What movie did you see last?

What's new in Hollywood? What are you watching on TV? Got any classics you wanna discuss? Here's the place.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: What movie did you see last?

Postby d.yaro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Went and saw "Ghost in the Shell" tonight. Wow.... It's a pretty dumbed down entry in the GitS franchise. Couldn't understand why the action scenes seemed kind of lifeless. I'm kind of echoing the reviewer on the CBC website when I say the soul has been sucked out of this movie. There are a lot of scenes lifted straight out of the original movie but they just don't have the same impact. Even the poor basset hound was unable to lift its scenes above "meh".

I saw the subtitled version tonight. I sort of wonder if I should of seen the dubbed in Japanese version. While the idea is tempting, it might not actually make a difference.

I'm giving this one a 4/10.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Wed May 03, 2017 8:22 am

Fate of the Furious (fast n furious 7) was a fun movie. Not a lot of realistic physics happening here, but lots of action.

If you've watched all the previous FnF movies, then you'll find all the bad guys are now good guys and the bad guy in this movie gets away....meaning there will probably be another one. Actually, you probably should watch most of the earlier movies to get some context of why certain things happen in this movie.

They've killed off a few people so a few won't be coming back.

I enjoyed it for the action and comedy.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Star wars - Rogue One - spoiler alert: everybody dies
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - spoiler alert: dad dies
Beauty and the Beast - spoiler alert: Beast gets shot multiple times but doesn't die. Gaston dies but is very much alive at the end of the move during the credit roll.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Went and saw "Hacksaw Ridge" tonight. Doubt it's playing in Vancouver which is where I'll be this week Thursday to next Monday. I found the movie to be a bit draining. Good movie but the seppuku scene near the end was rather gratuitous.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Baby Driver.

Kind of like a long music video of Grand Theft Auto.

A bit of a hoaky story line, lots of corrupt and noncorrupt cops, and bad guys get killed.

I probably wouldn't watch it again.

On the other hand, it was humpday Date night at the Cineplex VIP cinema. Where for $50 (that's $35 USD), you get reserved seating for two, in these cushy fully adjustable recliners (very comfortable) with tables, and dinner for 2(included in the price) and drinks (you have to pay for your drinks, which may have alcohol) served at your seat. Then after the movie, you can sit in the lounge and eat and drink at the bar all night if you want.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Saw the live action Gintama movie tonight. I was the first person to buy a ticket for that screening of the movie. A few other people came in afterwards. It followed the arc which was covered in the previous anime movie (I think). I haven't watched Gintama since way back when the series started. The movie was quite fun (actress who played the pistol packing gal was pretty bad though), the action scenes were well done; there were plenty of gags and puns; the timing of the humour was perfect and it was as irreverent as ever. I read afterwards that the Warner Bros. logo and intro were played three times in the anime movie. Only twice in the live action movie (at the start) as there wasn't a big argument at the end of the movie (what? no sequel?).

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:25 am

Saw "Wonder Woman" last night. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Good action scenes and a well paced story. Minor details which were a bit out of place such as a German triplane on the ground which was out of service by 1918 and the British tank, at a German base, which WW almost used to crush "Dr. Poison".

Also saw "Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?" last week. It was okay. They stuck to the original story but added in stuff to stretch it out to a feature length movie. Some of the "What if?" hints embedded in the movie were a bit daft. Making the characters older and having a setting of a very modern looking, fancy, junior high school (or was it a high school) worked for the sake of the story. The characters in the original TV movie were elementary school kids in what was basically a one classroom school. MAL link is here: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34498/Uchiage_Hanabi_Shita_kara_Miru_ka_Yoko_kara_Miru_ka?q=uchiage

Return to “TV & Movies”