The official Ani alley japanese music thread!

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
Zanarkand Princess

The official Ani alley japanese music thread!

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 pm

There have to be some of you who like Jpop right? I mean for the most part we know each other because we're all anime fans. It's not that much of a stretch! :lol:

This thread can be for pretty much anything relating to Japanese music of any genre. You can ask for recommendations or requests, introduce us to some new artists, post news, review an album, etc

And some resources

aramatheydidn't!- Arama is a community for Japanese entertainment news. Music, movies, dramas, gossip it all ends up here. It's the Japanese entertainment equivalent of the somewhat infamous ohnotheydidn't

Jpopmusic- This is the most active general English speaking Japanese music forum. Usually new stuff can be found here before anywhere, including the daily charts so be sure to keep an eye on your favorite artists threads.

Jpopsuki- This is where everyone uploads everything. Albums, singles, concerts, PV's and performances. You can find it all and if you can't you can make a request for it.

Jpopstop-A fairly impressive Asian music wiki

some_day_music-She's uploaded a lot of good albums from the generally ignored indie rock and non Ayu, Utada, BoA crows

Bestfiction- More uploads, usually these are current and mainstream Jpop/Kpop singles and albums

Places to buy
CDJapan
Yesasia
Amazon Japan
HMVJapan

chrisb

Re: The offical Ani alley japanese music thread!

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Every other places suck except for CDJapan, that's the only way to buy anything Japan music related for me.

Anyway OLIVIA needs to get her ass in gear and do more music. She sucks live but her writing is refreshing.

I currently own a lot of Clazziquai Project albums, and a couple of Beni singles, my favorite being Kiss Kiss Kiss. I also own the House nation albums, so I get a lot of remixed versions of those JPOP artists. I like Ami Suzuki's newest Kissx3 song. Really like Mika Nakashima and Yuna Ito on the pop side of things. I used to like Namie Amuro but her fans kinda turned me off, she's still a MILF though. On the J-rock side my favorite band is Base Ball Bear, they're the most refreshing Japanese rock band I've ever heard, they really speak to the high school indie kid scene.

I also own Utada's 2 American albums, I enjoy TITO better than Exodus, but both rock, and nothing can kill my love for Animato. I also own BoA's American album, it's ok, has some cool dance numbers but she has horrible English pronounciation. i even bought Angela Aki's English album before she got all Japanese famous lol. Also own the Disney JPOP remixes and then I own Elmio, Shinichi Osawa, and Daishi Dance's albums as well when it comes to J-electronica/dance music.

My favorite artist on the JPOP side though is probably Bonnie Pink, I own 'Even So' the best JPOP album ever made. She's probably one of the best English JPOP singers besides Utada.
I enjoy some on the hip hop side like Smooth J and Nujabes too. May J used to be cool, she sucks lately. Kana Noshino is cool too. I enjoy Soulja also even before the whole Soba ni Iru stuff, Thelma Aoyama is cool too, but she doesn't grab me as much lately. Three Nation, DOUBLE, and M-flo and Remark Spirits rock too in the Japanese urban area.

I enjoy a lot of the indie side of JPOP artists too, which include Elmio, Jill decoy Assoc. Sound Around, World Sketch, and Daishi Dance. To listen to any of them you can visit my Youtube channel where I upload some of their works: http://www.youtube.com/user/clairefedfield

My favorite JPOP songs ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhA_h8Xe8r8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXEPJMeEpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4LPGHlkPoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5LLobrwfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyA-mH0kD0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWS12OXyzQ

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 pm

No one seems to understand that OLIVIA makes music when she feels like it and she's probably a better artist for it :lol: The lost Lolli is one of my all time favorite albums as is Synchronicity. I like Beni a lot (There's a funny story about a lot of jpop artists I love being best friends, ex lovers or related :lol: ) but Kiss Kiss Kiss was boring. I liked the Bitter & Sweet album though. Nice & Slow, STAY, ずっと二人で, Anything Goes and Beautiful World were all really good.

And it's Kana Nishino :dizzy Who I'm beginning to love. Her Shibuya girl style is pretty on point for the most part.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:14 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:And it's Kana Nishino :dizzy Who I'm beginning to love. Her Shibuya girl style is pretty on point for the most part.

LOL yeah I knew that, I talked about her with some person the other day and I had to keep correcting myself, I will fuck up her name more than once trust me.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 am

chrisb wrote:<snip>
My favorite JPOP songs ever: <snip>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5LLobrwfs
Base Ball Bear!!! Thumbs up mate! Yeah, the only reason I checked them out was on account of bassist Sekine Shiori's appearance in "Linda Linda Linda".

I'll mention Rock of Japan as another resource page but the owner is shutting it down later this year.

I did follow Clear and Refreshing for a while back in 2005 but lost track of them after a URL change. Apparently it's still up and running. This page is full of stuff I've never heard of.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 am

I have Linda Linda Linda on my computer, but I've never gotten around to watching it.

