What are you playing?

A section for all us gaming nerds to come together and chat about the coolest new games or favorite classics.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: What are you playing?

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 am

Not a video game but close enough in my books...I'm in the process of downloading Simcity: Complete Edition. This is the Mac Appstore version. It comes with 5 DLC packs. I suppose I'll get burned when they lower the price a couple of months down the line (it's been known to happen) but I'm willing to pay for the pleasure of playing it now rather than then. This version is a solo play only version with no compatibility with the Origin/EA version of the game. I didn't want to bother with Origin so being able to purchase an Appstore version is a big plus for me.

...Of course, the minute I figure out the basic game mechanics I'm going to start searching for mods to the game. :lol:
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:56 am

still doing my fighting game thing. Newest game being Guilty Gear XRD. Won a local tournament over the weekend.

also borrowed a Wii from the house we were staying at to play Xenoblade Chronicles which is surprisingly fun, open and interesting.
imagining the new Xenoblade for Wii-U being a million times bigger is kind of daunting for a Wii franchise game lol

also a whole lot of Candy Crush and Hearthstone

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:34 am

Anybody get Dragon Ball XenoVerse yet? I have it for the Xbox One and I must say that I actually like the game.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed May 27, 2015 1:17 am

The other day I finished Super Mario 3D Land so now my focus is on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on the 3DS.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:44 pm

I bought Rare Replay for the Xbox One a couple of weeks ago and a compilation from this company has been long overdue! To start off with, I've been playing the hell out of Battletoads, Jetpac, RC Pro-Am, and Killer Instinct Gold. Right now, I'm about to get started on Conker's Bad Fur Day, one of my all-time favorites.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Back to playing Wii MarioKart. My kid spent a few weekends wiping out all my time trial record times.

Going to have to put her back in her place.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Trackmania

You need to get gold medal times on all the tracks before you can open the Black level.

I have my homestay student challenging on the track times. I think his reflexes are faster than mine. If we open up the Black level, I think I will purchase other versions of Trackmania. It's rather good fun.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Simcity - the 2013 version. Looks nice but is a bit on the boring side. I spend a lot of time waiting for funds to accumulate so I can do something. Causes the fan on my 2014 Macbook Pro to kick in. Don't like that...

My score for the game: 3/5

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 pm

My focus is currently on a couple of games at this point: Saints Row on the Xbox 360 and Mega Man X for the Super Nintendo.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Went out a made a few purchases in the iTunes app store over the past few weeks. Here's a quick run down on my purchases:

"Zenge" - Interesting little puzzle game but not much bang for ones dollar. Once completed I've replayed bits and pieces of it when I'm absolutely bored and don't want to tackle anything challenging...or Minesweeper, again.

Beautiful "Go" - No instructions per se and it's basically just a digital "go" board with digital black and white playing pieces which can be placed anywhere at whim. In other words, it's not really a computer game. Pointless...deleted.

"Frotz" - A collection of Infocom games. Unfortunately, the game "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" which was mentioned in either the game description or reviews was not to be found. Played a bit of Zork. Couldn't get back into it. Deleted.

"Year Walk" - A puzzle game with a touch of horror elements in it. Wracked my brains trying to solve one puzzle. Gave up and peeked at a game play through blog post. Realized I had applied the clues to the wrong puzzle. Not a bad game. It has a good, though short, story inside the game. You really need to get the "Year Walk Companion" to get the bits which flesh out the story. There were a few scenes which were darn right spooky and one which was outright frightening. Not much immediate replay value. Sort of like going through Myst a second time with all your notes from the first time through it.

"Submerged" - An exploration game. No combat. I had a bit of trouble controlling the movements of the main character initially. Once I had figured it out I had pretty good fun with the game. But the high number of crashes detracted from my enjoyment of the game. Still have it on my iPhone just for the pleasure of zipping around in the boat...and trying to figure out where the last and 60th piece of a picture story in the game is hidden. One really has to take the time to explore absolutely everything in the game to get full value. Some reviewers claim that's boring. Not I.

"Lost Echo" - A piece of interactive fiction rendered in pretty good graphics. Yes, rendered. Not hand drawn and painted like the next entry. Just started it. Clever effect...you get a phone call in the game and your iPhone vibrates like you're getting a real phone call.

