Official Wrestling Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
Psycho 101
Promoter

Re: Official Wrestling Thread

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 am

Why bother renaming it? I love the WWE but it is getting predictable and with the constant stars being on both shows it's not seperate brands anymore. Simply calling it WWE 12 I think is good enough. I want the game to be better and if what I read is actually what it's going to be like I might actually get this one. Definitely give it a rent.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 am

Tonight on Raw, CM Punk announced that he was leaving after the Money in the Bank pay per view. It's really going to suck not having him around. He was the first wrestler that I could actually relate to. He introduced me to what living a straight edge lifestyle was, which was something I was already doing, but before, I didn't even know it had a name. When I was introduced to and learned more about CM Punk, it brought a smile to my face that he lived the clean lifestyle that he lived. It made me feel like I wasn't the only one in the world that didn't smoke, didn't get shitfaced on a regular basis, and didn't get fucked up on some kind of dopey drug that not only messes up your brain, but also messes up your good standing with society. If you don't believe me, ask one of my friend's younger brother. He's in prison right now in Oklahoma for having illegal drugs in his possession. But this is not about that, this is about me finding a role model with a positive message, something that is extremely hard to find in today's society.

[/mark out]

Also, I hope that the bookers pull a Trish Stratus and exempt Punk from the "timed honored tradition" and have him win the WWE Championship at Money in the Bank.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:19 am

What I thought was hilarious was how R Truth got "got" by Lil Jimmy at Capital Punishent lol. Oh shiat lil jimmy gots him lol!

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 am

Any idea on when we're going to see this new guy that one the whole Tough Enough thing in ring action? I mean if you just look at the guy, heck, even if you just listen to his voice he simply just looks and sounds like a real WWE Superstar. I've been really looking forward to how he's going to fare. Perhaps they're giving him a bit of time to get adjusted or something?

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:54 am

^Oh, you're talking about Silent Rage there. When I look at him, I don't see "WWE Superstar", I see some overgrown, 6'5" weeping family man who might have had a good sob story, but I really don't think he can handle a life out on the road and going all over the world for over 300 days out of the year. Stone Cold clearly screwed this one up here.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 am

Well it was all about that last match and he was more impressive and wanted it more. That's what it boiled down to. On that note I think SC did fine and made the right call. Now the real trick will be to see if he STICKS WITH IT now that he's earned it. If he doesn't and he squanders this chance...well I doubt he'd get another one.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:41 am

That CM Punk promo at the end of Raw is by far the greatest thing I've seen since for as long as I've been watching wrestling :o. I don't know how much of that was worked but that was amazing as hell,
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 am

What? You mean I missed something good? I guess that's what I get for changing the damn channel with about 20 or so minutes left because of an extremely stale champion in the main event. Oh well, there's always A.M. Raw to let me know what happened.

Also, I really enjoyed the Evan Bourne-Sin Cara match. Those two are the reason the WWE needs to bring back the Cruiserweight championship. Them getting rid of it was a major bonehead move.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 am

I agree. The Cruiser weights were the real excitement. That match was simply awesome. Word has it Mick Foley is scouting a bunch of high flyers over in Japan. For TNA I presume. WWE needs to do something similar.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 am

Well, according to the current WWE roster (as of June 28, 2011), they have enough cruiserweights to already bring back the title with the likes of Evan Bourne, Sin Cara, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder, Daniel Bryan, and I'm sure they could call up a few others from FCW to round out the division. Of course, they would have to make the title dual-branded, but it would be awesome to see them bring it back. In fact, someone on Twitter requested to retweet some message if I wanted them to bring back the title, so I did.

They also need to bring back a true tag team division, but that's another story for another day.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Here's the promo in all its glory (at least before it gets taken down)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbecTTtS74[/youtube]
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am

