Official Concert Thread

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
Littlewolf

Re: Official Concert Thread

Postby Littlewolf » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I've been to a lot of concerts with most pits, but the most bizzare moshpit I was at was one was at that last anime con I went to. If you recall I was dressed as that Yondaime guy from Naruto, and I had these... girls dressed as Naruto that would not let me go (there were 4 Narutos, one Hinata all just clinging to me and I was too nice to yell at them). I needed a break so I steered them into this room where there was a musical guest, expecting to just sit down, and the band wasn't bad. I forget their name but they was a band playing rocking covers of video game music. They started a neat Zelda cover, and in the center of the floor was an area where people were dancing. I saw a chance here so I steered our little group to the dance floor where I promptly pushed one of them off of me.

"Daddy! What are you doing?!" (They wouldn't stop calling me Daddy T.T)

"Starting a mosh pit." *grin* *pushes another off*

The pushing of the Narutos worked. At some point most on the dance floor started pushing and running into each other to Zelda music, and other people previously in the chairs joined. In the process I got my wig knocked off, and my ninja slipper feet were stepped on quite a bit, but... in the chaos I got away from the Narutos.

They found me again 2 hours later in the Jrock panel with scary calls of Daddy and glomping. :(

Other than that, the most Insane mosh pit I've ever been to was a Pennywise moshpit.

This weekend I'm going to Dragon*con where I shall fan over the sexiest goth musician alive: Voltaire! Seriously, I'll be one of the fangirls in the audience with heart eyes, if such a thing is realistically possible. They have lots of other musicians showing up, but unlike last year no Mindless Self Indulgence, so I doubt I'll be checking them out. I might see mc chris though, and out of sure curiosity some cybergoth girl called Ayria.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 am

Pearl Jam is playing tonight just out in West Valley over here. First time I've personally ever even heard of them coming through Utah. They're probably playing right now. And I'm not there. Because I couldn't come up with the money for the tickets I needed and instead opted to use that money on other things...... Sad day. ;_; Here's hoping I'll get another opportunity to see them again sometime.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 pm

"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

braves

Postby braves » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm

NOTE: I pretty much wrote this for myself in any I need any refresher on remembering this concery. It runs a bit long and is mostly a bunch of unorganized thoughts.

Went last night to my first concert ever: Distant Worlds: music from Final Fantasy. Before the concert started, I was expecting people to dress up for the even (it was the Houston Symphony performing after all), but I was surprised to see some cosplayerss there. Specifically: Kefka, Tifa, Yuffie, and Zidane (haven't played IX, so I was aghast at seeing somebody with a freakin' tail out in public...furries). They were selling t-shirts, CDs, and posters. All overpriced except for the shirts. (white CD=$14, Black CD=$20, poster=$15, t-shirt=$15).

I bought my tickets a bit too late, so I ended up at the balcony, but I still had a decent of the performers and the screen. In case anybody isn't familiar, they play FF music along with scenes from the games. Arnie Roth is the conductor and Nobuo Uematsu himself was in attendance.

They only showed Yoshitaka Amano's artwork for V and nothing for FF, but they showed footage for everything else. A list of what they played:
[spoiler=]-Prelude to Final Fantasy
-Liberi Fatali from FF VIII
-To Zanarkand from FF X
-Don't be Afraid from FF VIII
-Ronfaure from FF XI
-Memorio de la Stono- Distant Worlds from FF XI
-Dear Friends from FF V
-Vamo' al Flamenco from FF IX
-The Man With The Machine Gun from FF VIII
-Bombing Mission from FF VII
-Fisherman's Horizon from FF VIII
-Swing de Chocobo from FF
-Aeris's Theme from FF VII
-The Promise and Fang's theme from FF XIII (Masashi Hamauzu)
-Twilight over Thanalan and Beneath Blood Borders from FF XIV
-Opera, Maria and Draco from FF VI
-J-E-N-O-V-A from FF VII
-Terra's Theme from FF VI (unlisted; Roth said this was one of Uematsu's personal favorites)
-One-Winged Angel from FF VII (unlisted; of freakin' course they ended the concert with this! Everybody in the hall had freakin' fangasm when Uematsu came out and participated in the chorus.)[/spoiler]

