What songs/albums do you recommend?

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
Zanarkand Princess

What songs/albums do you recommend?

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:41 pm

So this is a song recommendation thread. I guess you can ask for recommendations of songs of a specific genre or a specific artist here too.

I don't really know what to start with though :oops:
Last edited by Zanarkand Princess on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pastachan

Re: What songs do you recommend?

Postby Pastachan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:58 am

I'll throw one song out there.

Techno: "Krater" by Infinite Dimensions feat. Ephexius

And, no, whatever version they have on YouTube is not the full thing, so you wouldn't be getting the full awesome of the experience. Btw, this is my current favorite techno song. I did find this other trance song that blew me away but I never learned the title or artist.

HellKorn sold me on some CDs for a bunch of other genres. (Not sure which ones I'll be getting just yet.) So I'd look up anything he posts once he finds his way over here.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Currently, I can recommend these songs:

Grayish Wing -Siam Shade. Some people think this may be a copy of D-Technolife, but there's no way it could be, as Siam Shade recorded this way before the famous Bleach OP was even thought of. Also, the piano intro is brilliant.

Dear My... -Janne Da Arc. I like to listen to this song when I'm too stressed or tired. It's basically a lullaby, and a really nice one at that. Also, the guitars played in it make it even more soothing. Maybe that's why they say that guitar music goes directly to your heart and soul...

The Flame Of Youth -DragonForce. It's one of their lesser known songs, but I almost instantly fell in love with it. Even though there are greater, better songs in their repertoire (sp?), the voice work in the chorus is still one of the best thngs I've heard among metal.

Inside The Winter Storm -DragonForce. Ultra Beatdown's answer to The Flame Of Youth. Another very well made song with good vocal work. And mind you, it takes a really good singer to hit those high notes, even when in this song, ZP's range isn't as great as in other songs.

A Sailorman's Hymn -Kamelot. This song, and Forever (from the album Karma) are the best things I've heard from them. This song in particular is quite heart-touching thanks to the guitar and voices.

I'll have to think of more songs.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:48 am

Pastachan wrote:HellKorn sold me on some CDs for a bunch of other genres. (Not sure which ones I'll be getting just yet.) So I'd look up anything he posts once he finds his way over here.

Well, I really recommend albums. As someone who is very serious about music, song recommendations aren't really my thing...

But, uh, I'll toss out some, anyhow. All of these songs are available on either the artists's MySpace or YouTube:

"Sanzen" by dredg
Album: El Cielo
Genre: Alternative/Art Rock
I got Pastachan into them with this song. It's my favorite song from my all-time favorite album, and an easy recommendation. Gorgeous track that really shows off Gavin Hayes' incredible vocals -- you'd swear they have a natural reverb.

"Space for This" by Cynic
Album: Traced in Air
Genre: Progressive Tech Metal w/ Jazz and Death Metal influences
It's the best thing that Cynic has ever done (granted, only two albums), and one of the most singularly beautiful pieces of modern music ever made.

"The Matrix" by Black Milk
Album: Tronic
Genre: Rap
The whole album is great, but when you mix the production of one of the best producers in rap today with a guest spot for arguably the greatest rapper of all time, Pharoahe Monch (check out Organized Konfusion's first two albums and his 2007 release, Desire, if you haven't heard him), you have something on another level.

"In Fiction" by Isis
Album: Panopticon
Genre: Sludge metal w/ Post-rock
The defining song of one of my favorite albums. Really gorgeous guitar tones and build-up.

"Ornament/The Last Wrongs" by Oceansize
Album: Everyone into Position
Genre: Art Rock w/Post-rock Influences
Uneven album compared to their other two LPs, but my God, this is such a perfect closer. It's touching and epic in a way that most rock and metal bands couldn't even dream of.

"So What" by Miles Davis
Album: Kind of Blue
Genre: Jazz
Obvious, almost cliche choice. But hey, you could pick anything from the album and you'd be good to go.

"Burn" by Neurosis
Album: The Eye of Every Storm
Genre: Experimental Sludge Metal
Fantastic opening track on the greatest album of the most consistent, arguably best band alive.

"Diana" by Comus
Album: First Utterance
Genre: Acid/Progressive Folk
Utterly bizarre acid folk rock from the early 70s. Lyrics and music are so seamlessly intertwined that you can be break out in laughter, be horrified or both.

"Moya" by Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Album: Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada EP
Genre: Post-rock
The first half of perfection. People might as well listen to the whole EP, as there's only two touchingly long songs on here.

"Ascension Day" by Talk Talk
Album: Laughing Stock
Genre: Experimental New Wave/Jazz/Minimalism/Post-rock
Accessible track from one of the best albums ever made. The whole record is so subdued, so restrained that it can break your heart -- honestly.

