What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
Psycho 101
Promoter

What movie did you see last?

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:14 am

So the other night when I spent some time to myself I went and saw Max Payne. For a video game adaptation it was pretty good honestly. They only focused on one part of the game's plot but for a 2hr movie that was probably best. Wahlberg looked the role and had a very convincing performance too. I was very impressed by it. Mila Kunis was decent as Mona Sax. Could have been better but wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she'd be. beau bridges also pulled a very good role as B.B. All around it's a fun action movie to watch and was fairly faithful to the material.

iwatch2muchanime

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:57 am

Psycho 101 wrote:So the other night when I spent some time to myself I went and saw Max Payne. For a video game adaptation it was pretty good honestly. They only focused on one part of the game's plot but for a 2hr movie that was probably best. Wahlberg looked the role and had a very convincing performance too. I was very impressed by it. Mila Kunis was decent as Mona Sax. Could have been better but wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she'd be. beau bridges also pulled a very good role as B.B. All around it's a fun action movie to watch and was fairly faithful to the material.

Was about to same almost the exact saem thing, saw it Saturday at 3 pm, and think basically the same thing, was prett good and glad I saw it. (Just wish the Dragonball trailer wasn't pulled)

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:01 pm

If we're talking theaters, I can't even remember, sadly. Haven't had the time to attack the theaters.

I guess the last one I watched was Dr. Strangelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.) That is a great movie. Anyone interested in history or political satire OR classic film should see this. THAT'S what Michael Moore or others like him should do if he doesn't want people (like me) to hate his guts.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

jetz

Postby jetz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 am

Knocked Up. I was preparing to go to school one day and I saw it was on HBO. I liked it so much that I ended up missing class ^_^'

Tony K.
Location: Frisco, TX, U.S.A., Earth, Sol System, The Milky Way

Postby Tony K. » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:11 pm

Last movie I saw was Black Hawk Down -- refer to the thread I made about it in this very forum. Didn't like it at all, worst Ridley Scott movie I've seen.

Last movie in theaters I saw was Eagle Eye. It was a pretty good popcorn flick. I'll make a thread about it later.
"You're an idiot!" - Dr. Gregory House

Liesl von Kaulitz

Postby Liesl von Kaulitz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 pm

I think the very last I've watched is The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I love the battle of the Pelennor Fields, but I prefer the one of Helm's Deep. *w*

And I just realized Legolas is the one who keeps clean all along the trilogy xDDD

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:45 pm

"That still only counts as one!"

Great movies, them LOTR-doohickies.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Watched Spaceballs last night. Needed a laugh. "I see your schwartz is as big as mine."

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Psycho 101 wrote:Watched Spaceballs last night. Needed a laugh. "I see your schwartz is as big as mine."

:lol:

There were some good lines in Spaceballs, but I always thought it was the least funny of Mel Brooks' comedies. I mean, Men in Tights was awful, but it was fast-paced funny in a terrible way.

The FUNNIEST one is History of the World: Part One. (There's no Part Two.)

Young Frankenstein is the "best," if we're talking professional viewing...psh. Like you can view any comedy professionally.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 am

Went to see Max Payne with some friends and it SUCKED, the acting was the worst thing, although some of the visuals and action scenes were kinda nice.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am

chrisb wrote:Went to see Max Payne with some friends and it SUCKED, the acting was the worst thing, although some of the visuals and action scenes were kinda nice.

Mind elaborating? I personally thought it was pretty decent for a video game adaptation movie. Be interested to hear why you think it sucked so bad.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 am

It was mostly the acting that I thought was very horrible, especially from the main bad guy and Max himself wasn't that great, plus that final kill was pretty anticlimactic. There was also a close up scene of Max's face which made me start laughing randomly.

Looking forward to Changeling though, that movie looks incredible.

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:11 pm

I didn't see Max Payne, but I'm inclined to say chrisb knows what he's talking about. It has some of the most abysmally bad ratings for a supernatural action movie across the board. :shock: 17% positive feedback. Truly universally bad movies hit in the upper 30th percentile.

I watched Sleeping Beauty, as I picked up the Platinum Edition this week. God love Disney for those Platinum Editions, but locking them away in a "vault" just because they're the only decent thing Disney puts out anymore is RETARDED.

