Amazon.com and Bad Taste

A section for all those current and up to date news stories and issues impacting the world.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Amazon.com and Bad Taste

Postby d.yaro » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 am

Read the story first. The part that gets me mad is where a customer complained to Amazon.com about a product...and then later received an e-mail recommending to him the product he complained about.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/amazon-accused-of-profiting-from-hate-1.3358259
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Re: Amazon.com and Bad Taste

Postby beken » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Yes it's bad taste. But we are in a country where freedom of expression is a right. Amazon has no right to censor customers. They do have the right to not allow sale of such items on their site ifss such items were illegal. It's like going to a grocery store and being allergic to peanuts, I can't force the grocery store to stop selling peanuts.

The best thing to do is to not buy the items and hope the lack of sales of such items will stop the seller from selling such items on Amazon.

However, one also has the right to say Amazon has poor taste in having supplier that sell such items.

beken

Re: Amazon.com and Bad Taste

Postby beken » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Amazon should also have a look at their algorithm when recommending stuff to sell. I wonder what they are using to do that because even if I don't log in and I delete my history, things I looked at in the past will still pop up as recommendations. Possibly they log IP addresses.

Return to “Current Events”