There was some Q&A later on with Uematsu and Roth. Uematsu actually spoke a bit of English, but he had an assistant with him to translate. Standard light fare, but the notable ones where what color Chocobo would Uematsu have (black Chocobo.... Black chocobo FROM HELL*), marriage proposals (yes, tried to take off his wedding ring, but it wouldn't come off :P, and favorite character (Aerith). He later said "kawaii" after mentioning Aerith, but his translator said something akin to "he would like to meet her again".... His translator would done well to speak more clearly and loudly. >.< Other questions were what was the hardest and longest song to compose. One-Winged Angel was the answer for both. He made One-Winged Angel by taking different motifs, putting them in a computer, and rearranging them until it fit. It was an experimental way of doing things and Roth said that it payed off. There were obviously more questions for Uematsu than for Roth. Though Roth mentioned that what drives him to do these concerts was to conduct the best symphonies around the worlds. Other Q's where: how do you get into the music business (sends lots of tapes), how do you join the Distant Worlds band (we don't carry around a band, but maybe we could have a virtual band in the future). Roth wanted a Yellow Chocobo.

The best of the concert, aside from One-Winged Angel, was the Don't Be Afraid segment since they put actual gameplay up on the screen along with some huge robot chasing after them. I have to admit that I've only finished FF X, FF X-2, and Crisis Core, so I was a bit lost on quite a bit of the references and how the music all fit in. But I have to say that I enjoyed a ton and I would definitely to it all over again.

Interesting to note, when they played Terra's Theme, they also showed the credits for the concert. Naturally, Uematsu got the biggest round of applause when his name came up on the screen, but Yoshitaka Amano (artwork) got a comparable amount as well. Tetsuya Nomura and Akihiko Yoshida (character design) got a healthy hand too, but it wasn't as big as Amano. Even though they were credited one after another (maybe the audience just didn't want to go wild for two consecutive credits :P), the fans were older (from around my age to people in their 40s and 50s), so I'm not too surprised that Amano was more popular....even if I like Nomura more.

On a weird note, there was this one guy in the elevator that had cocky, smart alec attitude that I had myself back from laughing. You know the type. The one that has a bit of self-confidence but is lacking in self-awareness. He made a Hammer Time joke and that's all I have to say about that.

*yes, it was a total nerdfest and we were proud of it. He also said that in English.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 am

braves wrote:They were selling t-shirts, CDs, and posters. All overpriced except for the shirts. (white CD=$14, Black CD=$20, poster=$15, t-shirt=$15).

Realizing you spent way too much money on only 4 items but knowing in your heart they were worth it: priceless ;)
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

braves

Postby braves » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:04 pm

^Heh, should have clarified that I only ended up buying a T-shirt and a poster (signed). If I had the money I would have picked up the CDs, though.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Took in the X-Japan concert last night. I kept running into people I know from the Vancouver Mokuyokai at the concert hall. We should've had a discussion thread on the group's page to see who was going. But I digress....

Opening act was a band from California called Vampires Everywhere!. They weren't bad as far as opening acts go: energetic but the vocalist was incomprehensible. I'd categorize them as emo-goth-metal.

The main act was a totally different story. X-Japan came out with style, a touch of bombast and a solid wall of sound. Their stage presence was strong (though bordering on pretentious) and they certainly played the audience well. I don't know their entire discography but I did recognize a couple of songs from their first album in their concert song list. There was a "break point" in the show where their new guitarist (sorry, don't remember his name) went solo on an electric violin and then was joined in a duet with Yoshiki on piano. And yes they did use pre-recorded music in a couple of points of the show; especially in the encore set where Yoshiki bled his guts out over the piano and the final song where they set aside their instruments to take their final bows. Oh yeah, I'll have to figure out which song it was they stopped playing and let the audience sing the chorus several times over. So you can see the concert wasn't just all volume and bravado. It had its touching moments too.