You could tell that was not scripted obviously. Punk REALLY means that all......and honestly I gotta agree with a lot of what he said. First off I love Cena, I really do. He's just fun. But he is NOT the best WRESTLER there. Not by far. See to me there are 2 main types of wrestlers there. Those that A. excel at the actual wrestling and athletic aspect of the job, and then B those that can work the mic. You have some that can't do either and a rare few who can do both well. Let's focus on the main 2 though. John Cena is a type B superstar. His moves are.....bulky like him. They're not fluid. He is not a great technical wrestler. He however can work the mic like nobody's business. That's why he is the face of the company and the current golden child. If he annoying at times with the pg routine? Sure. But that's the name of the game right now. They want all of WWE ro be PG rated so Cena plays by those rules and he doesn't need a prompter or people to write his lines *coughrockcough* but on the technical side he lacks some. A great technical wrestler with little mic skills is Evan Bourne. That man can fly like his name says. Mic skills....not so much. Or for a more appropriate example related to Cena how about Swagger. Got his mic skills suck but the man is a damn good wrestler. So Punk does have a point there that Cena is not the best "wrestler" there. I do give him a lot more credit then Rock though. I mean after he left Rock went on record saying he wanted to be known as Dwyane not and not the Rock. He didn't want to be known as a WWE superstar anymore. Now he comes back saying how he always loved the fans and this and that and will never leave......and has left again. Haven't seen him around have you? Cena may be a putz at times but he is there every day. He goes through probably the worst schedule of ANY superstar there because he is the golden child. He's the one doing the most interviews, promos, ads, guest star on shows, etc etc. Add on week in and week out wrestling.....he has no personal life at all. I wouldn't necessarily say Punk is the best but I'd put him in my top choices. He is one of the few who DOES excel at all aspects of the WWE. Honestly if he took out the "really" all the time so does the Miz. The Miz is growing and becoming better and better I think. Another example of one who can do both brilliantly is Chris Jericho. The problem is the current version of the WWE (the PG era as it's being called) is more profitable now then it ever has been. So what incentive does Vince have to change it?

The incentive he should have to change things up some is the shows are getting predictable. The matches are becoming easier and easier to call and predict. Superstars are not being given proper time and attention to develop like they used to. Everyone wants the spot light and top billing but not all wrestlers are equal. Not all of them deserve the top billing. Hello Mark Henry. The other problem is they're focusing too much on the big names and main belts. The cruiser weight level is being under utilized big time. They need to really pump some time into that. Get some more cruisers in there to liven it up. Even more so then that the women's division is a flat out joke now. I mean really, when was the last time any of you were HONESTLY entertained by the Divas there? They're getting even less time and attention and have become not much more then selling points to the guys. Kharma was the cure for that but she got pregnant so now they need another solution. The 2 shows are also not really that seperate anymore. They both used have a different feel to them from each other. Smackdown was always PG but Raw was PG-13 and it set them apart. They need to go back to that.

Back to Punk though, he is also right Vince has a lot of yes men working for him and Steph won't be much better then daddy. HHH could be but I doubt it. He's more concerned with being the good son in law it seems. Plus he does have 1 (or is it 2 now) daughter to think about now too. They need some execs there who will speak up for what is BEST for the company and maybe not the most profitable in the short term. Short term profit keep going as they are but in the long term...they're gonna get too boring and dry up. Punk mentioned Brock who left but another big name recently is Batista who left because he also did not like the direction the company was heading in. There have been countless others. I still watch week in and week out but I would be lying if I said I was disappointed some. Even more so now with Punk leaving.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 am

This is from good ole JR himself......

CM Punk’s show closing promo on MNR is still seemingly the talk of the wrestling biz. It was the best promo that I’ve heard on TV in years. Can’t say it was the definitive ‘best ever’ but it ranks among the best that I can recall. Steve Austin, who cut some memorable promos in his day, was extremely impressed with Punk’s work as were several other great promo men such as JBL and Mick Foley. Normally when a talent is extremely passionate about a topic or an issue and speaks from their heart and not from a memorized document, the promo has a fighting chance at being stellar.”

“The first thing that must be in place for a promo to be great is that it must be natural ala from the heart and not from memory plus the talent must believe in what they are saying and not simply verbally filling time. Every promo must have a reason for taking place much akin to why most matches occur especially on PPV or in TV main events”

“Talking on a wrestling show should be special, and that means all talk, and with the special meaning that all talk should have a purpose. Too much talk for talk’s sake waters down the product, slows the process and disconnects with many viewers especially when it is obvious that the talents that are talking are not skilled and/or are simply reciting what they’ve memorized.”

“Punk says that he is leaving after the MITB Ladder Match PPV in Punk’s hometown of Chicago in July. He also says he’s leaving WWE with the WWE Title. Those two elements certainly should make for some compelling TV on Monday Night Raw. Whether Punk wins or doesn’t win the WWE Title is a hill I choose not to die upon but Punk staying in WWE is something that I personally hope happens in some shape, form or fashion. punk has as much to say about that eventual decision as anyone and as we have seen if one can predict what Punk’s going to do next then take those instincts to Vegas and make some big money.”

