What songs/albums do you recommend?

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
Bonham

Re: What songs/albums do you recommend?

Postby Bonham » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 am

Pastachan wrote:But I wonder what you'd think of van Buuren, 'cause I don't see you liking him... for some reason.

Why's that?

Also, what have you listened to of Fennesz? He's probably my favorite ambient artist.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 am

HellKorn wrote:
Pastachan wrote:But I wonder what you'd think of van Buuren, 'cause I don't see you liking him... for some reason.

Why's that?

Mostly because his songs aren't similar to everything you've recommended to me. I guess he feels too mainstream. (Not that I'm saying you can't like mainstream...)

Also, what have you listened to of Fennesz? He's probably my favorite ambient artist.

I've only listened to Black Sea (my favorite is "Black Sea") and a very tiny bit of Endless Summer. I like whatever strange things he's doing with that guitar. This is the kind of music that should be listened to when it's snowing outside. *loves winter!*
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Venice might be my favorite Fennesz album, so check that out. He really covers a lot of various moods and textures over different albums, so you can never go wrong.

I'll check out van Buuren.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:07 pm

I thought I would make a few recommendation of a different category... here are a few albums I enjoy massaging too. If you are looking for some low key, relaxing music to light a candle to, maybe read, have playing during dinner, whatever... you might want to try a few of these:

Blue Tribe
Album: Deep Buddha
Genre: Electronic

Amiina
Album: Kurr
Genre: Icelandic Experimental Quartet

Grundman, Gnomusy, Taboada, Laguillo
Album: eMotive
Genre: New Age

Satomi Saeki and Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Album: Japanese Traditional Koto and Shakuhachi Music
Genre: World

Sayama
Album: Harmony
Genre: New Age

Masayuki Koga
Album: Eastwind - Japanese Shakuhachi Music
Genre: World

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:49 pm

OK, probably my favorite local band (and maybe even favorite all around band behind Disturbed) is Dead Season. I guess they're like a cross between Kill Switch Engage (who I absolutely can't stand) and Disturbed. The lead vocals range from semi-melodic to what I think is the best "Cookie Monster Voice" in the industry, it's gravely, but it doesn't sound like he's shouting or killing his throat, it's somehow natural sounding. The songs are very complex, not what you usually associate with local music. They usually mix the flow of the songs up so they remain interesting rather than repeating the same lines over and over, they tend to alter the chorus, and the endings often go a different direction than the rest of the song so you feel like there's an actual resolution to the song rather than fading off into a hack ending of repeated lines. The subject matter varies greatly, often very personal reflections on the band's life and people about them. Singing songs about cancer, the homeless, their parents and roll models and what not. In some cases the songs are directed towards a character or even the listeners, asking them questions or making requests. It's really brilliant writing all around with no lack for lyrics and I never get tired of hearing it.

Their best songs are streamed on their Myspace page and can be found on Napster and iTunes, but here are my favorites:

