Official Concert Thread

If it's got a beat, bring it here music fans. The home for all your musical discussions.
Psycho 101
Promoter

Official Concert Thread

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:15 pm

If you got a concert you're going to or want to talk about here you go. As for me this Thursday I will hopefully be heading to the Nissan Pavilion in West Springfield VA to rock out to Kamelot. Woot! I also plan to go the DragonForce's concert here in Baltimore at the Rams Head Live on November 26th.

Saki

Re: Official Concert Thread

Postby Saki » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 am

*Is envious*

I don't go to concerts much... It's mostly classical music. What I do is actually participate in them. Had one last Tuesday, and I'll have two more in the end of the month.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:40 am

And I'll continue to wish you lucky my dear. I'll see if there's any cool concert material for sale at the DragonForce concert. Maybe I can pick you up a nice small souvenir.

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:28 pm

If it's a T-shirt, make sure it's M or L.

Have another concert on Thursday. Singing the same stuff as the last one: Vaughan William's Sine Nomine and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Viga

Postby Viga » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:29 am

Psycho 101 wrote:If you got a concert you're going to or want to talk about here you go. As for me this Thursday I will hopefully be heading to the Nissan Pavilion in West Springfield VA to rock out to Kamelot. Woot! I also plan to go the DragonForce's concert here in Baltimore at the Rams Head Live on November 26th.

DRAGONFORCE! I must go! I gotta get my tickets but I'll have to wait until next pay day. If I get to go let's meet up! Concert are more fun with people you know. Unless you're in the mosh pit that is. That is always fun!

I'm going to see Suburban Legends and Aquabats at the Black Cat in DC on Nov. 17.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 am

Sure...though I'm not much of a mosher though. My immediate reaction to that is start swinging and break bones. Not a good idea to put me in a mosh pit lol. Since the Kamelot concert was a bust I'll be taking my friend Timo with me as he very belated birthday gift hehe. he's very shy around new people so him meeting you would just be freaking hilarious. Oh I am so bringing my camera for that lol.

Cloe

Postby Cloe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm going to see Smashing Pumpkins in a few weeks!! I'm super excited. My tickets arrived in the mail a few days ago. I got pit seats, fuck yeah! It should be a really great show (I'm actually going 2 nights in a row, Dec. 2 and 3) with an emphasis on Gish material. Which is awesome, because I LOVE Gish. Billy's already released a statement saying that fans who attend both nights will hear no repeats. XD I'm totally pumped. PUMPKINS!!!

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:45 pm

I thought they had broken up?

Zewerr

Postby Zewerr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:01 am

I just got home from the AC/DC show. A show that sold out in about half an hour. Their shows are simply spectacular! It's the third time I've seen them, and they're still just as great as ever. I was in the 27th row this time. My ears are ringing so much right now, and I don't have a voice anymore. I will jump at the chance to see them live anytime. They are simply the best live show out there!

I'll try to upload some picts later on.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 am

Went and saw the Tegan and Sarah/Broken Social Scene concert at the Orpheum Theatre (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8936205@N02/3251539723/). The concert is part of the Cultural Olympiad arts festival. Yes, it is tied in with the 2010 Olympics.

Tegan and Sarah were both candid and relaxed and yet very intense. I enjoyed their show a lot. Tonight's concert was the last of their tour and I think they've been on the road for about a year. Most of the songs they performed came off their two albums "So Jealous" and "The Con". It was quite funny where Tegan warned the audience that she was having trouble remembering the lyrics to some of their older songs ("So Jealous" was released in 2004) and then promptly got lost in the next song they did ("Speak Slow" off of "So Jealous"). "I'm getting old" she said. Ha! They did one killer song which they haven't recorded (Sarah said they likely would never record it). I'm certainly glad I caught them in concert.

Broken Social Scene is quite unique. They have 8 members on stage (I lost count) so they're more like a small rock orchestra than a large rock band. A lot of the material they played was infected with clever pop hooks which you swear you've heard in someone else's songs. They didn't seem unafraid to experiment on stage either. I wouldn't say they're a great band based on that one show but I did enjoy them.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:14 am

Attended a Vancouver Symphony Orchestra concert last night. Louis Lorti(sic) was the soloist. Played two short pieces composed by Liszt for piano with orchestra. Very good performance. And a really cool piano. It was a Fazoli and man, that thing was an amazing instrument. The main orchestra piece for the evening was Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra". First time I've ever listened to the whole thing. I certainly recommend giving the whole thing a listen at least once...rather than replaying in your head the first couple of minutes which was used in "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Going a little retro.... Just received my tickets in the mail for the Depeche Mode concert in Toronto in July... I'm very pumped.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:50 am

Of course I would have the first Jpop entry here :roll:
I'm going to see Ai Kawashima in may. She's having a concert during the Cherry Blossom festival

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 am

Not sure if anyone likes the same music I do, but NIN and the reunited Jane's Addiction will be touring together... with Street Sweeper opening. This is sweet! I just saw NIN in Toronto last October and it was a great show.

