What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
beken

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby beken » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 am

I watched Frozen

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Went and saw ⸢そうして父になる⸥ ("Soushite Chichi ni Naru", English title "Like Father, Like Son") tonight. It's quite a good movie. Fairly low key. There was a lot of potential for typical Japanese melodrama and overacting but it managed to steer clear of that. The humourous moments were touching and the moments of stress and conflict were portrayed with restraint (which was fitting for the central character).
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

beken

Postby beken » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Need for Speed.
It was okay. I feel some of the stunts are improbable and definitely computer generated, but at least there are few if any unrealistic scenarios similar in nature to the worlds longest runway in Fast n Furious 6.

It was enjoyable but not a movie I would go back and see over and over again.

Paying extra to see this movie in 3D is a waste. But I didn't pay anything. I went to the prerelease screening :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Went and saw the 2014 edition of Godzilla tonight. It was a bit on the long side but the pacing was good so I didn't really notice its length. The carnage was well depicted and I generally liked the designs of the monsters. The story wasn't too bad and I found the acting to be fitting for the movie. If I had a list of personal favourite Godzilla movies then I'd definitely include it in the top five.

I also saw the trailer for the new Lupin III movie. It's a live action version and the preview looked pretty good. One minor complaint is that I would've liked the guy playing the titular main character to be a bit more lanky. Any ways, it's coming out at the end of August.

Hattie

Postby Hattie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy on Saturday – IN IMAX 3D (the only way)!!

Marvel has done such an excellent job with its properties thus far, which certainly doesn't stop here. The movie was incredibly fun and pack with so much fun stuff from Marvel universe. I want to see it again... I'm still processing it! I wonder if they're going to connect this to the Avengers in future movies. I mean, they kinda did a little bit (not a spoiler), but the movie is still technically it's own thing for now. Can't wait for the sequel.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Boyhood - Cute movie. Not the masterpiece everyone is making it out to be. 8/10

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Went and saw the 7pm screening "Omoide no Marnie" (When Marnie Was There) tonight. (Note to self: tickets to the late show are ¥500 cheaper.) I really enjoyed this movie. The story seemed a touch predictable from the start but close to the end it takes a quick turn and comes up with a nice surprise. Yes, I cried a small bit near the end of the movie. Of the three Ghibli movies I've seen in the theatres over here, I put this one in a close second spot after "Kaguya-hime no Monogatari" and ahead of "Kaze Tachi nu".

Here's one of the official trailers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO79qkKDUNY[/youtube]

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Just saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night, I would give it a 7/10. The CG wasn't bad, but it had alot of "post apocalyptic tropes" as my one friend put it. You know, some of it was predictable and some of it was like "physics doesn't work like that". But not bad

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:27 am

Saw the new "Lupin the 3rd" movie on opening night. For once I was in a theatre for the late show and the place wasn't empty. The movie itself isn't too bad. The fight/dance scene with Fujiko and Lupin was quite neat. There were plenty of action scenes and only a few of those overly long dialogue scenes which plague Japanese movies. Tadanobu Asano's talents were kind of wasted in playing an almost always snarly Zenigata. All the non-Japanese actors had their lines dubbed by Japanese voice actors. There were a number of cheap laughs in the film (first and foremost was the "You shot me" quip in the middle of a kung fu duel) but people don't react audibly to anything on screen in Japan. Makes me wonder if they're all dead silent when watching comedies.

PS: The anime/manga version of Lupin III does make an appearance in the film.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

I went and saw 「舞妓はレデイ」(Lady Maiko) tonight. It was directed by the fellow who directed the original Japanese version of "Shall We Dance?". It was okay. The ending lacked punch but the musical numbers (yes, this was a musical about a girl becoming a maiko-san/apprentice geisha) were quite fun. The concept of the movie would appear to have been taken from "My Fair Lady". One member each from AKB48 and SKE48 had bit roles in it too.

