Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas and movies

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
Zanarkand Princess

Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas and movies

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Anyone else watch these? It's not really much different then fansubs I guess.

Currently I'm watching You're Beautiful (Korean), Tokyo Dogs (Japanese) and Ohitorisama (Japanese)

usually they are only about as long as an anime series.
Last edited by Zanarkand Princess on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pastachan

Re: Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas

Postby Pastachan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:40 pm

I've only seen Maou, a Japanese drama based on a Korean one, and part of Uta no Onii-san. If you're familiar with both of these dramas, you'll see how I go about choosing which ones I watch. ;)

I need to finish Uta no Onii-san. It's just really long and hard to follow since the same thing happens pretty much every episode. Maou was really good, though. I couldn't stop watching it.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Pastachan wrote:I've only seen Maou, a Japanese drama based on a Korean one, and part of Uta no Onii-san. If you're familiar with both of these dramas, you'll see how I go about choosing which ones I watch. ;)

I need to finish Uta no Onii-san. It's just really long and hard to follow since the same thing happens pretty much every episode. Maou was really good, though. I couldn't stop watching it.

:lol: Ohno Fangirl

I try anything with Matsujun, Hiro Mizushima or Teppei Koike in it.

I wonder if I should change the title to include movies too?

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 am

Check out:
Life (Girl gets bullied, starts to fight back against bullies and corrupt school with her best friends. Great ending, bad people get what they deserve. Freaking awesome soundtrack.) http://wiki.d-addicts.com/LIFE

Kono Yo No Hate (Guy with no memory falls in love with a hostess, then bad stuff happens... very bad. Careful this is considered Japan's darkest tv show ever created) http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kono_yo_no_Hate

Please God Give Me More Time (Girl with AIDS, not soapy or cheesy at all, very heartwarming and breaking and doesn't go over the edge at all) http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kamisama_Mou_Sukoshi_Dake

Best dramas ever created, even won some awards.

if you want a very disturbing drama check out I Love My High School Teacher 1990 version: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kou_Kou_Kyoushi

When I say disturbing I mean like very bad. Not a lot is shown but what isn't shown is what is the most freaky. Practically every taboo relationship is shown. Psycho lesbians. Rapist teacher that videotapes his assaults who gets a student pregnant then beats her when she gets an abortion, then he gets his ass kicked by a fellow teacher when he finds out (best part in the show.) Innocent romance between a student and a teacher. Teacher tries to save girl from her psycho father.

even the 2003 version is downright bad http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kou_Kou_Kyoushi_2003

That rapist teacher is a good guy in this version who tries to atone for his sins... hard to like but hard to not see the good stuff he does like save a student from a psycho boyfriend. He gets what he deserves though. And another innocent student teacher love thing with the teacher who is dying from an illness.

Not gross at all but very emotional and heavy. Happy endings all around except for one.

Lighter stuff is Proposal Daisukekun. Guy goes back in time to make his crush fal in love with him before she falls in love with someone else. Sweet and incredible. Best romance/comedy ever. http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Proposal_Daisakusen
Last edited by chrisb on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:36 am

Last Friends is a really good recent "emotional" drama too. I never expected it to be so good.

If you're a shojo manga fan Kimi wa Petto, Zettai Kareshi, Hana Kimi, Hana Yori no Dango and Gokusen are good too. There's also a Taiwanese drama version of Peach Girl out there.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 am

Last Friends was awesome! I just hated the overly silly opening. Still awesome show.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:57 am

chrisb wrote:Last Friends was awesome! I just hated the overly silly opening. Still awesome show.

What! Prisoner of Love was awesome! And I liked the whole "Red string of fate" thing it had going on.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Back when Asian TV was still broadcasting, I watched a few dramas, mostly Korean. Honestly, I think I remember as a kid seeing some with my father - but I am not entirely sure how accurate that is. They were more samurai based. I also have a crunchyroll membership that I use for watching a few dramas. So far I've seen "Coffee Prince", "I Really, Really Like You", and for crying out loud... I can't remember the name of the one drama based on an extreme school bully.... she was scary. I'm currently watching "Spotlight" and so far, so good. I don't watch daytime soap operas, but for some reason, these "dramas" always catch my attention. "Inugami" is probably the one I'll watch next. That or maybe "The Painter of the Wind".

Including movies in the title wouldn't be a bad idea. I've caught a few films as well that I've enjoyed. One in particular that I have seen more recently was "Kikujiro". It was quite heartwarming.

Here is a site for catching some of these dramas/films: http://www.mysoju.com/

kyokun703

Postby kyokun703 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm a total noob in the J/K-drama watching, but so far I've really enjoyed the Grand Chef, and I'm starting Dae Jang Geum now. Grand Chef was good; I loved the romantic comedy aspects, and the food ('cause I'm a big foodie). Watching it made me crave Korean food like mad. Plus the actor who played Sung-chan was really cute.

Dae Jang Geum is a period piece set in the 1400s and is based on Korea's first female royal physician. I've only just started it, so that character hasn't been introduced yet, but it looks good so far. The hairstyles for women were crazy back then--giant braids wrapped around their heads like headdresses. This seems far more drama-y so we'll see if I like it as much as I did Grand Chef.

