Disney closing book on fairy tales

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
bashfulglowfly

Disney closing book on fairy tales

Postby bashfulglowfly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-et ... ory?page=1

Kind of sad to see but I can understand their reasoning. I really didn't like The Princess and the Pea myself. Can't put my finger on exactly why other than the characters just were not that interesting to me.

But, hopefully in their new animation choices they will still have female characters that are strong or become strong in their own way.

Sukunai

Re: Disney closing book on fairy tales

Postby Sukunai » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:31 am

Just like with Final Fantasy, they merely need to stop flogging the SAME fairy tales.

I just watched Shrek Forever eh, and it was great. Princesses still have a use in animation.
Expert counsel, generous advice from friends, and my own knowledge has left me realizing, I am all that a man needs to be a man, and yet, I live half my day with a woman's frame of mind all the same.
I'd rather something in the way of more mundane troubles :)

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Eh, oh well. I didn't like Princess and the Frog either but I think I actually know why. Part of it was the girl going "oh you don't have to kiss her if you really love me" and sacrificing her dreams for the sake of the prince, who had spent the majority of a movie being an ass to her. She went from strong female character to sacrificing it for a man in like 5 second flat if you ask me, it made me severely dislike her.

Hmm, I'm now trying to think of other Disney movies that had strong female characters that were not princess movies....I mean, Dreamworks has Fiona from Shrek and for non princess, Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon, while not the main main, was perfectly fine. Captain Amelia from Treasure Planet was a strong female character who was also able to fall in love without losing being a strong female character, but no one paid attention to that movie. Oh yeah, and there was Mulan of course. Who for some reason still gets put in with the Disney Princess, presumably for marketing reasons.

For the record, my favorite Disney Princess will always be Giselle from Enchanted.

But I'm just not sure what Disney is going to milk for ideas now, not couting Pixar which does their own thing. I suppose they could always just see what Dreamworks is doing and copy that. Or take whatever child star they're hyping up and use their voice in something with talking animals, that always seems to work.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey now they may actually come up with new ideas and make something good and stuff....

beken

Postby beken » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:20 am

Found this update to Disney fairy tales.

http://9gag.com/gag/aM1VOxX?ref=fsidebar

Return to “TV & Movies”