I did finally get to see the trailer for The Princess and the Frog. Traditionally animated fairytale?! Really?! And cherubs descended from on high and said "Yippee! We love you, John Lasseter!" :lol:

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:35 am

There's nothing supernatural about it Jesu.

daxomni

Postby daxomni » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 am

I recently watched Coming to America (HD-DVD) and it was even better than I remembered. What a classic. I think it's one of the best comedies I've ever seen. It has an older, gritty feel but not as vulgar as modern-day comedies and unlike today's comedies the jokes are timeless and still funny decades later. It's funny how real parts of it feel even though it's completely over the top.

Oh, and I watched The Matrix again (HD-DVD) and I still enjoyed it, but on a large enough television the green hue when they're in the actual Matrix gets kind of annoying. I'm not sure why I didn't notice it before but it's kind of bothersome. The movie itself has help up pretty well except for the HUGE mobiles they have. :lol:

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Psycho 101 wrote:There's nothing supernatural about it Jesu.

Hey, John Lasseter can MAKE that happen if he darn well pleases. He's like the Chuck Norris of animation.

daxomni

Postby daxomni » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:11 pm

JesuOtaku wrote:Hey, John Lasseter [is] like the Chuck Norris of animation.

John Lasseter has always annoyed me with his self-serving intros to the SG films and his overblown public affections for Miyazaki. I mean, what is up with that guy? When I watch him I feel embarrassed for him and I wish that Miyazaki would just tell him to stop acting like a hyperactive child. Ugg. I guess I just really don't like that guy. Nor did I ever understand what was so great about Chuck Norris for that matter. Unless the man himself has long since been superseded by the meme?

Cloe

Postby Cloe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 pm

JesuOtaku wrote:Hey, John Lasseter can MAKE that happen if he darn well pleases. He's like the Chuck Norris of animation.

There's only so much he can do, unfortunately, as one small part of a huge conglomerate. In my experiences with the Disney Feature Animation Studio this summer, I've seen 2 people fired due to in-studio politics who absolutely didn't deserve it. Lasseter himself is a great guy, very easygoing and sincere, but he doesn't have nearly the amount of influence in the studio that Disney PR suggests. Just a few weeks ago legendary animator Glen Keane was kicked off the project he's been working on for 7 years, his directorial debut, his baby, Rapunzel. My respect for the studio is waning more and more with each day.

My roommate has seen The Princess and the Frog already (albeit, in unfinished, animatic form in the studio's screening room) and he said it was pretty good. Nothing brilliant, but people looking for a classic Disney princess story shouldn't be too disappointed. It's kind of amazing to walk around the studio (and see light tables and paper again! Light tables!!) and see all the master animators at work, though. It makes you appreciate the effort that goes into a film like this.

JesuOtaku

Postby JesuOtaku » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 pm

Cloe wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:Hey, John Lasseter can MAKE that happen if he darn well pleases. He's like the Chuck Norris of animation.

There's only so much he can do, unfortunately, as one small part of a huge conglomerate. In my experiences with the Disney Feature Animation Studio this summer, I've seen 2 people fired due to in-studio politics who absolutely didn't deserve it. Lasseter himself is a great guy, very easygoing and sincere, but he doesn't have nearly the amount of influence in the studio that Disney PR suggests. Just a few weeks ago legendary animator Glen Keane was kicked off the project he's been working on for 7 years, his directorial debut, his baby, Rapunzel. My respect for the studio is waning more and more with each day.

Oh, he's only a very small cog in the conglomerate, but the fact that he's pushed for as much as he has and gotten anything changed at all is impressive. I think Disney knew their reputation going downhill could precede their revenue and didn't mind forking over a little control.

I was not aware that Glen Keane was fired. He is a brilliant, hardworking individual who has been with that company (and that project!) for years. Infuriating! It's no wonder that Ron Musker and Jon Clements were planning on booking it. They could very well be given the boot as well after their Hitchcock's cat idea (which I thought was adorable and brilliant) fell through.

Richard J.

Postby Richard J. » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Last movie I saw (in a theater no less, which has become very unusual for me) was Max Payne. Thought it was a pretty decent movie given Hollywood's horrible track record with games turned movies. I don't see the acting problems mentioned but there a lot of narrative issues. I think it would have been much better if they'd kept close to the game's streamlined, action-packed storyline.

It was about a 1000x better than if Uwe Boll had directed though. :twisted:
Image Watching the fun. Image
Princess Tutu: Kid-tested, mother-approved. And Daddy like too. Mmm, Rue.

Return to “TV & Movies”