Vinyl...

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Vinyl...

Postby d.yaro » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:29 am

Otherwise known as "Older Guy Talking to Himself".

===================================================

My friend John in Victoria shipped me a book titled "Old Rare New - The Independent Record Store" published by Black Dog Publishing in the UK. Needless to say, to read the book I set my self down in my comfy chair with a pint in hand, book in lap and vinyl spinning on the turntable. It's been a while since I've done. And a real long time since I've spun Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" which much to my horror is quite dusty, relatively speaking, and thus it skips just after the beginning of the song. The motor no longer runs on the record cleaning gadget I have and I can't find the LP cleaner roller duster I've owned since about 1976 or so. They sell vinyl LPs down at the local HMV. I'll have to check and see if they sell something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Anyways, other stuff that got a spin today: first LP of the "Yessongs" 3 LP set, a Young Fresh Fellows 7" single I hadn't opened yet (purchased in late 1980s - they were a Seattle band), March Violets 12" single "Touch the Sky" and now Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love". I didn't realize I still had that LP. I thought I had ditched it ages ago.

And looking at the book once more... Alas, I no longer have a turntable that plays 78s. I've only come across one in our household. It was a Japanese record that had originally belonged to my father. It may have been an acetate record and not a vinyl one. I have no idea where it is but I suspect it sits undisturbed with all the other records in my mother's house...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Zin5ki

Re: Vinyl...

Postby Zin5ki » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 pm

I still remember the days when I'd amuse myself with my parents' copy of Led Zeppelin III. I had no idea how to operate a record player, but spinning the volvelle whilst looking at the album cover never ceased to amaze me.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:30 pm

I have some old vinyl records myself. I have an LP of The Who's Tommy that a music teacher gave to me in the 4th grade, a greatest hits album of The Rolling Stones (I only got it because it had 2000 Light Years From Home and Dandelion) and a whole bunch of old country albums that my grandmother gave to me.

I had a chance to buy a bunch of old Genesis albums but I didn't. Now I kind of wish that I did :(
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:11 pm

My mom still has an old record player. We never use it, though.

There's nothing quite like holding an old vinyl record when compared to an iTunes download.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Heh, I actually have a bowl made from an old vynil record. :lol: One of my fellow low brass section members taught, well, pretty much everyone actually how to do it at our low brass get together back in November. It's actually kind of interesting. I also liked my dad's reaction to it when I brought mine home, especially since it was a Johnny Cash record and he loves Johnny Cash. :lol:

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:25 am

Find of the night: Remember the baseball game flashback scene in the Ghibli movie "Only Yesterday"? I bet most of you don't remember the music playing at the time. It's an instrumental version of "Hoshi no Flamenco" (Flamenco of the Stars). I was looking at the stack of old Japanese 45's I had lying around and came across a copy of the original July 1966 45 rpm single of that same song. The record is in very good condition and plays fine. Yeah, I took a picture of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8936205@N02/3158139895/

beken

Postby beken » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 am

There's some interesting (but only some) new vinyl out there. I recently bought Synthetica by Metric on vinyl.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:40 pm

I am slowly adding my albums to Discography. I've only added a few, it claims, my collection is already worth over $800.
I have over 1000 albums.

Listened to Pet Shop Boys - Introspective last night.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm

something has gone wrong with my Turntable playback.

Left channel is dead. Not sure where the problem is. could be my amp...or the preamp....or the phono preamp...or the tonearm wiring....or the cartridge....or a bad interconnect.

Ugh....this might cost me money.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:25 pm

^ Oh dear....

I don't have a turntable here in Japan. No room for it. Plus no stereo to hook it up to. But I do have a couple of records I bought last year. Forgot to take them back to Canada... :lol:

beken

Postby beken » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:44 am

I have a spare integrated amplifier you can borrow the next time you are home visiting and you can take it back to Japan with you (where it was made).
Japan uses 110V does it not? or was that 100V

I'm using it right now as I have concluded that my turntable playing problem is the Left channel RCA jack on my amplifier. So once I get that fixed, my spare amp will just be sitting there again.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 am

^ Thanks for the offer. Not sure if I'll take you up on it. I'm a bit short on space. ;)

Yes, voltage over here is 100V.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 am

Well, I fixed my amplifier. It was a matter of unplugging everything and cleaning all the connectors and jacks. I probably should have been doing that at least once a year.

But the turntable preamplifier is a bit glitchy on the power switch. Maybe I should start auditioning a new one.

Last edited by beken on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:11 pm

^ I suspect your stereo room has as much floor space as my apartment! :lol:

beken

Postby beken » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:19 pm

d.yaro wrote:^ I suspect your stereo room has as much floor space as my apartment! :lol:

Actually, it has less. That is an old picture. The floor is mostly covered with stacks of vinyl LPs now. Time to take an updated picture.

choski2

Postby choski2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 am

I lost all my trance vinyl collection when my dad lost our house and hired people to take away all our belongings. :( I miss mixing trance and shopping for new records weekly.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 am

^ Whoa...that's depressing.

I suppose shopping for vinyl records is almost a lost art...but Sir Elton John was caught in the act in Vancouver last month according to an article I read on the CBC website.

On another note, the records I bought here in Japan successfully survived a trip back to Vancouver last month.

Return to “Music”