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:58 am

^ For me, I thought the movie ended on the right key. The story didn't pick up speed to rush to the end nor did it drag on too long. All in all, the ending didn't feel particularly abrupt.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I am a bit obsessed with British TV and movies. Most recently I watched "Run" from 2013. There are four episodes that can stand independently with the story and character development, but all intertwine. It is definitely my type of show, and is one reason that I love Netflix.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:27 am

Dr. Strange

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 pm

I watched most of "Shin Gojira" (Shin Godzilla) on the plane during my flight to Vancouver. It had English subtitles so I could figure out the parts I had no clue about when I had watched it in the theatre.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Princess Kaguya.

Thanks to my secret Santa.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 am

Watched "Moana" and "Kimi no Na wa" on the flight back to Japan.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am

What did you think of Your Name? Even the people who I expected not to like it have heaped praise towards it, which leaves me almost suspicious.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am

Zin5ki wrote:What did you think of Your Name?...

I've enjoyed it...through three viewings. Twice in the theatre and once as the aforementioned inflight video. I'd say from a holistic viewpoint the movie as a package works very well. If one attempts to dissect the plot then there is a danger of missing some small detail which holds the whole thing together and one will end up confused. disappointed, or annoyed. I was originally put off by the last scene in the movie (it has the Ed Wood element of requiring the audience to suspend disbelief) but I've come to let the fault slide.

Personally, I was able to identify not so much with its young protagonists as for its setting. It's like a modern fairy tale which takes place in locales many people in Japan can identify with. While the theme of the movie is worked on a bit heavy handed, the story still manages to be charming and captivating. To me, that charm, coupled with the visuals and music, has contributed a lot to the film's success and the makeup of its appeal.

Return to “TV & Movies”