What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
beken

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby beken » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Cineplex theatres had a Family Day last weekend and offered up a bunch of movies for free in the morning.

My daughter and I went and watched Pitch Perfect.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 pm

also, watched Pixels.

It was a bad movie. Even a full sequence featuring MINI Coopers failed to rescue the movie.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:57 am

^ It was playing here for about a month. I did a little digging to find out more about it and encountered some bad reviews. The very small amount of interest I had in the movie vanished then and there.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 pm

anybody seen Spectre yet?

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 am

i saw Spectre opening weekend. I enjoyed it, not the best but not bad.

i've seen Star Wars 4 times now. Gonna see it more.

However i am going to see The Revenant and The hateful Eight within the week if possible.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:44 pm

I saw Star Wars the Force Awakens once. My wife saw it twice. My homestay student saw it 3 times.

Also, have one of these running around.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Went and saw "In The Heart of The Sea" last night. Except it's called "Battle With the White Whale" (白鯨との闘い) in Japanese. All in all I thought it was okay at best. I read Philbrick's book ages ago and visited some Wiki pages to fill in the gaps in memory. In my opinion the movie worked the Moby Dick angle too hard. There was a lot of fiction added to embellish the story. They left out the great irony of the real life events: The first and second mates convinced the captain to sail south and try and catch the wind to get to South America rather than head west in the general direction of Tahiti...because of fear of cannibals in that area...yet, the survivors resorted to cannibalism to survive.

I give this one 2.5/5.

"The Walk" and "Creed" are playing here now. Will try and catch one of or both of those films.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 am

I saw Deadpool and holy SHIT it is amazing. Very very good and i went in super hype for it because the marketing team behind this film was freaking genius.

Amazing. and i hate how good it was.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 am

Continuing on my movie going binge....

"The Walk" - The basic story probably followed the truth but the Hollywood elements didn't destroy the story like in "In the Heart of the Sea". The acting was good and the effects were great. Perhaps it was a good thing I didn't see this one in 3D. The funny part was where I had to rely on subtitles in Japanese to try and suss out what the characters were saying in French! Score: 4/5

"Bridge of Spies" - Pretty good movie. Once again a true story put through the Hollywood grinders. What came out was a decent story served well by the film's director and principal actors. Okay, I admit it...I was really looking forward to the scene where the U-2 spy plane was shot down. That was really well done. Much better than the depiction in the made for TV I saw many years ago. Score: 3.5/5

"The Martian" - The title of this one over here in Japan is 「オデッセイ」, (Odyssey). Somewhat fitting I suppose. I enjoyed the movie. Though it lost a bit of its touch thanks to some similarities in structure with "Apollo 13". It was a good space movie. Score 3.5/5

Probably won't be going to see much more soon. The remaining films on show in town are a so-so bunch.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Went and saw the first "Kizumonogatari" movie tonight. I was reasonably impressed by the movie. Some of the scenes were quite strange (for example: main character skipping down the road past an overturned car). It was a nice looking movie but some points of the story seemed to be there just to keep things moving in the right direction. It did end on a good note...I said "Yeah, I gotta see the next part" when the release date was mentioned in the mini-trailer which followed the end credits. All in all I'm glad I saw this one on the big screen. Watching it on a TV or computer wouldn't have done it justice.

Update: Some details which caught my attention: The early/mid Showa-era cars zipping around on the mostly empty streets...yet the building architecture, furnishings, et al are definitely Heisei-era. And the name of the school written using pre-war era kanji.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:50 am

The Martian and Kung Fu Panda 3

beken

Postby beken » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm

Batman vs Superman - Dawn of Justice

it wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be. I thought Ben Afleck played a pretty good Bruce Wayne and Batman. I like him as Batman better than DareDevil.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Warcraft

Went to the preview showing but I have a friend in UK tell me it is already in theatres there.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Went and saw the new Godzilla movie, "Shin Gojira". The movie was pretty good. A lot of talking heads in meetings as the titular monster was busy stomping on Tokyo. All in all, I felt the movie stayed close to the mood of the first Godzilla movie. Thematically it followed the original premise too. Some of the music reminded me of the Evangelion TV series. I sussed out why after I got home and checked out the movie's entry on IMDB. Hideaki Anno was the film's screenwriter and he shares the directing credits. For me the movie was an 7/10 though I'm inclined to pad it to an 8/10.

Here are the trailers - no dialogue in either one:
#1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkxVHyzivg
#2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CJnBmsxRg

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Here are the comments I posted on MAL in a Cinema of Japan club's discussion thread about Shinkai Makoto's "Kimi no Na"...

"Saw "Kimi no Na" tonight. The opening sequence wasn't what I was expecting and it didn't click with me. It was like watching the trailer again. The rest of the movie was quite good. The depiction of buildings and stations in Tokyo is quite up to date. The story was engaging and, in some parts, quite entertainingly funny. After it was all over I felt there were a few parts where my sense of belief in the story was stretched a bit thin. I'd hazard to sum it up as a wonderful modern fairy tale. Might be tempted to go see it again."

beken

Postby beken » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Jason Bourne and The Secret Life of Pets.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:52 pm

beken wrote:Jason Bourne and The Secret Life of Pets.

Part of me really wishes that this was the name of a single film.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:36 pm

^ Hear! Hear! That would be awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Went and saw "Kizumonogatari II - Nekketsuhen". The fight sequences were a quite good but I thought the last one was a touch short. The conversation pieces between Hanekawa and Koyomi were quite fun to watch. The CG backgrounds were stunning. The choices of building they chose to render was quite interesting. They're from all over the place, not just Japan. All in all this film was pretty good. I won't rate it 10/10 like a lot of the folks who've commented on MAL. It's nowhere close to being a "masterpiece". It got the job done and did it better than competently. I gave it 7/10.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 am

Star Trek Beyond

Return to “TV & Movies”