What I really want to watch is the Korean movie Antique (based on the Japanese manga Antique Bakery), but I haven't found any fansubs for that yet. I know there was a J-drama made as well, but they changed Ono's character (made him straight instead of gay), I have no interest in watching that one.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Ooooh! I have to watch Grand Chef now! I'm a wannabe foodie, not an expert foodie or anything. Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't realize they made a movie based off Antique Bakery as well. Something I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:23 pm

I really want to see this movie
Mostly because of Jin Akanishi getting a few solo singles and the lead part but also because it looks pretty good.

Saki

Re: Japanese/Korean/ etc dramas and movies

Postby Saki » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:10 pm

There was a time when Asian soap operas made it here. But the only one I actively watched and therefore liked was Oshin. I thought it was a pretty heartwarming story in spite of the sadness. Besides, it was dubbed in Spanish.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I can't watch dramas dubbed into any other language. It's too weird

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Japanese New Wave was basically the best time and place for film in the history of cinema. Sadly, like France's movement, its life was cut short far too soon.

The Criterion Collection is going to release Nagisa Oshima's early films in the near-future (sometime this year, hopefully); by any luck they can jump through the hoops necessary to license his late 60s and early 70s works, as those sound so radically different than anything done before or since.

In addition to that, they're also going to release Shohei Imamura's The Profound Desire of the Gods and Edward Yang's period epic, A Brighter Summer Day (a film for which I've built up an absurd amount of internal hype), and are apparently pursuing Yoshida Yoshishige's Eros Plus Massacre.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:08 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:I can't watch dramas dubbed into any other language. It's too weird

Def. agree. I am a big dub person on everything except live action movies. It just feels very unnatural when you know that those actors' nationality and have seen them in only works from the country of origin.

Forgot to mention Liar Game is seriously awesome. Glad it's getting a 2nd season. Starts off slow but then it just gets wildly entertaining after 2 episodes. Great trippy soundtrack too.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:46 pm

chrisb wrote:
Zanarkand Princess wrote:I can't watch dramas dubbed into any other language. It's too weird

Def. agree. I am a big dub person on everything except live action movies. It just feels very unnatural when you know that those actors' nationality and have seen them in only works from the country of origin.

Forgot to mention Liar Game is seriously awesome. Glad it's getting a 2nd season. Starts off slow but then it just gets wildly entertaining after 2 episodes. Great trippy soundtrack too.

I wasn't going to watch Liar Game but then I realized Hiro Mizushima was starring in it and now I just have to see it.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:18 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:Anyone else watch these? It's not really much different then fansubs I guess.

Currently I'm watching .... and Ohitorisama (Japanese).
Saw an episode of that one while my mom and I were staying in Okayama. I thought it was entertaining. I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down but it was a good find for my mom when she was channel surfing.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 am

d.yaro wrote:
Zanarkand Princess wrote:Anyone else watch these? It's not really much different then fansubs I guess.

Currently I'm watching .... and Ohitorisama (Japanese).
Saw an episode of that one while my mom and I were staying in Okayama. I thought it was entertaining. I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down but it was a good find for my mom when she was channel surfing.

I'm not much of a fan of the main actress so it's a bit annoying but I like everyone else enough.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 am

Anybody ever check out Ice World? It's a pretty beautiful and dark drama. A murder is somehow connected to one woman's 3 former fiances who were also killed so a cop and an insurance agent start to investigate and turns out it's not so much of a coincidence... well duhhh, it's still pretty awesome with a lot of twists and turns. It's a deep suspenseful story that turns pretty touching as it goes along. One of the best freaking soundtracks ever in anything, I own it and love it. I just remembered the series while playing the soundtrack CD.

Taiwan's Peach Girl was cool, fun and laid back. Hana Yori Dango... all dramas sucked. They ruined the original comic and anime's drama. I do prefer the Korean version from what I saw especially with that mean girl's catch phrase "Oh Mai God-u!" brilliant. Saw the old dramas a while back and just recently saw a couple episodes of the Korean one.

Hana Kimi was kinda fun but it was wayyyy to comic-booky and silly, but it was still amusing and entertaining. Saw it a few years ago when it first came out.

'Our Textbooks' is such an awesome drama, I saw that one a year or so ago and just finished it. It's about a high school girl's suicide and the investigation to see if it was suicide or murder which leads investigations into corrupt school systems, a teacher with a psycho son and bullies who are nice deep down and then a hostage situation for the finale. It also has a very emotional courtroom mini saga that really showed how messed up Japan's schools are when it comes to ignoring bullying but that people are making a difference.

And GTO is a great lighthearted but touching drama. Saw some of it about 4 years ago and also just finished it. Based on the Great Teacher Onizuka manga basically but the acting is incredible, the story has its incredibly hilarious moments and it's incredibly sad and heartwarming parts. Saw the movie a long time ago and trust me just skip that trash and enjoy the incredible drama.

Haven't had any time to watch Liar Game season 2 yet, I''ll have to marathon it on one of my upcoming vacation days.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Any fans of The Wallflower? I like him so I'm not going to just assume Kame will mess Kyohei up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js8OLzzsydA

I'm excited for this too because Ryosuke Yamada looks just like Lelouch with the whole eye thing :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuDA6YleVw

I'll also be watching whatever Shirota yuu is in

Return to “TV & Movies”