What are you playing?

A section for all us gaming nerds to come together and chat about the coolest new games or favorite classics.
classicalzawa

Re: What are you playing?

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 am

Oh man, We Love Katamari is just one of those games I can always pop in at random. And I always seem to break some sort of record. This time though, I'm especially proud. On the "Just Right" level, which is where the game tells you to make it as close to a certain size as possible but doesn't display the size (it shows you a goal size on the screen when you start but takes it away pretty quickly), you have to stop rolling yourself, the medium level's goal size was 2m. And guess what? When I went to the end to find out how big I made it, it turned out to be: [spoiler]2m[/spoiler], [spoiler]0cm[/spoiler] and [spoiler]0mm[/spoiler]. I mean, how in the hell does that happen? I feel like you'd get a little bit of size added or subtracted there, how the hell did this happen?! Needless to say, it gave me a bit of a high.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:45 am

I'm loving the developer, Kairosoft. I played and finished their game, Game Dev Story, which is a management simulation and really enjoyed it. Then I started their other game, Pocket Academy, which is another management simulation (I guess that's the only type of games that they make?) and I love this one even more GDS, although it's not without its flaws. Still I'm having a ton of fun with it and definitely plan to buy and play all of their other games for Android.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

classicalzawa wrote:Oh man, We Love Katamari is just one of those games I can always pop in at random. And I always seem to break some sort of record. This time though, I'm especially proud. On the "Just Right" level, which is where the game tells you to make it as close to a certain size as possible but doesn't display the size (it shows you a goal size on the screen when you start but takes it away pretty quickly), you have to stop rolling yourself, the medium level's goal size was 2m. And guess what? When I went to the end to find out how big I made it, it turned out to be: [spoiler]2m[/spoiler], [spoiler]0cm[/spoiler] and [spoiler]0mm[/spoiler]. I mean, how in the hell does that happen? I feel like you'd get a little bit of size added or subtracted there, how the hell did this happen?! Needless to say, it gave me a bit of a high.

I loooove katamari, is that the only one you play or do you have the others too?

I have em all :D

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:59 am

^ I own Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari. I've played Beautiful Katamari before. Haven't played any of the other ones. Or Noby Noby Boy, how is that?

Anyway, Dragon Quest 6 time over here! I bought that game when it came out. And it sat in shrink wrap until last night. No, I am not kidding. I wanted to try and play more of 5 before rewarding myself with 6 (actually wanted to beat 5, I am near the end, but I hate hate hate grinding). But so far....I really like the beginning of 6. Much more than either 4, 5, or 7. I'm a bit more absorbed in the story already, wasn't quite expecting to get into 6 so fast.

Oh and that Digimon pre-order is on the brain, this main's name is Joe, lol! Actually, Black and White 2 come out in the same week as the Digimon DVD, maybe I'll name that main Izzy....I keep track of my Pokemon games by the trainer's name.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Persona 4 Arena is OUT and im playing that now. A lot. Gotta practice practice practice.

It's quite fun, a very different take on a fighting game might i add. Movement is different, combo system is different and the amount of button configurations is crazy.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Man if only I didn't suck so badly at any fighting game that isn't Super Smash Bros, I would so want to get Arena. Gotta love that Persona goodness!

On the plus side though, I am tearing through DQ6, I seem to just love it!

I also started to replay Kingdom Hearts. Man, maybe that was more fun to me in 2002, these days I'm going "who thought that was a good design choice?!" left and right, lol. And I want to continually slaughter the teammate AI. And yell at the enemies for taking such cheap shots at me. It's like, I kinda wanna try and get into the series again, I stopped after 2 let me down so hard, but now that the story is more convoluted with more retcons than even the biggest anime/manga franchises, I'm kinda like "this doesn't seem worth it". Though I understand the PSP game is supposed to be a legit good game, and it sounds like since it's the most prequel, the story should stand on its own pretty well.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Played Portal 2 co-op with my friend. I'm the only one she can play it with, her bf is too incompetent at the controls, whereas I did play Portal 1. Also, I don't own the game, and have no beaten co-op myself. She tried to do it online, but was only ever matched up with stupid 14 year olds. So it's pretty much only me, but that's cool, cus this works out best for both of us!