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 pm

I don't go to concerts much, but that sounds like a cool show.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 am

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:I don't go to concerts much, but that sounds like a cool show.
There is a show in Burgettstown, PA. Would that be close to you in Philly? Here's a link to the site if you want information.
http://www.ninja2009.com/

(kind of neat that NIN and JA together makes NINJA! What can I say... I find amusement in the little things.)

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:56 am

I wasn't sure where to post this... but thought it was an interesting article about Ticketmaster being sued.
Ticketmaster on Trial

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 am

Drove down to Seattle on Friday to check out the Japan Nigh 2009 tour as is swung through there. The venue was the High Dive bar/club which really is just a bar, a few tables, a dance floor and a small stage. Nothing fancy. I did enjoy the I.P.A. they serve there. I was joined by Tomoko, a Japanese student who is staying at my friend's mother-in-law's place. She had no idea what she was getting herself into and I sure as heck didn't really research the acts who were on the bill. So this show was an adventure unto itself for both of us.

We didn't realize it but we had missed the opening act (a local band I think). So the first act we caught was [url=http://sxsw-asia.com/JapanNite2009/FLiP.html]FLIP/[url]. They're made up of four young women from Okinawa. No, they're not another SPEED. They play their own instruments. A bit pensive but pretty good energy.

Next up was the one man act Omokaka. Okay. So you have a person in a miko-san outfit, wearing a bob cut wig and a Noh-like mask on stage with a pile of gear. I didn't remember all the items in his inventory of equipment but they included a modified Nintendo DS, GameBoy, one other handheld device and at least one laptop PC...and a monitor (at least 24") which was mounted on a chair and used to show videos of his "singers". The music itself is a mixture of electronica and traditional Japanese elements. Check out a bootleg video of the Chicago show here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14TamgIExE.

Sparta Locals were up next. Like FLIP, a quartet with two guitarists, bassist and drummer. Unlike FLIP, these guys had a higher energy level and worked their butts off trying to get the audience moving. Didn't quite succeed on that count but were good enough for my money. (Oh yeah, their latest release is partially available in the iTunes store but only the slow studio recorded songs are listed. The live tunes from the CD are immensely better but not on sale there. Go figure eh?)

Detriot 7 are not actually from Detroit and they are a trio. A heavier sounding hard rocking unit who managed to get the crowd hopping a fair bit. This is in spite of one out of control rabid "fan" who created a one man mosh pit of his own on the dance floor until one of his buddies, with another guy applying a neck hold on him, pinned him to the floor. That happened before the band let into a pretty aggressive cover of "Louie Louie".

The last act of the night, SA (short of Samurai Attack), originally formed up in 1984, broke up in 1987 and reformed in 1999. These guys had no trouble getting the audience involved and had the place hopping pretty good. I commented to Tomoko that their sound reminded me of The Blue Hearts, to which she replied "Yes, but much faster". :-)

So there you go: a quick rundown on a night well spent in Seattle. This is the third time I've taken in a concert on the Japan Night tour (second time in Seattle, went to San Francisco in 2007 because GO!GO!7188 was on the bill there) and I have to say this one was probably the best one I've been to so far. Cheers!

Zewerr

Postby Zewerr » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:53 am

Looks like I'm gonna go see AC/DC........*sigh* again. :P

I just bought tickets to the second Tacoma show for their Black Ice tour. Being that this one is happening less than a year after the last one, this one isn't selling out in minutes like the last one did. They went on sale at 10 am this morning, and there are still tickets available.

Anyway, this will be the fourth time I've seen them. Now I gotta figure out who's gonna go with me.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm

AWESOME! Peter Murphy will be at the Toronto Opera House, Saturday July 11th. He has the sexiest voice..... *turns to mush just thinking about it*
I MUST go.... :shock:

Return to “Music”