"Transistor" - An exploration game with combat and an pretty good story to go with it. The music is quite nice and the artwork is pure eye candy. You get next to zero instruction on the combat mechanics of the game. Only one set of two hints in the second battle. The rest you have to figure out on your own. You can wander around and pick up interesting tid bits of information that embellish the story line of the game. I started out very tepidly with the game. Then got hooked and played it for very long sessions (relatively speaking) that lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Unfortunately that led me to catching a cold. The scratchy sore throat from belting out Zaz's "Champs-Élysées" at karaoke during my Sunday night drinking session (I was celebrating a friend's birthday) turned into an all out cold. Symptoms are a sore throat, cough, and runny nose. Ah...the price one pays for indulging too much in a good thing.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm playing Growlanser:Wayfarer of Time. I started a little while ago but didn't get very far before I sold it, so I hope I can finish it this time. Love the colorful Satoshi Urushihara art.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 am

choski2 wrote:...Love the colorful Satoshi Urushihara art.
He's still kicking around eh? I think I still have his art book of character drawings from Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear (both were one shot OVAs).

choski2

Postby choski2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:29 am

d.yaro wrote:
choski2 wrote:...Love the colorful Satoshi Urushihara art.
He's still kicking around eh? I think I still have his art book of character drawings from Plastic Little and Legend of Lemnear (both were one shot OVAs).

I'm not sure, since it might be an older game. Cool. I liked his manga that came out in the nineties.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 am

Playing Tales of Hearts R on the Vita atm. After feeling like it was mediocre for a while, I'm starting to like it a lot more. The characters are pretty charming.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:56 am

My most recent game that I've started is Megaman Zero 2. It's one hard-ass game. It took me about a hour just to beat the intro and probably another two just to beat the first boss. The sad thing is that I have not beaten any game for the first time in all of 2017. The closest I've come to doing so was on Wind Waker when I made it to Ganon, but I've been sidetracked since the release of the Nintendo Switch (bought mine on launch day).

beken

Postby beken » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 pm

I mentioned to my kid that Project Cars was on sale on Steam so she got me a Steam gift card.

Project Cars is on sale because Project Cars 2 is about to be released. If I were to get PC2, I would probably need to upgrade my graphics card and upgrade the RAM on my gaming machine. My gaming machine is coming up to 5 years (Gee that went fast) old. The machine was last upgraded because it was having trouble keeping up with Need for Speed most Wanted. So Project Cars 2 is likely going to be problem.

Project Cars (1) was loaded and the graphics is absolutely stunning. I wished there was a way to simulate thrust (acceleration/deceleration) as that is the main problem I have with driving games. Without thrust, you have trouble detecting wheelspin. So those Mustangs are spinning out all over the place in any corner. I will stick to driving the goKarts for now.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:09 am

Played some Grandia III today. I think I made a wrong turn down a long dungeon/path before I saved.. :? The battles are very fun.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:13 am

Recently played iPhone games:

"To the Moon": You play one of two doctors who are a team whose mission is to grant a dying person their last wish. In this case the client wants to go to the Moon. The team dives into the client's memories to make it happen. This game is quite cute. Plenty of simples insults and jabs exchanged between the two doctor characters. The art is a straight out homage to the world of 8 bit games. I finished this one without any extreme difficulty.

"Old Man's Journey"(sic): This one has a basic story. The player guides the main character, the aforementioned "old man", through a set of puzzles. You manipulate the surfaces the old man can walk on and choose which path he follows. The story is depicted through artwork that is shown at the end of the puzzles (don't remember if it was each one). Cute but not too high on the replay counter.

*Warp Shift": Another puzzle game. Move a girl through a set of levels consisting of boxes with gates, transporter links, keys, passage exit/entrances, and a final warp out gate. You manipulate the boxes and the girl (who actually has a name - it's Pi...I think). Cute, addictive, and I played it a lot. Didn't manage to complete every level with three stars (you need to score at least one star to move on to the next level) but still managed to finish the game.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Need for Speed - the Run

I've been playing this for a few years now. I have finished the game in all skill levels, won my share of online races, as well as team races and gotten platinum times on all the challenge races ..... except 1.

There is one challenge race called Live Free and Die Hard there finally, I am able to consistently get a gold time. My fastest through that course is 2:17:33. I am now consistently around 2:20 so barely a gold time. This is the only race where I have not achieved a platinum time yet. I need to get below 2:15. I'm just floored when I see a youtube video of somebody getting in below 2:10. I think everytime I hit something that even has a semblance of slowing me down (like maybe a park bench), I lose 3 seconds in the total time. Even bumping an opponent will lose time, but on those videos, I see bumps and they seem to not lose time. It's going to feel so good when I finally do get through below 2:15.

Return to “Video Games”