“Punk’s promo was reminiscent of the Attitude Era but it was totally PG. PG can be edgy but it doesn’t need to travel an uncreative, low road to be attitudinal or cool. “

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 pm

I think you make a lot of very good points Sean. I've admittedly been kind of oblivious, for obvious reasons considering I'm only in my 3rd year or so following the WWE, to a lot of the things Punk's promo addresses, but I can easily see where him and thusly a lot of the WWE fans (including yourself it looks like) are coming from on this. Even just in the three or so years I've been following thing aren't nearly as interesting or exciting as they were when I first started out, and I do believe it has a lot to do with a lot of the superstars that make it exciting for me either taking a backseat to other less deserving superstars or some of them even going heal.

The latter reason I mentioned though I think has been a part of a trend of people who feel the same way C.M. Punk do, I just think Punk has been the only one of them to actually come out with it as honestly as he did, non-scripted and everything. I mean let's face it, I'm not the only one who has noticed this trend. Whether scripted or not, a lot of these now heel superstars are preaching a lot of the same things Punk did. We've got Christian who was forced to lose his childhood-dreamed world title over to Randy Orton, we've got R-Truth who was actually taken out of a WWE Championship match, we've got Michael Cole who, while the majority of his heel-esque rants are obviously scripted (I mean let's face it, there's no other way he'd be taking the opposing viewpoints of every single aspect of the WWE that get's cheered, not to mention his more recent outburst of ego and his confrontation with Jerry Lawler that was all obviously scripted) actually has made some very valid and interesting points in some of them, and we've got superstars like Batista and Chris Jericho who despite both being the type of wrestler you mentioned Sean that both can rock the mic and have lots of athletic talent at the same time, so much so that they both probably had a much, much longer career in the business ahead of them at still relatively young ages, left the company as two of the most disliked heels in the business preaching the exact same things the above mentioned people have. I'm thinking Punk's departure is very much so in the same light as the latter two in that just like everybody I've mentioned, he really is as sick of the way things are being run as he says he is on the show, like the latter two he's leaving because of it, and in his own dignified way decided to be honest, unscripted in nature and tell everybody these feelings for real rather than in the impersonal way he'd been doing it already.

I think I'm with J.R. on this though. When you've got a superstar with balls like that you've really got something special on your hands. I'd like to think he'll end up staying in one way or another, but if not then at the very least I'd like to see his words have some sort of long-term effect. I think his abrupt cutoff at the end of RAW and his indefinite suspension is evidence of the fact that no one plans on changing anything any time soon because of what he said, but I would at least like to think there are others in the business, such as your R-Truths or Christians or Michael Coles or anyone else that might be feeling the same way, feeling inspired enough by Punk to take the same kind of stand he did. Maybe Punk can't make it happen by himself but the more people follow in his footsteps the more likely we'll start to see changes for the better.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:06 am

The big thing is most wrestling has become vanilla. WWE, TNA, and all others. What Punk has done is slapped some taste out of their mouth and woken them up. He has given the WWE a perfect opportunity to shake things up and make it exciting again. He's given them a few CC's of hope and a wake up call and they need to run with this and not let this opportunity slip through their hands. Even if he does in fact leave and they can't convince him to stay the opportunity is still there to shake the very foundation up. I would LOVE it if they brought Paul Heyman back. God he was an ass but man was he a brilliant ass.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 am

I would have to agree here. I read the transcript of CM Punk's promo on Raw and I must say, it looks like one of the best promos in the history of professional wrestling. The man simply told it like it was. He said stuff that the vast majority of the internet wrestling community were saying on here and on all the pro wrestling dirt sheets. He spoke out against the status quo. He even called out the chairman of the board himself about his mediocrity, big ego, and inability to take constructive criticism. He also spoke out about how he had been one of the most misused wrestlers on the roster. Why do you think Batista left? Why do you think MVP left? Why do you think Chavo Guerrero left? I sense a pattern here. Three other guys that could have easily have been the future of your company and they're now gone. Batista left mainly due to the TV-PG direction they're currently taking, but I believe his misuse definitely played a part.

Remember last year after Kane won the World Heavyweight Championship I posted that they needed to put a world championship on Christian? Well, a few months ago, they did. And what did they do? They made Christian a transitional champion. It was a feeling of they felt like they were forced to put the title on Christian after Edge retired. They really didn't want to, but they had to. As a result, they turn Christian heel and have him constantly be buried by Randy Ce--, I mean Orton. Randy Orton is definitely NOT face material. It is just completely out of his character. With nicknames like "The Legend Killer" and "The Viper", I find it impossible to think of him as anything but a heel. Way back in the day when he was in Evolution, was one-half of Rated RKO, and after that when he formed Legacy he was such a great bad guy that I actually kinda liked him. If they find it absolutely necessary for him to be a face, at least make him an antihero in the vein of Stone Cold Steve Austin and have him RKO any wrestler, regardless of alignment. Also, the only reason he's the World Heavyweight Champion is because the higher-ups are too scared to have John Cena work Tuesdays! Speaking of which...

