"Blue Monday" Playlist

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

"Blue Monday" Playlist

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm

I was down at my local fish 'n' chip shop for lunch yesterday. Business was slow when I got there, I was the only customer, so the owner sat down to chat with me after I had finished my meal. He told me that he had come up with an idea of playing depressing (though not quite suicidally depressing) songs over the stereo in the shop on this coming Monday. The genesis of the idea being something he had read about the third Monday in January being the most depressing day (post-Christmas, bills to pay, no holidays until Easter, et al). So he wanted to play songs which are depressing but not so depressing that customers would go home and hang themselves (j/k!). Here's the list of songs I suggested to him:

"Blue Monday" - New Order (duh!)
Almost anything off of The Cure's album "Faith" - Smith's mother had died prior to the album being made.
Almost anything by Joy Division - that shouldn't be hard to figure out
"Levi Stubb's Tears" by Billy Bragg - story of a heartbroken woman, married too young, who survived getting shot by her estranged husband
"Smithers-Jones" by The Jam - middle aged guy loses his job
"That's Entertainment" by The Jam - a song celebrating the joys of urban decay
"Down In The Tube Station at Midnight" by The Jam - Asian guy gets beat-up within an inch of his life by racist thugs in a Tube station.

Feel free to add to this list. Remember, this playlist isn't supposed to be made up of songs which make your whole day go down the toilet. Rather they're songs which make you stop and feel that strong twitch of melancholy or sadness that make your world stop for a moment.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

chrisb

Re: "Blue Monday" Playlist

Postby chrisb » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 pm

"Levi Stubb's Tears" by Billy Bragg - story of a heartbroken woman, married too young, who survived getting shot by her estranged husband

Wow.

The Sundays- Through the Dark is a good one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqmHV0xw-ns[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOZk88eCcg[/youtube]

I love the owner's idea. It just really works lol. I'm going to do a Blue Monday playlist on my mp3 player now!

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 am

I was at the restaurant today. He had a short playlist going while I was there. It means I got to listen to "Owner of a Lonely Heart" at least three times. There were a few Neil Young tunes in there. A bunch I didn't recognize. And Elvis Costello's "Watching the Detectives". I listened to New Order's "Blue Monday" on my iPod whilst walking down to the restaurant.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:59 am

Chris, I like how you picked The Sundays... I love them. I guess for myself I would throw in some Cowboy Junkies as well.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:54 am

The Sundays are underrated, it's nice to know another fan =)

Return to “Music”