Official Concert Thread

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
cow-boy_be-bop

Re: Official Concert Thread

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm

^^^

And it was AWESOME

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Haha I think I'm the big concert dork here, I bump this thread alot, but last night I saw an awesome show, I saw Anberlin, its their final tour and they recorded it for live stream on yahoo, and I was totally in the video, was incredibly awesome, I'm gonna rip the video and keep it haha cause its only up for 24 hours.

Sorry for the run on lol.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:41 am

I got a delivery notice in my mail slot for my tickets to Shiina Ringo's concert which is at the end of this month. Don't have anyone 100% lined up to go with me yet. That sucks.

I ended up sitting at the front of the crowd at Billy's Bar last week for Yamada Koshi and Ruruou no Asautai's concert. Had a good time. Yamada is very much a larger than life character on a small stage. His brand of gypsy jazz rock is a lot of fun.

Last night I saw Hasegawa Yukihiro and Tatsunosuke in concert at a bar I frequent. The concert was good and so was the drinking party with the artists after the show.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Its awesome when artists are down to earth and hang out with heir fans after a show.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Sunday's Shiina Ringo concert was an interesting experience. My first time attending a big arena concert in Japan. If I'm not mistaken the Saitama Super Arena seats about 50,000 for a soccer match. About three quarters of the arena's seating space was available for the concert. My seat was in row 38 in the 200 level (the stadium has 5 levels of arena seating) of a section that was about 15-20˚ off to the left side of the stage. So it was a good vantage point though I didn't have a good view of the back screen hanging at the rear of the stage.

The show was well done. Ms. Shiina's entrance was on a small mobile stage which was moved down the centre of the floor to the stage. It was made to appear like a boat travelling across a river (the water effect was done with lights shone over the heads of the audience - the flags they were waving looked like ripples in the light). The selection of songs ranged as far back as her third studio album and up to her latest. On stage musicians included a full 30-40 piece orchestra and a backing band (bass, guitar, drums, two sets of percussion instruments, piano, violin, and accordion). She also had a couple of dancers who popped every now and then. She also went through three costume/dress changes. The visuals on the three screens and front pieces of the orchestra stand were tightly linked with the songs. The range of tunes went from cabaret club jazz to straight ahead rock.

I was a bit disappointed by the somewhat restrained response of the crowd but a bit of can be understood given the tight pace at which the show proceeded. There were a number of points where tunes were rattled off so quickly there was hardly more than 10 seconds between them. And there hardly was no stage banter until when she took the stage for her encore song.

All in all the concert was as much theatre as it was a rock concert. It was a visual treat and the sets were well thought out. My friend who saw it with me told me afterwards that he was impressed with the set list. He had had low expectations (sort of along the lines of depending just as much on looks as talen) but came away with an appreciation of her as a full and capable musician with an artistic vision. I'm hoping the show will be released in its entirety as a concert DVD. If it does see the light of day I'll be certain to buy a copy of it.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 am

Saw Zukunasi (http://zukunasi.com), a soul/pop music trio, in concert last night. It was a lot of fun. They really got the audience involved with their energy and humour. The gal who had invited them to play in Yonezawa is a member of the band called Brilliant Shine, a 60s/70s Motown/funk/pop cover band, who opened for them. She had gotten married recently so there was a bit of a celebration mid-show for the newlyweds. By the end of the show Emi, the lead vocalist and guitartist for Zukunasi, had the audience get up on their feet and groove to their music. Lots of fun!

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:15 am

So provided things go as planned Crista and I are going to see Kamelot and DragonForce in Baltimore at the end of April. Power Metal baby!!!! Saw Kamelot in Baltimore 2 years ago and they rocked it. Never seen DragonForce live so this should be fun. Then at the end of May in MD Nightwish, Delain, and Sabaton are coming to town. I saw Delain with Within Temptation once and they were good. I have wanted to see Nightwish live for years but until recent years they never did North American tours. Now with their new singer (Floor Jansen from After Forever/ReVamp) I have high hopes for them so I can't miss this. The fact I get Delain again is a bonus and having Sabaton there also is an even bigger bonus. They toured here last year with ReVamp and I missed them. Now I get to see them anyways. So lots of Symphonic and Power Metal coming up for us heh.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 am

Ooo I used to listen to Nightwish an Sabaton with a friend years ago, tell me how they are live! It sounds totally fun.

Last night I saw Pennywise, theyre an older punk rock band, I got there and realized I was the youngest one there because they're from 1988 so everyone that was my age in 1988 is now late 30s early 40s so I was like a kid to them haha. The guitarist handed me a guitar pick with was awesome!