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 am

Michio Kurihara is the Japanese David Gilmour. People should check out his work.

Relatedly, is there any chance anyone here has heard of Boris?

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 am

I have. I haven't heard much of their music though.

The Brilliant Green is actually releasing a new single!

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 am

Can this thread include K-Pop?

As for Japanese stuff, I really recommend everyone check out Rin' because they're awesome. Mixing traditional and popular music, I think all of their albums are good. Here's quick sample ("Miyabi" from Jikuu). Tomoca's voice is beautiful! (No one sings in "Miyabi," though...)

Also: best J-Pop song ever. (Bleh @ Mini Moni and Momusu.)

Edit:
chrisb wrote:I also own BoA's American album, it's ok, has some cool dance numbers but she has horrible English pronounciation.

Oh, and the lyrics are awful. But you're right, good dance stuff.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 am

^How can you not enjoy the masterpiece that is Scream? ;) Seriously that song is catchy but damn are the lyrics beyond awful. I don't listen to much KPOP but Clazziquai. There's also the cutie Bae Seul Gi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIsSYc_IDLs Lesbian ?masturbation? is hot.

Base Ball Bear!!! Thumbs up mate! Yeah, the only reason I checked them out was on account of bassist Sekine Shiori's appearance in "Linda Linda Linda".

We need more BBB fans around here!

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Hypnotic Dancefloor is a great song.. but the lyrics make me LOL.
I guess Kpop can be included

I'm am completely in love with capsule. Yasutaka Nakata is a god and I don't even mind that he's one of the most used producers on the post Shibuya Kei scene right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS9rNTiuTVE

and BANDAGE. I love this song, and the LANDS subgroup itself, but it of course will be overlooked and underrated by everyone outside the fandom because a JE boy is the frontman. They really did go all the way with the "This is set in the 90's" theme though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_dELYQNhXQ
Last edited by Zanarkand Princess on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm

HellKorn wrote:Relatedly, is there any chance anyone here has heard of Boris?
They performed in Vancouver last year but I didn't have a chance to see them as I was out of town then. I did some digging on the net about them and for me they were the type of band I'd see out of curiosity more than anything else.

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 am

d.yaro wrote:They performed in Vancouver last year but I didn't have a chance to see them as I was out of town then. I did some digging on the net about them and for me they were the type of band I'd see out of curiosity more than anything else.
Flood and Feedbacker are their only two albums that I would say are must-owns (though it helps if you like post-rock and drone, I suppose). Rainbow, done with Michio Kurihara, is probably more accessible (psychedelic) They also have a noise rock/punk aesthetic to them that I've never cared for, but it has its fans; Pink is probably the best example of it.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 am

Ive been listening to Ikimono Gakari's new album (You might know them from the Hanabi Bleach ending)
I really like them, but for some reason in the studio version the vocalist always sounds like she's holding back. I watched their Kohaku performance and as usual there wasn't that problem. It could be for a multitude of reasons but it's just something that kind of annoys me.

I really do have to get a hold of their indie albums though.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 am

Awesome Baseball Bear commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oLbTn_zWBs
These kids need to really graduate already, seems like they've been in their high school world for a long while lol, I guess it's hard growing up :P

Are there any JPOP/JROCK groups you guys just hate? I can't stand X-Japan at all. On the JPOP side, Nami Tamaki's newer stuff is shitty too. Sowelu's new experimental stuff is also crappy.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:56 am

^ Well, I don't really hate them but スキマスイッチ (Schema Switch?) don't excite me. I bought one of their CDs and it was a cure for insomnia in my books. Another band in that category is Tube.

Here's a page folks will either be horrified to know of or simply find too ridiculous: Encyclopedia Idollica. Make what you will of a web page that starts off with the line ""You're easy breezy, and I'm Japaneezy" - the worst lyrics ever written by anyone anywhere in the entire history of music".

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:35 am

Ummmm there's a rumor Mika Nakashima died.

There's an old rumor that Utada Hikaru is an anti-Semite too.

Those are both hilariously bad, although for a second I did believe the Utada one for some reason.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I hate Ayu. There, I said it. I hate her voice, even when t was supposedly "good" and I resent the fact that her (mis)understood album got so popular by using arrangements from sweetbox's Addicted, but when that album came out (who let's someone cover your songs in an album that comes out just before yours anyway?) everyone claimed they were Ayu's songs wouldn't let up for quite a while. And she's the plastic queen. But I guess she does seem nice enough..

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7HdP7KCnw

I can't freaking wait... Yusuke Nakamura doing all the insert work is like triple orgasmic.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Olympos is amazing. The whole album is just :love I adore Jin's voice, so much and it's nice to see him going back to a more rock style even if the rest of KAT TUN isn't with him (of course his next solo will be some club song and I'll love that too probably :lol: )

Return to “Music”