All in all it was an interesting experience: Japanese stadium rock being played out in a theatre which seats a little under 3000 people. To the best of my knowledge there wasn't an empty seat in the place. If anyone had told me ten years ago that I would go to see them live I would've given them a look like they'd lost their marbles entirely. Today I can gladly say I got a good return for my investment. I'm not even what one would call a casual fan of X-Japan but I can safely say my respect for their work has gone up considerably. :)

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 am

NB: Photos (not mine) taken at the concert on Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lastfm%3Aevent%3D1646746/interesting/

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:43 pm

d.yaro wrote:X-Japan came out with style, a touch of bombast and a solid wall of sound.

the encore set where Yoshiki bled his guts out over the piano

ERRRGH I hate you so much right nowww :x

There was a "break point" in the show where their new guitarist (sorry, don't remember his name)

SUGIZO?
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 am

Went with a friend to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The ticket was his early Christmas present for me. To say the least the concert was an interesting affair. The first half of the show was a rock opera telling of a Christmas story. The second half was what I guess some people will call "symphonic metal". The first half was pretty good but I wasn't quite sure if the thing was going to turn into some kind of super religious show at any given point in time. The second half of the show was quite over the top. Definitely a blast back to the good old days (late 70s-80s) of big arena rock with big light shows, big hair and lots of flame pots. I'm afraid to say it got embarrassingly bad at times. The music in the first half was a lot of Christmas carols with metal/hard rock mixed in. Second half was metal/hard rock with classical music spliced in (not to mention the Canadian national anthem and a few bars of a song by Rush). Don't think they're something I would've taken the initiative to check out on my own but it was fun (or should I say, funny).

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Went with a friend to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Very, very jealous right now! I love their Christmasy stuff. The second half sounds.. interesting enough!

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 am

Went to a local tapas bar/artists lounge tonight called Raw Canvas. The event there was "Red, Yellow, and Black", a fundraiser to help combat malaria and jigg-flea infections in Uganda. A friend of mine was on the bill of performers. It was a good event and I certainly enjoyed the music. The last person on the bill was this young lady name Sylvia Oakley. Check out her songs at http://www.myspace.com/musicbysylvia. I certainly enjoyed her tune "Four 23". She lived in a place where she had her piano set up at a big bay window. She looked out onto the neighbour's house, #423, and sat and watched this woman and her grown-up daughter every day sitting there arguing and smoking cigarettes. Her song "Breathe It Out" tells her take on her previous suffocating 9 to 5 job (which she somewhat thankfully admits she got fired from).

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:19 am

Saw Ron Sexsmith in concert tonight. I got hooked on him when I saw the documentary film "Love Shines" at the Vancouver International Film Festival last year. I was quite annoyed when I found out at the end of the movie that the album which was part of the main focus of the movie hadn't been released. Well, now I'm much happier as it has been released and Ron is on tour promoting it. It was a good show. Generally laid back atmosphere. Sexsmith had a good rapport with the audience and he played a healthy mix of old tunes and new ones. I for one was very happy when he played "Brandy Alexander", a song he co-wrote with Feist a few years ago.

Opening for Ron was the duo Ash Koley. The name of the group is odd since Ash Koley is one half of the duo. The last.fm artist page sums it up neatly: "Don’t be fooled by the eponymous nature of the name. Ash Koley is a band comprised of two people: Ash Koley and Phil Deschambault. Phil concedes his name isn’t as catchy, and Ash is narcissistic enough to agree to have the band named after herself." On their recordings they have a full supporting band but in concert it was just Ash anf Phil on stage. Phil played guitar and Ash sang. They're a fun duo (a bit nerdy...Phil names his guitars...I think one was called Martin and the other Barbara) what with Ash going on about smelling popcorn (the concert was held in a movie theatre) and someone going up on stage and giving her a bag of popcorn. They did a nice medley of tunes/artists who have inspired them. I recognized Eurythmics ("Here Come the Rain Again"), Peter Gabriel ("Solsbury Hill") and The Beatles.

All in all it was a low key concert. My ears didn't get blasted out and I could make out virtually all the lyrics to all the songs. Yup, I'm happy.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Went to Cafe Laboratory today and Aiko, who works there, mentioned that she was playing at Live ARB tonight. So I went and caught her gig. She was nervous as heck but put in a good performance. The band after her is called The Barleys and they were quite good. Their vocalist sounds like a young version of the guy who fronted Sharan-Q. They had a solid rock music repertoire with a touch of blues/R&B influence. The final act, whose name is on my iPhone, were similar to early Red Hot Chili Peppers and also reminded me of Maximum the Hormone. I loved the slap bass line the bassist put down on a couple of tracks. My ears are ringing but it was worth the ¥500 admission (plus you get a free drink too).