"New Noise" by Refused
Album: The Shape of Punk to Come
Genre: Punk
Rockin'. As. Fuck.

"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel
Album: Bride Over Troubled Water
Genre: Pop/Folk
Simply put: my all-time favorite song. The lyrics are so poignant, so true to reality that I cannot imagine anyone who has had difficulties in life (I dare say that's nearly all of us) not being affected by them.

If people want more recommendations, I'll gladly give them -- might even start a thread. It'd be great to see others expanding their musical tastes.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:07 am

I've been listening to two albums a lot recently.
Bittersweet symphony by jade valerie and Adagio by sweetbox.
It's the same vocalist but under a different name. A lot of you might recognize a couple of songs from adagio though (Hint: "What can I do for you?') ;) But I recommend the full album as most of the songs are better and all are written well.
Bittersweet Symphony has more ballads but it's one of my favorite albums right now.
(I don't recommend songs either so I don't know why I put that in the title.)
Oh I do have another album recommendation

Kill Me Kiss Me by Hangry & Angry
Ex morning Musume girls take on the persona's of the mascots of a Lolita clothing store in Harajuku. That doesn't really sound great I know but after listening to the (mini?) album I found it to be really enjoyable. I especially recommend "Angelia" and "GIZA GIZA"

Bonham

Re: What songs/albums do you recommend?

Postby Bonham » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:58 am

Currently listening to Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye, and would definitely like to share it with others. It's really an indescribable album; it's not obnoxiously "avant-garde" like a lot of metal bands try to be -- it's not some Mr. Bungle-inspired circus romp, but very classical-influenced. Driver's music is much more cohesive and honest, and has a natural flow to it that's hard to match compared to other albums from this decade.

You can listen to three of the album's song -- "A Pitcher of Summer," "The Manifold Curiosity" and "Wayfarer" -- on their MySpace here.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm

Well after getting Pearl Jam's lattest album just recently released back in 2006 for Christmas, there were a lot of songs that really stuck out to me on that album. Of course their 2 singles, World Wide Suicide and Life Wasted were both great, but honestly, I think some of the best songs on that whole album were the non-single ones. There were a lot that stood out to me so I'll just post the 2 that I thought stood out the most:

Inside Job: Last track on the album, and one heck of an incredible closer at that. Quite possibly one of the best songs, if not the best, they've ever done. It kind of has a real Stairway to Heaven feel to it.

Unemployable: Like a lot of the songs on here actually, this one had a real nice 60s sounding rock 'n roll feel too it. It's one of those songs that always reminds me of one of the major reasons I love Pearl Jam and Grunge altogether so much, much like what About a Girl was for Nirvana.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:41 pm

I love REFUSED! I wish they never broke up. They just make me wanna... mosh.

Hmm... I don't really ever know how to categorize stuff, but I'll attempt:

Euro-indiepop/folk:

Emiliana Torrini -The Boy Who Giggled so Sweet. It's so sad yet so pretty, and pulls at my heart strings. I have no idea what exactly the song is about, but it really conveys what she's feeling wonderfully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_XxUcRSpTc
Ignore the fanput together video.

Trip-hop:
Portishead - Numb. I suggest anything at all by Portishead, though they latest album I found to be a bit of a disappointment, but in general I can constantly listen to their first two albums for the rest of my life without complaint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6rJn_TEu5Y

Weird-Goth-Punk:
The Horrors - Sheena Was a Parasite
I love these freaks and their organ use! If they ever come to the US, I'm willing to go across a couple state lines to see them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sKjREoF_K4

Punk/Rock:
Billy Talent - Red Flag
I have a lot of fun with Billy Talent's albums. Sadly, I still have yet to see them live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7Z_YGTzP8

Naughty Rock:
I can't find any of their other songs on youtube, but I love these guys with their T-Rex influence and pervy thoughts. Their album The Best Little Secrets are Kept amuses me to no end.
http://www.mtv.com/videos/louis-xiv/43832/finding-out-true-love-is-blind.jhtml

Celtic/Gaelic
Ashley MacIssac - Sleepy Maggie.
I just love this one. My fave vocal by Ashley (he's not singing of course), but he has a lot of fantastic instrumentals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkN1k846ec
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:46 am

If anyone is at all interested in electronic music, I have quite a few good ones to start with. (Besides Daft Punk.)

Ratatat
A good starter for those of you into indie music. "Seventeen Years" (Ratatat), "Wildcat," "Lex," and "Loud Pipes" (all from Classics). My top four.