Here's the trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssWHL44q9BY[/youtube]

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Saw Fury tonight. For some reason or another admission was only ¥1100. I guess it was the snowy Sunday night rate. ;)

The movie was quite good. There were a number of times where I couldn't suss out what people's lines were. The subtitles sometimes were a bit beyond my ability so I missed out here and there. There was one indoor scene which didn't make much sense (I thought it dragged on and was kind of pointless) until the scene immediately after it. The fight against the Tiger certainly raised my heart rate. It was quite intense. Overall I give it 7/10.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 am

I saw the new Hobbit movie. It was pretty amazing. Sure didn't feel like 2 hours though. The battles were really nicely done, just like in Return of the King. The ending did veer away from the book but with Legolas and Tyriel being in the movies, and not the book, you had to expect it would. I still think it was a fine addition. I do still prefer the LOTR trilogy more though.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Went and saw "The Imitation Game" last night. I enjoyed the performances by the actors. But knowing the liberties taken by screen writers did take an edge off the film. Also, the naval scenes were so historically inaccurate they were embarrassing to watch. My rating of this film is three and a half out of five.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:55 am

I watched "Boyhood" on the plane back to Narita. Couldn't catch chunks of the dialogue on account of the cheap earbuds handed out on the plane. Very impressive movie nonetheless. It wasn't until after I landed that I was able to confirm the movie was filmed over a 12 year period. I had read that previously but didn't recall it while I was watching the movie.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 am

So im going to do something i never do. I was able to see a lot of movies 2014 and the year was a great year for movies. So i'm going to list all the movies i saw and split between what i LIKED and DISLIKED, not good and bad. BUT with what i liked being in the Great, Good and Bad split.

RETS GO.
(and in no specific order)

MOVIES I LIKED
GREAT: Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America Winter Soldier, Birdman, Nightcrawler, The Raid 2, The Imitation Game.

GOOD: Interstellar, Godzilla, X-men Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow, The Equalizer, John Wick, The Lego Movie, HG Mocking Jay 1, The Wind Rises.

BAD: Amazing Spider-Man 2, TMNT, Ride Along, The Maze Runner.

MOVIES I DISLIKED
FINE: Hobbit Battle of Five Armies, Maleficent

BAD: Sin City 2, Dracula Untold.

AWFUL: Transformers 4.

There are a bunch of 2014 movies i wanted to see and havent yet, Big Hero 6, Boyhood, Into the Woods, Whiplash, Robocop, If I stay, Theory of Everything, Fault in our Stars etc etc..

MOVIES BE GAWDRIEK

gonna see Jupiter Ascending this weekend and Kingsmen next weekend.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:13 am

Hot Tub Time Machine 2!

It was as ridiculous, obnoxious, and hilarious as the first. It's getting bad ratings i think but i honestly couldn't stop laughing. Some people say theres too many of a certain kind of joke, or theres some "plot holes" but seriously, if you're seeing a comedy about a HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, you aren't going for a perfectly cohesive plot, you're going for the comedy, and in my opinion the plot holes were so small it didn't detract from it.

So if you liked the first, I reccommend the second!

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Went and watched「海街Diary」last night. Was just thinking of something to do other than go out for drinks and karaoke.

It's the latest offering from Kore-eda Hirokazu, director of last year's acclaimed "Like Father, Like Son". The story is an adaptation of the manga "Umimachi Diary" by Yoshida Akimi. She's probably best known as being the creator of "Banana Fish". Anyways, the film has the trademark Kore-eda pacing and construction all over it. At first I didn't know he had directed the movie (there were no opening credits - just the title). About a third of the way through I felt it was like a Kore-eda movie. Was pleasantly surprised that my guess was correct when the end credits rolled by.

PS: the movie soundtrack was composed by Kanno Yoko.

PPS: By total coincidence I found myself seated next to my co-worker Ami. Surprising since there were only six people, including the two of us, in the the theatre.

PPPS: Saw the trailer for the live action "Clash of Titans" movie. Looks like it'll be fine summertime "sturm und drang"-ish material.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 pm

Minions.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:14 am

I was thinking of seeing it...until I saw that it's only being shown here in the dubbed in Japanese version. Of course, I kind of wonder about that. Don't the Minions speak some kind of jibberish?

beken

Postby beken » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:29 pm

apparently, they speak jibberish that English speakers in the movie seem to understand. But viewing audiences only understand after the english speaking movie characters reply to what a minion said.

Return to “TV & Movies”