Saw Silverstein last month for the second time and they were AWESOME.

I've seen a decent amount of shows lately, but I got shy that I'd be the only on posting in this thread <.<

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:46 am

^ I just checked out the writeup about them on last.fm (http://www.last.fm/music/Pennywise/+wiki). Quite an interesting history to the band. They started up in 1988 eh? Kind of explains why I haven't heard of them up to now. They're a from a time period after when I was paying attention to punk bands! ;-)

I got to see Ulful Keisuke in concert last night. Lady Luck was on my side this time. The gig sold out in about 30 minutes. I saw a poster with the "Sold Out - Thank You!" sticker on it at Billy's Bar back in February. I mentioned to a friend I had seen him in concert last year and it looked like I was going to miss out on his show this year. She said she had heard that someone had six returned tickets from cancellations. So I asked her to put in a word for me. A few days later she came back and told me she had managed to secure the last ticket for me. So I was able to attend the gig.

Billy's Bar is not a big place so I showed up 15 minutes before the doors opened. Even then I has at the back of the queue. Nonetheless I managed to nab a good seat about a meter behind the soundboard.

Opening act was MinxZone (http://www.last.fm/music/MinxZone). They're a trio who originally were based in Osaka but they're now based in Tokyo. Since they don't have a bassist they had to rely on taped bass track on their opening song. After that they chugged along as two guitartists and a drummer. They're an upbeat feel-good pop-rock unit. Similar to the band I saw last month, Zukunasi, they include elements of audience participation in their set. Their output isn't limited to music as they had knick-knacks, books, and art T-shirts on sales too.

Ulful Keisuke is the guitarist for the now reformed Ulfuls. The band started out pre-1993 in Osaka and were known for an irreverent and tongue-in-cheek style of rock and roll in the beginning (the name of the band came from dropping "so" from "soulful"). Commercial success followed in the mid nineties. I remember seeing them on an edition of the annual Kohaku Uta Gassen (Red-White Song Battle) in the mid 2000s.

I believe Ulful Keisuke has been doing his annual tours through the Tohoku region for a number of years. He's visited Yonezawa three years in a row. I was at last year's show and it was a good one but the venue was too small for the size of the audience in attendance. This year the layout of the venue was better suited to his style of show. He likes to take an occasional stroll up the aisle to stretch out a guitar solo. ;-) His selection of songs are his own ones which he may or may not have collaborated on with members of Ulfuls. He definitely doesn't mine the Ulfuls catalogue. He likes to chat things up between tunes too. Not to the length of the monologues done by Yamada Koshi though. The selection ranged from a cover of an old Stones tune (though written by Lennon and McCartney) to a couple of ballads and a lot of peppy and energetic rockers.

I drained half my wallet again on CD purchases. Got them autographed by MinxZone and Ulful Keisuke respectively. I complemented Ulful Keisuke, in English, on his T-shirt selection. It was a Monty Python T-shirt. :-)

Footnote: I found out last week that the ticket I got came courtesy of Pinky-chan (real name Eriko) who sings in the house band Brilliant Shine at Billy's Bar. I bumped into her at Yasukuni about three weeks ago when I went there to catch an acoustic night gig which I found about from our office manager. She remembered me from when she made her rounds through the audience after Brilliant Shine finished their set when they had opened for Zukunasi.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:17 am

On Thursday I went to my favorite band, Bayside's "15 year Birthday Tour", it was aaaaaaamazing, and I was able to get front and center. Two of the opening bands were meh, I had seen both before and they weren't much better than the last time I saw them. Sense's Fail also opened for them, and they were fucking awesome, the crowd got a little rough though, but I endured.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:12 am

^ Cool! Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting to hear about these acts through you.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed May 20, 2015 2:12 pm

On Monday night I took in Yagami Junko's concert at the Yonezawa Cultural Hall. Ms. Yagami's career dates back to the 1980s I think. I believe she took a long hiatus from the Japanese music scene to live in the States and raise a family. I first heard about the concert from a friend way back in March.

Anyways, it was a good concert. She probably sang all of the songs from her latest album and tossed more than a handful of her old hits too. There were a number of times she took a break to tell anecdotes and background stories related to the songs. One of the unusual parts where she hit a snag when singing one song and went back to the beginning...twice. It was a deeply emotional song and she just had to get it right.

