"Death Online" - An Installment of CBC's "the fifth estate"

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

"Death Online" - An Installment of CBC's "the fifth estate"

Postby d.yaro » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:09 am

First, the online article which I had stumbled upon: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/10/09/ottawa-kajouji-fifth-estate-diary-suicide.html?ref=rss&loomia_si=t0:a16:g4:r5:c0:b0

Second, the show itself: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2009-2010/death_online/

cbc.ca wrote:Death Online Synopsis
Her name is Nadia Kajouji: eighteen years old, pretty, self-confident, an ambitious student with her sights set on a career in law and politics. Her world seems bright, and her future limitless as she begins her first year at Ottawa’s Carleton University in the fall of 2007.

But, as the fifth estate reports in Death Online, Nadia’s world is about to change, in a tragic way, and what happens to her will lead to an international search for an Internet predator.

Nadia’s world began to fall apart soon after her arrival at Carleton University. In never-before-seen personal video diaries, Nadia records her descent into suicidal depression. The university assigns her a counselor, a doctor prescribes anti-depressants, but Nadia’s parents are never told about their daughter’s desperate mental state. Nor does anyone know of Nadia’s secret online friend, identified only as Cami D, who is pushing the fragile girl towards suicide. On March 9, 2008, Nadia jumped into the Rideau River. Her body would not be found for six weeks.

Far away from Nadia’s despair, in the English countryside, Celia Blay stumbles upon a cyber-world of websites, chat rooms and newsgroups all dedicated to suicide. More chilling, she discovers that one person, in particular, is encouraging severely depressed people to commit suicide. The retired schoolteacher turns amateur sleuth and tracks down the identity of this predator. She identifies him as William Melchert-Dinkel, a middle-aged nurse and father of two living in Faribault, Minnesota. Melchert-Dinkel has several online pseudonyms. One of them is Nadia Kajouji’s friend, Cami D.

The fifth estate’s Bob McKeown tells the story of Celia’s shocking discovery and her attempts to get police, first in England, then in the United States, to investigate William Melchert-Dinkel. When they finally do pick up the case, it is too late to save Nadia.

In Death Online, the fifth estate talks to Nadia’s parents and friends, to the amateur sleuth Celia Blay, and McKeown confronts William Melchert-Dinkel himself, asking him: why?
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

ningensei

Re: "Death Online" - An Installment of CBC's "the fifth estate"

Postby ningensei » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for posting these links, d.yaro, I hope everyone tries to read the article and watch the show.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:54 pm

An update to the above story: US authorities have charged William Melchert-Dinkel with two counts of aiding suicide. One charge relates to the death of Nadia Kajouji and the other to the case of man in the UK who committed suicide.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am

"U.S. man charged in Ottawa suicide to stand trial"

A judge in Minnesota has ruled that conversations aiding or encouraging suicide are not "protected speech" and therefore are not a First Amendment right.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Return to “TV & Movies”