Project cars

A section for all us gaming nerds to come together and chat about the coolest new games or favorite classics.
beken

Project cars

Postby beken » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Looks like there will be Project Cars 2 coming out near the end of the year in 2017.
Project Cars 1 went on sale around fathers day so my kid gave me a Steam gift card to go and get it.

Project cars is like a racing career. You start out driving go-Karts and work your way up to Formula 1 level of cars.

It is very realistic in that you can set up the car, join an racing team, and do all sorts of thing associated with a racing careers, including signing contracts and other tangent activities beyond just driving.

I set up a goKart but adjusting wheel alignment, brake bias, tire pressures and just drove. It is great fun. I got to learn how differing tire pressures and brake balance affect handling and stopping distances.

Then I jumped into a big Mustang GT and drove the coast highway without any special adjustments and went flying off the curves and killing myself many times over. The physics are much more realistic in this game than my other driving games. I had read somewhere that it was illegal to program in real car crashes, especially when involving street racing or police chases. In the need for speed games, they switch cameras and do a slow motion of a car flipping over, or a police car crash in slow motion and rather improbable physics. So you don't actually see a real live bloody crash. I suppose since Project cars involves racing on controlled race courses/tracks, they don't bother with the scene cutaways when a crash happens. In one case, I crashed into a wall and I felt like I was going to go through my monitor. This game also has a VR display mode so I could imagine myself with VR headset on, bumping my head into my monitor. :oops:

The graphics are sensational. Puts my Need for Speed games to shame. I suspect when Project Cars 2 comes out, it would require a newer and more powerful graphics card on my gaming PC. I could hear the fans come on a lot more on this one already.

For just getting in and driving, I think I like the Need For Speed games better. You just get in and drive. Project Cars, there is a lot more you need to be aware of to be able to drive well, and you spend a lot of time setting it up and testing and getting used to the set ups. But I do like the graphics much better and the ability to replay your drives from different camera angles is great fun. The record and replay your drives was lost in the Need for Speed franchise about 8 years ago.

beken

Re: Project cars

Postby beken » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Project Cars 2 releases tomorrow.

I am following this group called Actrolvision that have people on a team and races online. Since they are such avid racers, they have a early version of Project 2 Cars and the graphics and car set ups are even more realistic.
Project Cars is no longer considered a racing game and more a car racing simulation.

Since I'm still getting my feet wet with Project Cars 1, I don't think I will spend the big bucks and get PC2 yet.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 am

My Logitech G27 steering wheel has broken. :(

Seems the encoder is made of plastic and it warps or cracks shortly after the warranty expires. The fix seems very complicated, and the replacement part is not available. It's shame that something so expensive can be done in by such an inexpensive piece. Grrrrr!

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm

If only they made entry-level racing wheels with clutch pedals...

beken

Postby beken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 am

I had a Thrustmaster "entry-level" wheel before I got the G27. I have to say, it felt more linear than the G27 and I enjoyed driving with it more. However, it was made out of plastic and the first thing that broke was the pedals. Particularly, the part that holds the tension springs. Next part to break was the steering paddle shifters. They really broke. Cracked at the joints.
My conclusion is the plastic bits take quite a beating. Little did I know the digital encoder inside the G27 was plastic and subject to heat warping.

Return to “Video Games”