You all know my criticisms of John Cena, so I'm going to keep this short: His schtick is extremely stale, he wears those godawful jean shorts, I mean, who in the blue hell thinks that jean shorts are actually stylish? My God, he needs to appear on an episode of What Not to Wear. And, of course, most of his matches are predictable as hell. Like Alberto Del Rio would say, "But you already know that.". As a performer, Cena's act has gotten older than George Burns, but as a human being, he is one of the best. That came out of left field, didn't it? He is very passionate about this sport, he has an incredible respect for the men and women that serve in the armed forces, and I also enjoy the occasional 8-bit Nintendo reference in his promos. That I can admire in Cena.

One of CM Punk's tattoos is a tribute to the late, great Chris Candido, which reads, "No Gimmicks Needed". Throughout his wrestling career, whether he was in the independent circuit, in NWA-TNA, in Ring of Honor, or in the WWE, his lifestyle and his natural leadership ability were his "gimmicks". I really hope guys like R-Truth, Christian, Michael Cole, and others are inspired by what CM Punk had to say. He may have been imitated *coughchikaracough* but he can never be duplicated.

I'm going to end this with something very symbolic. This one's for you, BroEl.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy1ZJQeUcs[/youtube]

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:50 am

Cena's act has gotten stale but ya know what? He makes Vince money, He makes him more money than the Rock ever did if ya discount the movies. In this PG era Cena is the perfect role model for the kids. He's family friendly and knows how to work the crowd. So yea, he's stale and vanilla and damn smart because he knows it and knows what he's doing. He's making Vince money and making himself invaluable. Can't fault him for making sure he has job security. I think though if we went back to the PG-13 rating for Raw they could actually make Cena relevant again. They could give him an edge and even if he stayed the poster child face for the company he could have some balls and attitude.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 am

Tonight's episode of Raw was damn good. For once, I actually enjoyed hearing what John Cena had to say. I think he may have been a little critical of the TV-PG direction and how the WWE were a little too gung-ho in keeping it that way recently. The confrontation with Cena and Mr. McMahon was great. Based on tonight's episode, it's possible that this could be the beginning of the end of the PG era in the WWE.

he wears those godawful jean shorts, I mean, who in the blue hell thinks that jean shorts are actually stylish? My God, he needs to appear on an episode of What Not to Wear.

edit: Speak of the devil, he even addressed that issue tonight, by saying that he "looks like the Kool-Aid man in jorts". :lol:

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:08 am

Wow, another good episode of Raw tonight. Who would have thought that WWE Ice Cream Bars would be a trending topic on Twitter? The last part of Raw was awesome. Whatever good points Cena made were basically nullified by Punk's better points when talking about the WWE.

Well, anyway, here's what I will think will happen at the upcoming Money in the Band pay per view. I have the most facepalming feeling that Rey Mysterio will win the Raw MitB match. Also, CM Punk WILL beat John Cena for the WWE Championship, but Mysterio will cash in his contract that night on Punk and become the new WWE Champion. On the Smackdown side, Sheamus will win the other ladder match, Christian will beat Randy Orton for the World Heavyweight Championship, and, Sheamus will also cash in his contract that night as well on Christian. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 am

I think both Cena and Punk made damn good points. I mean Vince has tossed away good wrestlers like Punk said. Read some of the books by former superstars (especially the Bret Hart one) and you can see Vince is like that. Then again Cena made a perfect point in regards to Punk. You claim to love the WWE "too much" but much like a certain someone else you plan to bail the next day? You plan to take the WWE title and run away with it. How would that be any better than the Rock really? Cena is a kiss ass some and he is bulky and stiff and not a great technical wrestler but as he said he shows up every day for work because he loves the people and his job. Much like Stone Cold. I think he was serious about what he said about Vince too. That looked like some real surprise on Vince's face and considering a lot of Punk's promos have been not been scripted it makes me wonder if Cena's wasn't either. Not fully anyways. Getting really hard to tell what is script and what isn't and that right there is great to me. It's making RAW interesting and keeping people on their toes. As Jim Ross said on his blog about CM's promo "This has shown you can be edgy and still PG as well."

Return to “Sports”