American Nothing - Probably an anti-war/anti-Bush song, but it's never specific. Alone again. You are deserving of the same as the pain you've caused. You can't afford the mistakes you've been making, the loss of your conscience you'll pay. Always earning their trust with a life of excuses, it all circles back guaranteed, now you bleed.
Break the Silence - This one's about speaking out against violence, particularly child abuse, but if anyone has caught up with the Naruto manga [spoiler]it really reminds me of the conversation where Madara is trying to convince Sasuke to join his side[/spoiler]. Living a lie, I wish you could see yourself. Holding inside the pain that's been killing you. you've bee denied the chance just to be yourself. This is your time release what's been killing you. The pain that's been killing you! Beneath those scars there is a child who's hopes and dreams come true!
Cancer - A plead for help in finding a cure for cancer and trying to get more people involved in the search. "Find us an answer, we're dying of cancer. No one is safe the cancer's coming for you. If only your anger could cure all the cancer, someone you love would still be right here with you!" Great lyrics!
Hero - This one I'm pretty sure was dedicated to one of the band member's fathers. I really want to make a Simon/Kamina AMV out of it. "Everything you've given me, you will always be my hero. Honesty. Integrity. The strength I see in you is in me. Everything that you have been, you will aways be my hero. Family, is everything, the strength I see in you will always be a part of what is me!"
Never Decide - Song about fighting for individuality and keeping your child-like innocence. "Trying to be myself, the only way I know how. A promise I made myself living the only way I know how.""Never decide to grow old!"
The End - About living life to the fullest because the end is coming for all of us and nobody is immortal. Probably their most upbeat and inspirational song while also having a strong sense of despair. "This is the end, it's never ending. All I know is in the end I'll you again. Everything starts again in the end."
The Mirror - As expected it's a song about reflecting on the past and deciding if changes are needed for the future. "And I hope that I know, where I stand, when it's time to face the mirror in my hand."
Pain Brings me Life - On the surface it sounds like song about masochism, but it's actually about how our hardships are what makes us what we are. "I'll take this pain and hold it, mold it, and make it fuel my life.""Time falls away. I'm gone today. Lies, honesty. I can not be broken."
You Keep me Alive - A song about someone dying, but trying to survive, far away from their family. "You will always be here in my mind, you were keeping me alive. You will always be with me, always be with me, you're keeping me alive."
Revelation 6 - In contrast to "The End" talking about accepting our mortality, Revelation 6 is about fighting against death. "Running, death has been coming, death has me running."
Thunder Rolls - Yep, Garth Brooks cover about a woman and her unfaithful and abusive husband. It's sung as a straight up cover for the first part, but it does change up around half way.
The One - About the difficulties in trying to let go of the past and make changes for the better. "So I let go, living the life I know and it's haunting me, it wont free me!"

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for the recommendation... I never heard of them. I really enjoyed the beginning of "Never Decide" and the drums are quite impressive in this song. Very intense. You're right about the voice... it's not overdone and seems more natural. I take it you didn't go to the Alliance Festival today?

Oh wait... just listened to "The Mirror".... I really love this!!! Okay, obviously I'm posting this before I've even finished listening to all the songs.... so off I go to check out the rest!

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Nah, wish I could, there's a lot of great local bands in the area, but it's my work weekend so no-go.

Probably my absolute favorites are Break the Silence, Mirror, Never Decide, and Hero.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm

So it's been over a year since this topic has been put into use so here's another local band I want to push, this time with video!

Rustic Overtones is a prime example of how to do a ska rock band right. Formed in '93 they're best known as the first band to play live on XM Satellite radio. Even during a 5 year break up between '02 and '07 their members continued on in popular solo careers including the popular Paranoid Social Club and As Fast As. Rustic is the local band that all bands in Maine strive to be (probably doesn't sound like much of an achievement, but we have a very strong local scene). I don't go to concerts normally, but I've actually seen them live twice. The first time was when I graduated high school, they were hired to play on our class of '98 school trip, the second was in 2001 when the Viva Nueva! album first came out (I've got a copy of that one and still play it).

Here's a sample of my favorite Rustic songs, or at least the only ones I could find on YouTube:

Combustible
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saxtqlhkpvo[/youtube]
C'mon
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7VDerKuro[/youtube]
Hardest Way Possible
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnnFObej2lY[/youtube]
Man Without a Mouth
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imnEutBziAw[/youtube]
Sector Z (feat. David Bowie)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH767Mtpyuk[/youtube]

Can't find some of my favorite songs like "Simple Song", "Check", and "Gas on Skin". So here's a few bonuses:

Paranoid Social Club - Wasted
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NYRE7E558[/youtube]
Paranoid Social Club - Two Girls (fan video)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818iEZxzFmU[/youtube]

Emerje

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:37 am

Recommend Lykke Li. This is the song that got me into her:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvL5Pm5SaOo[/youtube]

Too bad the MV can't be embedded...

Edit: And also Crystal Castles and Super8 & Tab. (Links to my favorite songs.)
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Pack of Crackers

Postby Pack of Crackers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:02 am

Might I recommend Hans Zimmer's soundtrack to Inception. Just bought it the other week.

Return to “Music”