What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
Il y Aura Du Sang
Location: Guam. 18 minutes away from the start of WW3. How's your day?

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:30 am

THE FIRST PURGE: makes no bones about its politics, forgoes horror in favor of pure adrenaline kills and some silliness in its last confrontations. A solid stream when it shows up in those services.

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: I liked the uses the movie finds for Ant-Man's powers, as well as how it handled the villain (both Ghost and Walton Goggins, who keeps reminding us of his greatness every single time). You could do worse, much worse at the multiplex currently (coughFALLENKINGDOMcough).
Nada nos libra. Nada más queda.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 am

HARD EIGHT: Paul Thomas Anderson's prima opera. The script shuffles and re-shuffles crime drama tropes to deliver a noir with little blood but a stunner of an ending. RIP Phillip Baker Hall, the MVP of the whole thing.

TANK GIRL: A sad case where faithfulness to the source material (on the sleek surface, at least) alienated audiences and success during its release. The structure tragically adheres to the "random stuff happens" model but the set design (stagey and all, at least without CGI) and the game, weird performances effectively save the film from boredom. A curio worth checking on the cheap, or free.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 am

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT: Two hours and a half that felt like a breeze, an action scene the filmmakers edited within an inch of its life and worth its audience's time. I take issue with the ongoing normalization of Scientology through the media's silence on Cruise's involvement, but the movie itself has no part in such ugliness.

UNFRIENDED 2 DARK WEB: The type of horror cheapie where nailing the atmosphere and pacing makes or breaks the experience. They succeeded. Worth a stream.

TEEN TITANS GO! TO THE MOVIES: I refuse to take TTG! seriously, or even see it. out of holding onto my memories of the original show. With that out of the way, the movie understands, just like THE LEGO MOVIE and THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE did before, that after the DCEU debacle audiences see these films to have fun, to amuse themselves with the adventures of whatever version of these superheroes they happen to be watching. Sometimes it takes a little skewering and self-deprecatin ("DARKNESS! NO PARENTS!"), but the movie can still tell a story of heroes coming together to make a difference. The movie will die a sad, public death at the box office, and that shouldn't happen. A treat for all ages, and I dug the original songs even if I rarely like that sort of thing. Maybe having them played in the biggest possible screen made a difference.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 am

GHOST STORIES (2017): Wears its staginess on its sleeve, uses little blood or violence. More of an experiment that fizzled out than a cinematic experience.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:34 am

Deadpool 2
Solo

beken

Postby beken » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 pm

Crazy Rich Asians.

I heard the book was pretty good and the movie had some good reviews (averaging 4.5 to 5 out of 5 stars). My wife wanted to see it so we went and watched the movie.
This is probably not a good movie if you understand some of the language and you think it is going to be good (based on American English speaking non asian reviewers).

Though I can relate to the situations in this movie, being a Canadian born and raised Canadian of Asian ancestry; and with a star studded Asian actor cast, the movie really was poorly produced.

The dialague switched between (for the most part) English and 3 different Chinese dialects. Which probably isn't a problem if they held the same language within any particular scene, but they were switching between different dialects mid-sentence. Some situations probably would be more likely to happen in a Cantonese culture than a Mandarian culture but the movie seemed to confuse that. In Singapore, where the second half of the movie is taking place, most Chinese there speak Fukien Chinese. But the majority of the Chinese spoken is Cantonese with sprinkles of Mandarin. Then to be more authentic, they throw in some Fukien for good measure. I guess it tries to make sure everybody is reading the English subtitles. But you lose quite a bit of the nuances of the language.

Also, in the interest of fitting the story into a 120 minute movie, they cut a lot of scenes that are in the book and not in the movie. Then they had to change bits of the story in order to try and maintain continuity.

The movie left me entertained, but confused as to what happened. I'm going to have to seek out the book and read the story. My wife tells me they change parts of the movie to try and fill in pieces that they pulled out of the story, and they did it in such a manner that the movie became more confusing. I felt some of the inserted parts seemed more like bloopers in movie making than something to make the story flow.

Il y Aura Du Sang

Postby Il y Aura Du Sang » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:32 pm

BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE: Drew Goddard's noir pays its respects to PULP FICTION in several spots while delivering much flair through its plotting and imagery. Several characters, each representing a facet of 70's culture in American history, come together at a motel with a sordid story and inflict the aforementioned bad times upon each other through their secrets and the lengths they will go to keep them. Go in cold and expect it to try and knock your block off.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 am

Went and watched Bohemian Rhapsody on Sunday. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Just a good romp through the life and times of Freddy Mercury from his start with Queen up to the Live Aid performance. Of course the movie has its share of historical inaccuracies but I checked on those after seeing the movie. All in all, reflecting on the movie I think it could've had a bit more flare and a better handle on the concept of "larger than life". It didn't have to be over the top on production but it could've done a bit better job on the little things that turned into great things.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Return to “TV & Movies”