One funny part was the point in the show where she went off stage to change outfits. She called on the audience to see if anyone was willing to step up on stage to sing one of her songs. A woman volunteered and pulled off a credible rendition of "Mizu Iro no Ame" (Water Coloured Rain). It certainly wasn't an easy thing to do as there was no rehearsal time...just get up on stage, take a copy of the lyric sheet, and then tackle the song with the band.

All in all, I enjoyed the show a lot. I really did go to this one with the feeling of "What have I got to lose?" and was rewarded with an evening of enjoyable, fun, and touching music.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Imagine Dragons concert tomorrow night in Vancouver.

https://www.imaginedragonsmusic.com/tou ... 2015-07-30

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:57 am

Notable concerts this past summer (and September):

Futenma Kaori: She was out to promote her latest album which is a collection of covers. One of them is quite amazing in that she recorded all 12 tracks for a vocal only (more or less "a cappella") cover of a Japanese song. There was a problem with the sound of her microphone: it sounded really flat after it had been through the venue's sound board. Not sure why that happened.

DTF - Doors to Freedom - Rock Festival: Held outdoors at a local ski slope. Not a huge event but well attended in spite of the bad weather. It rained all afternoon. Great acts though: The Band Apart, Husking Bee, Low IQ 01, Taiyozoku, and locals such as Barbs, Yattemo-taro, et al. I had read the program and the name "The Band Apart" hadn't sunk in until when I heard them warming up. Then I recognized the sound. I bought a couple of their albums 6-7 years ago. Interesting act. They mainly write English lyrics for their tunes and they play a mix of rock with bosa nova and jazz influences. Their arrangements are reminiscent of Television but the sound is much more lyrical and, at times, bouncier.

The Ventures: I just had to go catch them in concert once I saw that this year's Japan tour would be the last for founding member Don Wilson. He's finally admitted he can't keep up with the pace of life on the road at the tender age of 82. The concert was tinged heavily in nostalgia but it wasn't without its share of surprises. Particularly enjoyed drummer Leon Taylor's extended solo where he worked his way out to playing the strings of bassist Bob Spaulding's instrument with his sticks. Boy, did I spend a lot of money on stuff at that show...¥7000 for a 5 CD box set, booklet, and pre-autographed photo of the band members.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:51 pm

I attended Bugs Bunny at the Symphony II last night.

http://www.vancouversymphony.ca/concert/15SPEC04/

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Got super lucky last weekend (Jan 16th). I went to Sendai and checked in at the hotel around 4:30pm. After resting for a bit I started checking out club and concert listings. There were a few that seemed a bit interesting...mostly local bands. Then I stumbled upon a web page where I thought I saw "Special Others" scroll by. I waited for it to scroll by again and clicked on the image. Sure enough, Special Others were playing at Rensa, a "live house" that night. The time I realized this was 5:15pm. The concert start time was 6 o'clock. Needless to say I hurried out to try and find the place. Took the subway to the next stop from my hotel and headed topside under the guidance of a map app. Found the place and took the elevator up to the top floor. Yes, tickets were still available. It was around 5:50pm. The concert hall had no seats. It was pretty packed so I found a spot near the back which had a decent view of the stage. As long as someone taller than me wasn't in front of me I could see all the guitarist, drummer, and bassist. The keyboard player was visible most of the time.

They played for the better part of 110 minutes. Had a couple of lengthy chat sessions and came out for one encore tune. I only had one album of theirs and I was impressed with their playing (they're an instrumental rock band whose compositions are more akin to jam sessions that actual songs). They didn't disappoint me with their live show. A wee bit of noodling off here and there but that was part of the fun. Style-wise they're similar to "the band apart" - minus the vocals. Bosa nova, reggae, jazz, and all sorts of other stuff mixed in.

All in all, I was really happy that I happened to be at the right place at the right time. :)

beken

Postby beken » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 am

It has been announced that Video Games Live will be coming to Vancouver on April 3, 2018. Tickets are not on sale yet.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am

Haz tickets to Video Games Live in Vancouver on Apr 3, 2018

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Went to catch a friend play at a gig last Saturday. The evening was a basically a gathering of local metal bands with a kind of visual kei band as the last act. It was called "Chimimoryou on Utage"..."chimi" refers to monsters from the mountains, and "moryou" refers to monsters of the rivers..."utage" is one of banquet, feast, or party depending on your point of view.

The music was consistently fast and loudish...not too loud since the venue isn't too big. My friend Kumi plays drums (I saw her band in concert on Monday) and she filled in for one of the groups who were short on musicians that night. The group basically played metal covers...opening song was Iron Maiden's "Aces High". One of the guys who went with me remarked that most of the people in the venue were band members. :lol:

Return to “Music”