Edit: The name of the second band was 2HYRN.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Caught The 5.6.7.8's in concert in Yamagata city on Sunday night. One of the opening acts arrived late and thus pushed back the showtimes for all the following acts. Thus I had to bail out on the main act because I had to get my car out of the parkade which was due to close at midnight. That was bummer. The band that screwed up wasn't all that great either...a screamo metal band. Big deal. The other two opening acts were quite cool. One was a collective of aboutn 10 people who did everything from samba to rap/hip-hop. The other was a rockabilly outfit. I really enjoyed their show. The sound board guy could've done something about the mikes for the vocalists because it was pretty hard to suss out what they were singing. But the music was great. Bought two of their CDs. The 5.6.7.8's didn't disappoint. The audience got pretty rowdy for the first half a dozen songs. First time I've seen anything remotely resembling a mosh pit at a concert in this country. Weirdest entry was a tall older guy dressed in a suit and tie who made it a point to bump into as many people as he could manage to. Anyways, the ringing in my ears has more or less subsided now... :)

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:21 am

Well just the other week I got to cross off a musical item from my bucket list. I finally got to see Kamelot live. Been trying for years. Had a concert cancelled during their Ghost Opera tour, and during the Poetry for the Poisoned tour I had my work schedule change and could not get out of it. Before that they didn't come near me much. Unfortunately Khan has left the band but the new guy Tommy was amazing himself. And they played a lot of older songs too which was awesome. Love their new Silverthorne album too.

As an added bonus I got to see one of my favorite female fronted metal bands to. Delain. I've seen a few others, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Halestorm, In This Moment, but never Delain. This was their first US tour. Awesomesauce. If I can get to a Stream of Passion and Amaranthe concert I will be truly happy.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Went to a Bayside concert the other night. My friend who was supposed to come bailed because she more important plans the same night, so my other friend who never heard of them, being nice, came with me. Of course knowing hes clausterphobic I warned him standing in the crowd would get rough (he had a panic attack mid-day during comiccon last year), and he ditched me at the concert because he couldnt take it. As soon as I was alone, the ENTIRE PLACE turned into one big mosh, I had someone dropped full force onto my hear, i was dragged around like a rag doll (Im 5"1 and 120 pounds, so im little) my feet barely touched the floor being squashed between so many people, I was elbowed and shoved, my hair started as a ponytail on top of my head and ended up half as a ball in back of my head, half hanging around my shoulders. Half way through Baysides set though, after being pushed around so much I somehow ended up in the greatest standing spot in the entire place (it had pros and cons but still best spot) I ended up in the front up againts the guard rail wall directly in the center, parallel to the lead microphone. Best. View. The bad part was, everyone crowd surfing was mostly coming over almost directly center, so I had alot of people dragged over my head by the bouncers pulling them down, I got booted to the head, someone with timrerlands (why are you crowd surfing in timerland boots?) got me in the eye. BUT all scrapes and brises and sores aside(I think I have round 9) it was a great show, and I got a great view. The lead singer at one point was touching the fans hands in the front, but me being short he couldn't reach mine, so he waved at me, HE WAVED DIRECTLY AT ME. So cool.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:12 am

^ Wow. Sounds like a wild time. Glad you enjoyed it. I think I'm a bit too old to weather that kind of banging around though.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 am

Can maybe cross off another power metal band frm the concert bucket list. Sonata Arctica iscoming to B-more in September as part of their US tour. And if that was not awesome enough their opening acts are Delain and Xandria. So I get to see Delain again (awesome) and get to see Xandria (awesome 2) who don't make it over to the states much. Neither do Sonata Arctica for that matter. Epic power metal and symphonic metal night for sure. Months away but I'm still stoked. And Xandria and Sonata will have new albums out this spring and Delain this summer maybe. So all 3 and new cds....yes sir.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Sat May 03, 2014 2:14 am

Just bought some warped tour tickets for this summer, im excited ((:!

Return to “Music”