I also tried out Lollipop Chainsaw at her place, which, combat wise and humor wise, feels like a definite successor to No More Heroes, but stuff like explodey zombies with a low level of intelligence reminded me of the Heaven's Smiles from Killer7

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:44 am

A couple of days ago, I went back to playing Diddy Kong Racing and to my surprise after years of not playing it, I've somehow gotten BETTER at the game than I ever did when I initially got the game and played the hell out of it. You would think that not playing a game in almost a decade you would be extremely rusty, right? Well, it's the exact opposite in my case; not only have I gotten better, I have SHATTERED track records at all but 1 of the game's racetracks, personal bests that have stood for over a decade. Maybe I need to check TwinGalaxies to see how my lap times compare to those that are actually on the leaderboard.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 am

Back to more Mass Effect 3. Going Renegade with my male and female now. I have to say this trilogy is just one of my favorites. It's really nice all the work they put into the side characters and little choices. Most game sets the decisions and discussions you have in game 1 have 0 impact in game 3 or 4. Here they do and it's nice seeing the little NPC character discussions I had in 1 and 2 have impact in 3. Plus the more of them you had basically the higher your war rank in the end as they wind up being resources. Looking forward to NHL 13 this fall though and Resident Evil 6. A new RE movie and game within a month of each other and each has returning characters......thank you lord. RE 6 simply looks AMAZING so far. Oh and there's Halo 4 too. Excuse me while I joygasm in my chair now.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 am

Man, I really wanna get a PS3, but I wanna get rid of that 360 Arcade first, and....well I thought about it and realized that I dunno where I would literally put a PS3 system. I'm plenty of room for games (sorta), but the system itself....
I'd wanna get the God of War collection (I have 1 and 2 for PS2, but this set is cheaper than getting 3 and the PSP ones), Sly Collection (even though I still have them for PS2, I just love those games to death), Sly 4, Journey Collection, El Shaddai Infamous collection, Enslaved, 3D Dot Heroes, I guess that should be enough, but is it enough to justify buying a whole system...

In the meantime, I'm still all over Dragon Quest VI. Been job grinding lately.
I also played a bit more Xenosaga II, which I am definitely not enjoying as much as 1, which I damn near marathoned. And when I booted it back up, I totally forgot that I need either Shion or Momo in my party to escape. Then forgot I could....just switch them in....and I was on a timer bs thing too, I actually barely made it out in time though! The whole "you have 30 minutes before the base explodes" sort of thing was going on. I had like a minute left, but I still made it!

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I still have no reason to get a PS3, especially when just about any 3rd-party game I can get on there I can get on Xbox 360. That, and Halo. Anyway, I'm back on my PS2 and playing some World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions and I must say that my poker skills are a little rusty. Also, I found another good reason to get the Wii U before Microsoft and Sony's upcoming systems: Bayonetta 2.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:31 am

Well... Pokemon, duh!

I just gotta comment on some of the Broken Bridges in this game, as they're possibly some of the funniest in Pokemon yet. They're quite aware, one crossing has like 8 identical guys all in a row slowly spinning in random directions. Every one of them says something like "we're dancing here for no reason and some day we'll move for no reason" and another one is blocked by a guy trying to see how many people the bridge can hold and they can't let any more people on. Seriously? But yeah, they're quite self aware, it's pretty funny in a way that I'm willing to let it slide. This time....

beken

Postby beken » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 am

Need for Speed the Run

In my spare time hobby of running soundboards for bands, one of the people in a band I mix for is a guitar player who also happens to be the project manager for Need for Speed at Electronic Arts. He gave me a copy of Need for Speed the Run.

Actually, he gave it to me awhile ago. But in order to run it on my fairly new PC (built in January 2012), I had to upgrade my Graphics card. It needs DirectX 11. The one I had was old. After installing a new graphics card, I found it rather annoying that this game needs to install EA's Origin platform in order to run. That means the game can only be run with online connectivity. You can't just buy the game, install it and play it offline. You need to register with EA and they keep track of your progress through the game. Other than personal privacy issues and the fact that the platform keeps nagging me to buy other games, it's not too bad.

