"Settlers of Catan" Makeover

A section for all us gaming nerds to come together and chat about the coolest new games or favorite classics.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

"Settlers of Catan" Makeover

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 am

I've never heard of the game but I was intrigued by the idea of integrating board game play with computer technology. The story here gives you an idea of what they're trying to get at: http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/01/26/consumer-electronic-board-games.html. The YouTube video embedded on this page gives you a look at what they're aiming to do: http://www.hml.queensu.ca/node/249.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

daxomni

Re: "Settlers of Catan" Makeover

Postby daxomni » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

I've played this game and it was fun just the way it is. I really cannot imagine how adding a computer component to it would make it any better. Everyone I know already has some sort of computer gaming system somewhere in their house. If we want to be on a computer we'll fire it up and play on it. Board games are more about human interaction. You can take time to joke around and read body language and go at your own pace. Shoving a computer into the board game mix isn't likely to improve on the experience in any useful way. This thing has POINTLESS GIMMICK written all over it.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Obvioulsy this is a little outdated, being over a year old, but I think this is really interesting. I had never played Settlers of Catan until I moved up here, but now I have played it several times. My boyfriend and I actually met at a Settlers of Catan party. :3 While I do think this is very much a gimmick, I would want to see it in action once and then go back to the traditional method. It sounds like there is too much involved in game set up for it to really be worthwhile, and it's not like it's a hard game to play as it is, and it doesn't seem this technology will make it any easier. I do think it is interesting that their ideology behind creation is a cultural fascination with technology. If this would help people peel themselves away from televisions, I think it might be worth it. It would also be interesting to see this integrated into similar games like RISK.

Krimson

Postby Krimson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:16 pm

There is an official site for free online play: http://www.playcatan.com/

Return to “Video Games”