Official Wrestling Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Re: Official Wrestling Thread

Postby freezespell » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 am

Let's take a short break from all this intense talk about this Sunday's main event and have a few laughs from the late great Captain Lou Albano. This was from a TV special that aired on Fox way back in 1998.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLYzoJAsyck[/youtube]
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 am

So Cena lost which I figured would happen. Figured the MITB winner would cash it in immediately but not so. But holy shit Vince McMahon was just fired...and HHH is taking over! Wow. Honestly...been waiting for this ever since HHH stopped wrestling. Always figured he was the anonymous GM myself. Either HHH will bring the place back to its former glory or he'll suck up to the family.

Jesus....he's actually crying....I don't think this is scripted.....I really don't.....if it is man they are good. I really think though that was unscripted to a large degree.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:16 am

Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 pm

The way it looked to me is that the whole thing about Vince being "fired," that was scripted. But when Triple H made that announcement, it was basically Vince's storyline way of announcing that he was stepping down, and that's when they both started to get emotional before the crowd went from giving him the mocking "Goodbye" chant to chanting "Thank you Vince!!" Because they knew what was up.

Now my question is, did he make the decision to step down and give it to Tripple H because after C.M. Punk's recent rants over the last little while or so knock some sense into him that it was the best thing to do for the company or did C.M. Punk start going on his recent rants over the last little while or so as a reaction to Vince's decision to step down having been planned for some time now?

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 am

Can't believe what happened at the end of Raw tonight. The Champ is here, and I'm not talking about John Cena! The REAL Champ is here!

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 am

freezespell wrote:Can't believe what happened at the end of Raw tonight. The Champ is here, and I'm not talking about John Cena! The REAL Champ is here!

Hey now Cena is a REAL champ too. Corny or not he busts his ass day in and day out, and that match with Rey was one of his best in recent years. As was the one with Punk. Once he won he was waiting for Punk to come out as that just would have to happen. Sure enough out he came. The obvious thing that needs to happen is another match for a single unified WWE belt. Make it happen. Summer Slam baby. And suck on that Cole!!!!!!! So glad JR is back. Can't wait to see (gonna DVR and record Smackdown Friday) what HHH does this Friday on Smackdown.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Another week, another great episode of Raw. With all the buildup to the CM Punk-John Cena title match at Summerslam, there was something that I felt got overshadowed and that was the end of The Nexus. The article below sums up my feelings of how the group disbanded. I was a fan of the group since Day One and I figured they would get somewhat of a proper sendoff, but creative got lazy and decided to quietly end the once powerful entity. But I won't remember The Nexus for how they quietly ended, but for how loud their impact was at their peak and for making me interested in wrestling again. The Nexus was the first heel group that I had cheered for since the nWo and I was behind them through thick and thin. Needless to say, I will follow the careers of all of the Nexus alumni and I have a feeling that at least one of them will be a world champion someday, but it probably won't be Heath Slater because Cena basically made him a joke when he said that he looked like the chick from Wendy's, but it was a funny joke. :P

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/789313-wwe-rest-in-peace-nexus-june-1st-2010-august-1st-2011

The Nexus
June 7, 2010
August 1, 2011

"You're either Nexus or you're against us!"

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:25 pm

SummerSlam is tonight and there are several questions that have been formed in my twisted mind, among those being:

Who's going to come out on top when A WWE Champion John Cena takes on THE WWE Champion CM Punk?
Will Triple H be a factor in the outcome of the match?
How badly will Randy Orton slaughter Christian in their title match?
And why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 while hot dog buns come in packs of 8?

I guess we'll find out tonight, won't we?

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm going to call it now, there's going to be an LA screwjob tonight. I don't know who it's going to be on, but I got a feeling that it will happen.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 pm

We almost had a Second City Screwjob at Money in the Bank; I'm not really sure if they'll try something like that again this soon, but it could happen.

edit: With SummerSlam just about to get underway, I'm going to call something of my own, concerning the WWE Championship match. CM Punk is supposed to be the heel and John Cena is supposed to be the face here, but with Triple H as the referee in the match, I got two words for ya: double turn.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:52 pm

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/08/16/Media/UFC.aspx?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4e4aa05c4d9ee668,0

Awesome. I would definitely tune in to watch some more MMA on a major network, that is, if I can get around to watching it.

Soul Tsukino
Tech Staff

Postby Soul Tsukino » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 am

Watching a ton of old WCCW shows/events on youtube right now. Amazing stuff
The Sailor sun Fan fic Collective
http://www.soultsukino.info
Celebrating 10 years of the Series

Soul Tsukino
Tech Staff

Postby Soul Tsukino » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Well, they seem to have finally ended the brand split. Of course it feels more like they pulled the plug on a brain dead coma patient but still, it's all over.

Although kind of a joke and no one really bought the idea of Vince creating his own competition, at least the draft specials were fun.
The Sailor sun Fan fic Collective
http://www.soultsukino.info
Celebrating 10 years of the Series

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:29 am

Now I just wonder:

1) How long before they make cutbacks on their roster?

and

2) How long before they start unifying the titles?
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 am

As far as cutbacks on the roster in concerned, there will be cutbacks and the ones that will be affected will be the guys struggling to get exposure on Superstars, which doesn't even air on TV here in the States anymore. I project the mass releasing of wrestlers occuring sometime after WrestleMania next year.

As far as unifying championships are concerned, the only ones that really need to be unified are the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship. I think that both the Intercontinental and the United States championships can co-exist in a post-Brand Extension WWE. Wow, those are four words I never thought I would be using together. Anyway, getting back on topic, not only do I think those two championships can co-exist together, I think they may be on their way to bringing back another one. I honestly think that the Cruiserweight championship will be brought back and that I could easily see a new champion crowned as early as Survivor Series.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 pm

I say get rid of the US belt. Bring back the CRUISER WEIGHT BELT!!!!! That division is where the action always is. it's what made WCW a contender week after week. Sure the WWE's main event blew theirs away but their undercards ALWAYS kicked ass. Pump up that division and for God's sake make the women's division worth a shit again. Not just T&A week after week.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:33 am

I just had a random thought after having just watched one of the newest anti-bullying promos. Anybody find it ironic that Seamus, I mean, Seamus of all superstars was not only the face of that promo, but actually talked about sharing personal experiences with bullying with the kids? Oh the new things you can learn about the real personal lives of these guys...... Yeah, still getting used to him as a face, that's just a completely new one on me, heh heh.........

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:26 am

Came across an article about Big John Tenta. I remember reading the newspaper article in the Vancouver Province when he first signed up to try out professional sumo wrestling. He returned from Japan after a short while and ended up in US pro wrestling circles. He passed away a little more than 10 years ago.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:11 am

From what I have heard, Tenta was quite gentlemanly to the wider fan community. He certainly saw the humour in his ill-fated 'Shark' gimmick. This moment of individualism was perhaps his greatest on-microphone moment.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:40 am

^At least he didn't have the misfortune of being forever known as The Shockmaster like his old tag team partner.

Return to “Sports”