The game takes awhile to figure out on the PC as it was probably originally designed for XBOX and then ported over. I have a steering wheel with shift paddles, feedback and pedals and the buttons have different descriptions than the game options mapping has, so you have to figure out which button means what.

Once that is figured out, then you can configure your car (manual/auto transmission, suspension settings, nitro, wipers, etc). Also, the videos that pre-amble the game are rather long at the beginning and if you restart, there is no way (at least I haven't found it) to bypass the videos and get straight to the driving part of the game. I have to say, the graphics rendering of Need for Speed the Run is the best I have seen of any game I already have. I do have a few.

Once driving, this game is adrenalin pumping. Everything happens very fast, like driving a real car. The handling characteristics are very close to those of real cars. I have driven a few real ones and the handling of them in the game are very similar. Of course, I would not crash the real cars, nor drive as fast, as the ones I drive in the game. My heart is pumping at the end of every stage.

The game keeps track of the hours of driving you do. So far, I have driven a total of 4 hours. I am now a level 9 driver (still sort of beginner), and am one stage past Las Vegas. The game starts from a scrap yard outside of San Francisco. You have to outrun the mob and the police and get to the starting line in San Francisco where the race starts. You run a number of stages to get to Las Vegas. I have reached Las Vegas and raced the first stage where you need to avoid all manner of police to get to the first checkpoint. The goal is to eventually get to New York.

The packaging give fair warning to not play this game when tired or if you have a medical condition, including epileptic seizures or heart problems.

Fun stuff.

BTW, I have been told they are working on the next installment of the Need For Speed franchise and he will get me a copy of that also when it comes out. : )

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 am

So I finished Max Payne 3. I gotta say, this game was lots of fun. It is a different direction for the series but it's been 8-9 years since Max Payne 2. Simply continuing on from where it left off.....I don't think it would have worked well. While this didn't have as much of a film noir feel to it the game did still have the gritty rough edge feel to it. Overall I have to say despite the new direction this game works very well. I am a bit upset they didn't go with the DOA setting ending from Max Payne 2. Was hoping they'd have brought back Mona Sax but no such luck. I hope they make a 4th Max Payne and don't make us wait forever again. I am very happy though they got Max's VA back for game 3.

Next up is to try and get myself a copy of RE6 sent to me via Gamefly. After I knock that baby off I'll be primed and ready for Halo 4.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:23 pm

^I find myself in a somewhat unique situation. There's a lot of good games out and I'm broke as a joke. I won't be next year, though. ;) Which reminds me, I need to get around to playing Halo 3: ODST. I've had that game for almost a year now, not to mention I have around 10 other games I need to get around to playing or finishing...

Truered

Postby Truered » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Been playing LA Noire quite a bit recently, and I'm also near the end of Max Payne 3.

I've preferred LA Noire a lot more, if only for the lack of main character whining and/or wave after wave of enemies in a game that is trying to be all realistic
Image Image Image

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Just got Silent Hill Downpour via Gamefly. Gonna try that out tonight.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:20 am

Back to playing Soulcalibur III. Came back to that game realizing I had a lot more to unlock before I moved onto SCIV. Since I got back to playing that game, I've found myself playing for at least 3 hours at a time. It had been a while since I found myself playing one game for that long. Finished Chronicles of the Sword and decided to start another one. I'm going to have more gold than a 49er if I continue to play as much as I have.

Here's something to think about: the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 costs $60, while Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3 and 360 is the same price. I think I know which one I'll get in the near future.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 am

I've been doing Join Ave stuff in Pokemon White 2 every day for a good week or so now. Now, all the people's names begin with A or J, but I noticed that my mart owner was named "Noah". I read that coming into contact with different games can do this. It finally dawned on me that that is my friend's player name in his B(or W) 1 game. And I did indeed battle him with my White 2 team last time I hung out up in DE. It's the only explanation I can come up with!
Oh and Burgh showed up! That boosted my join ave rank by like, 1000! I wasn't aware the "celebrities" could stop by the join ave, but that's pretty cool!

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:08 pm

I got 3 more games that I'm playing right now. I'm currently playing Halo 3 (studying the multiplayer maps), Call of Duty 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2. I'm going to be pretty busy with those three games for a while.

Return to “Video Games”