Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas and movies

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
Zanarkand Princess

Re: Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas and movies

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 am

So I finally got around to watching Anego(One of the few times I've actually watched something only because a Johnny was in it) and it was really adorable. I almost forgot that bakanishi used to be "cute and sweet" back in the day as opposed to the "bad ass and sexy" thing he's been doing for the past 4 years. Shinohara Ryoko was awesome as always too. Her thoughts and worries were always amusing to hear. The funny thing is that I meant to watch this show back when it first came out because I saw a CM for it while looking for Nana Kitade's KISS or KISS (the theme song) but had forgotten about it until recently when I was just looking for something new to watch.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm wondering if I'm now torturing my father. Since him and my brother are getting ready for a trip to Japan, and learning the language, I saw it as an oppertunity to get him to watch a lot of anime.

Well this weekend I took it the next step up and started introducing him to J-Drama. >.> My excuse is J-drama will probably show him more about customs and behavior, something I actually think is a lie with how overblown J-drama can be, but well... I wanted to see his reaction.

So I started things off with the Hana Kimi (Japanese version) and Pound no Fukuin J-dramas.

I feel horrible making him sit through them, but another side of me is laughing her ass off. He's laughed a bit, and claims he liked both (Glad I found something like Pound no Fukuin cause he loves fighting sports and it's about boxing) but I'm wondering if Hana Kimi is too much. I know he doesn't like over dramatic moments, which it's full of, but then you have the weird, bizzare, WTF humor moments (drama club, Martial arts club, Nakatsu) and he's laughing his ass off.

Maybe I'll just avoid suggesting we watch more unless he suggests it himself.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Pound no Fukuin

:lol: Oh this drama. I thought it was amusing anyway.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Zanarkand Princess wrote:Pound no Fukuin

We're liking it a lot (is the main guy the guy from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge? - probably spelt that wrong), but dad thinks it's a riot at all the weight he tries to loose and the like.

So this obvious points to my dad asking to watch more j-drama. He seems to actually enjoy watching it. I'm not forcing it on him. It's weird.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Littlewolf wrote:
Zanarkand Princess wrote:Pound no Fukuin

We're liking it a lot (is the main guy the guy from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge? - probably spelt that wrong), but dad thinks it's a riot at all the weight he tries to loose and the like.

So this obvious points to my dad asking to watch more j-drama. He seems to actually enjoy watching it. I'm not forcing it on him. It's weird.

Yes. He gets a lot of lead roles because he's co-leader in a popular boyband(as were almost all the guys in Yamanade) but he's cursed so his dramas don't do well. As was the young one playing Mukoda Katsumi(the leader in a popular boy band thing anyway) :lol:
I'm glad your dad likes the dramas. I'm going to try to get my mom to watch Tokyo Dogs with me and see how she likes it.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Zanarkand Princess wrote:Yes. He gets a lot of lead roles because he's co-leader in a popular boyband(as were almost all the guys in Yamanade) but he's cursed so his dramas don't do well. As was the young one playing Mukoda Katsumi(the leader in a popular boy band thing anyway)

I thought it was him, and even more surprised since I actually LIKE him in Pound no Fukuin. I really hate him every time he shows his face on the screen in Yamato Nadeshiko, but for some reason I love him as the idiotic boxer. Makes me suddenly wonder if he actually does have some acting skills.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

One Pound no Fukuin is a false alarm. He's a pretty bad actor.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat May 08, 2010 4:27 pm

I'll always consider this a bizzare year, what with my Dad wanting to learn Japanese, take a trip to Japan, watch anime with me, etc, but now... now I want him to shut up.

First, my dad's a pervert. I'm fully aware of it, and well, I just accept it as being what guys are. Part of his initial interest in all things Japanese lately I believe is due to those ga... ga... I don't remember the word for them, but they're those REALLY weird pervy videos of Japanese girls doing weird crap. He LOVES those. I don't really care.

But now, now that we're watching J-dramas and other live action Japanese shows and movies, and he's been looking up the actresses...

and he's discovered any weird pervy videos they've been in. Just the other day he was going on about the Mizuki actress in the Hana Kimi J-drama, and how she's really 26, and all the naughty naughty things she's been in.

I've been resorting to "SHUT THE HELL UP!" with fingers in my ears, trying desperately not to ruin how I see Hana Kimi since I like re-watching it every couple of years.

It's getting annoying. T.T

But anyway, we finished 1 Pound no Fukuin, and Hana Kimi. At a loss of what to show him next so just went to the Wallflower/Yamato Nadeshiko Shinchi Henge drama since I already had it downloaded. (He LOVES Sunako, meaning I'll probably be hearing about any naughty things she's been in) I'm wanting to try out something different now and am looking for suggestions.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any period pieces/mini series. Like... a live-action Shinsengumi show or something. Basically the Japanese equivalent of BBC's Masterpiece Theater. Does anything like this exist? Anyone know anything that's any good? I want costumes and drama.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun May 09, 2010 1:56 am

You should just start being pervy about Toma Ikuta then! As for suggestions, How about JIN ?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:43 am

I just started watching Real Clothes even though I ordered it like 4 months ago. It has its moments of J-drama cheesiness but it also has a lot of genuine cuteness and emotion. I'm enjoying the message of "The clothes don't make a person stand out, it's the person who makes the clothes shine." Of course I'm enjoying the beautiful soundtrack by my favorite nu-jazz artist Jazztronik and the sexy actresses, fashion, and cinematography are total eye candy.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 pm

So Hulu added a whole bunch of Korean dramas to their line-up, for some reason. Or at least I hadn't noticed them till now.