The Crystal Method
Really awesome stuff; almost soundtrack-esque, but way more awesome. "Keep Hope Alive" and "Vapor Trail," both from Vegas, are my recommendations.

Above & Beyond
This group is actually way more trance than the others, but also very good. Look up pretty much anything from their album Tri-State. "Stealing Time" is one I really like. And if you like them, then OceanLab is another good one to check out. ("If I Could Fly" from Sirens of the Sea.)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm scared of Indie music. I don't want to try something and then not like it and then get turned off to the whole thing and never want to try it again, but I would never know where to start to find something I do like.

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 am

Anyone wanting to jump into hip hop should try out Organized Konfusion's Stress: The Extinction Agenda and GZA's Liquid Swords. Typical entryways into the genre.

Been on a binge of rap and jazz for the past few months.

Zanarkand Princess wrote:I'm scared of Indie music. I don't want to try something and then not like it and then get turned off to the whole thing and never want to try it again, but I would never know where to start to find something I do like.

?

I'm confused by this.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 am

What I mean is basically, I don't know where or how to start liking indie music. I know what genres I like and all but uh I just don't really know how to "discover" indie

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:What I mean is basically, I don't know where or how to start liking indie music. I know what genres I like and all but uh I just don't really know how to "discover" indie

I think you're looking at it wrong. Indie isn't a certain category, it's just basically anything, of any genre, released by someone not under a label. Your best bet though I think would be to try out your local college radio station. They always have a good mix of the latest stuff that resembles somewhat the stuff in mainstream culture. It's how I discovered Lily Allen, and oh god do I love her.

Who by the way I'll pimp here:

Lily Allen - Brit girl who originally started with a bit of a reggae vibe in her pop music. Her music is all bright and upbeat, but if you listen to the lyrics you might be shocked, or do what I did and practically die laughing.

Songs to try out:
Smile
LDN

I don't think she qualifies as indie anymore. :lol: Still, spreading the Lily Allen love.

Random indie bands I love off the top of my head with a random songs, basically mostly in a rock category. You could think of this mainly as a crash course in current indie bands popular at my school right now, with the exception of a few weird genres thrown in.

Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism(totally my theme song)
Bloc Party - The Prayer
The Shins - New Slang
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps (dun think they qualify anymore though)
Voltaire - Almost Human (goth. If you've seen Grim adventures of billy and mandy, you've heard him)
TheSTART - 1234(so much love for them. SO MUCH)
The Eels - Novocaine For Soul
The Format - Snails (they broke up! *Cries*)
Against Me - Don't Lose Touch (local Gainsville Punk Boys ^.^ God I love his voice)
Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos - Skeleton Key
The Distillers - Young Crazed Peeling (Punk. Saw them live - changed my life. only woman I would sleep with XD)
Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends
Cold War Kids - Hang Me Out to Dry
Rilo Kiley - Better Son/Daughter (not a good example of their music, but I love the song)

Hmm.. I should go to bed.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Zanarkand Princess wrote:What I mean is basically, I don't know where or how to start liking indie music. I know what genres I like and all but uh I just don't really know how to "discover" indie

Uh, you mean "underground" or "Pitchfork-promoted (crap) music"?

It's not difficult at all to check out that kind of music. As I've yet to go into college, I mostly use the RYM (Rate Your Music) charts (and sometimes lurk a few specific users' ratings), check out blogs (via Google blogs), and occasionally read the reviews of a few Sputnik Music's staff members.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks you guys. I think it has something to do with laziness(me not finding new music that is) but I'm really tired of whatever is being pushed by the media.

Maybe I'll go read a book.

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Pastachan wrote:If anyone is at all interested in electronic music...

Thought I'd share a big name this time: Armin van Buuren. His Imagine is an excellent one; I listen to it every day as I go to work. "Going Wrong" and "In and Out of Love" are two particularly good songs that stand out from the album, and I'm sure they'd appeal to people who aren't as into everyday trance songs.

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 am

Most of the electronic music I like is ambient (Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Brian Eno), but I'll look into him. (My only familiarity with trance is Shpongle's material.)

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

HellKorn wrote:...Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Brian Eno...Shpongle...

I like these, but mostly Shpongle.

But I wonder what you'd think of van Buuren, 'cause I don't see you liking him... for some reason.

Another! Try Digitalism if you like Daft Punk and/or Ratatat and/or some of The Crystal Method.

Check out:
Pogo
Idealistic (the other video was annoying)

But not all of their music is exactly like this. These are songs I really like.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 pm

I liked the ones you just posted Pasta :P

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:24 am

Zanarkand Princess wrote:I liked the ones you just posted Pasta :P

Heh, glad to hear that someone did. =)