I've added the following shows to my queue:

Boys Before Flowers
Cinderella's Sister
Coffee Prince
IRIS
My Lovely Sam Soon
Pasta
Playful Kiss
Sungkyunkwan Scandal

Some, I've heard good things about, and others I've simply chosen because I've heard the title before. Should I remove any? Or something...?
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:11 am

I though Coffee Prince was really annoying, but lots of people love it so.. I guess it'll just be your preference really :sweat

beken

Postby beken » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Awhile ago, a local TV station broadcasted a Korean drama called Emperor of the Sea. 1 episode a week. I watched the first 20 or so episodes and enjoyed them, then it just got too long. It went on for over a year. I am told it is historically based.

Spoiler alert, [spoiler]in the last 5 or so episodes, they start killing people off and in the end, everybody dies[/spoiler].

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat May 07, 2011 4:07 pm

I LOVED Sungkyunkwan Scandal. Couldn't stop watching it, and downloaded it weekly while it aired. After that I wanted more historical Korean dramas which I've gone all over with. That brought me to Chuno (slave hunter) which was AMAZING (production values, fight coreography, costumes), outside of the ending which just pissed me off. But outside of the ending it was awesome. Trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16XWicuCA4I[/youtube]

Since Sungkyunkwan, I find myself watching waaaaaaaay more Korean dramas versus Jdrama, mainly because it seems historical are my thing versus the teen drama thing, and Japan is lacking in high budget historical (at least from what I try to find). It's getting to the point I'm really starting to recognize a lot of the same Korean actors like I do with BBC shows.

If I could find a Japanese equivalent to Chuno I would die a very happy girl. I didn't know jack about Korean history outside a few mahnwa, so Sungkungkwan opened me up to a whole new thing with it, and it's interesting, but as far as Asian history goes Japanese is my thing. Chuno though really revealed a lot to me I didn't know about Korea, especially concerning slavery. The story focuses on a man, a former noble who turns into a slave hunter to find the former slaves who burned his family home down, one of which he was in love with. From there spins around him political drama and loads of other stuff as with any good drama.

These shows have had me constantly online after an ep, looking up various bits about history. It's been fun. I'm trying out a new Korean drama called King Geunchogo which follows the life of Prince Yeogu (346-375), who became King Geunchogo and led Baekje (one of the Three Kingdoms of ancient Korea) to its greatest state... but this one is REALLY hard for me to get into, and there's a LOT for me to keep track of and look up in terms of names and historical events which I'm assuming is easier for someone who grew up with it.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 am

I liked My Lovely Samsoon. The main character's actress is funny. I heard that show's like a K-drama classic. I tried watching Playful Kiss, but couldn't get quite into it. Same with Coffee Prince, which wasn't bad, but seemed kind of awkward. My mom liked Boys before Flowers a lot.

Right now my mom and sister are liking 49 days. I'm liking More Charming By The Day which is kind of like another High Kick type of family/comedy sitcom. It's pretty funny and the characters are pretty likable for the most part. You can see both of those at dramafever ( which has commercials before and during the episodes.)

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Finally watched a full episode of the live action version of Moyashimon. It ain't great but it's good enough to keep my attention. Given that I didn't finish watching the anime version (it's sitting on a hard drive I left in Canada), it'll be a bit ironic (for me) that I'll finish the live action version first.

Speaking of shows which were anime series first and dorama next: I also dug up a live action version of Bartender. Not sure how that one will turn out...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:30 am

Let me know about Bartender. I loved the classy and beautiful anime.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Hey d.yaro... did you ever watch the Bartender drama? I enjoyed the anime like Chris, but I'm curious about the live version.

Right now I'm watching "Hotelier" on Crunchyroll. I'm just about done with it. It's fairly good, but predictable. I can already figure out how it's going to end, but I find that often with the dramas. It's an older drama, but I'm still enjoying it overall.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Sentire wrote:Hey d.yaro... did you ever watch the Bartender drama? I enjoyed the anime like Chris, but I'm curious about the live version.
Sorry...I utterly forgot I had it sitting on my external HD. So I dug up the first episode tonight. I was just going to watch the first few minutes but I ended up watching the whole episode. Once it got going I couldn't stop watching it. The beginning is quite different from the anime as the main character, played by Arashi member Aiba Masaki, is introduced as a former bartender. Unlike the anime character, he has yet to learn the art of being a bartender in contrast to being a prize winning "mixologist". I'll probably finish watching this. I've read some of the comments on the JDorama website and it didn't charm everyone. But I'm willing to give it a try.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Return to “TV & Movies”