Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 am

Anyone here following the scores from the Confederations Cup? I'm not able to watch any of the games but I have been reading up on the tournament and watching the highlights. Right now the next game up is Spain vs Iraq. I'm expecting the Spanish to run rough over the Iraqis much like they did against the Kiwis. I watched the highlights of the Iraq-South Africa match and if what I saw is any indication of what the Iraqis can(not) do then I expect that most of the game will be played in their end.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:48 am

I am utterly shocked... Toronto FC pull off miracle, win Canadian Championship. TFC had to win by 4 goals to take the Canadian Championship away from Vancouver...and they pulled off a 6-1 win???!!!

To say the least this part horrifies me beyond belief...
cbc.ca wrote:The Whitecaps had the dubious privilege of watching their title hopes fade away in person, as they were in attendance at Saputo Stadium for a tilt against the Impact scheduled for Saturday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 1:30 p.m. ET). An announced crowd of 11,561 took in the affair on a rainy night in Montreal.

Impact coach Marc Dos Santos decided to field a team largely made up of subs for the clash with Toronto, as his team had already been eliminated from Canadian championship contention and is focusing on the big match against rivals Vancouver on the weekend.

But anyone expecting him to use that as an excuse after the game was sorely mistaken.

"Even if the game meant nothing to us, you have to honour your city, you have to honour your club," Dos Santos said. "We didn't do that tonight."

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 am

Sucks to read that.

On another note... Junior managed to get a tie against Deportivo Cali today, which turned us into finalists and candidates for the 1st championship this year. Man, do I HOPE we get the star this time!! It'll consolidate us as one of the greatest teams in Colombian history (even though we already are that)
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:05 am

To add insult to injury, the Whitecaps dropped their match against the Impact by a score of 2-1. We had two players suspended for infractions in a previous match so we were without a big striker and our assistant captain. Sucks big time...

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:46 am

Apparently USA beat Spain last night... which was totally unexpected. USA will play in its first ever final at a major international competition against Brazil (which just beat South Africa today). Should be interesting. I will be cheering on the USA - definitely won't be easy though.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 am

Well we have a chance...I mean we beat the #1 team when we beat Spain. I'm sure everyone everywhere is cringing now....us Ameriicanos are taking over futball now too hehehe.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:54 am

I still haven't recovered from my football shock (Toronto FC winning 6-1 over the Montreal Impact to steal the Canadian championship from my Whitecaps) from last week and then this happens. I guess we won't know for a while if this is a blip on the radar for US soccer or if it means they'll be able to do some damage in South Africa next year. Best of luck USA in the final (but I'm still hoping Brazil wins :P).

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm happy that the USA is in the final, even though I didn't think they would get out of the group round and though that Spain would kill them O ye, of little faith :(
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

Saki

Postby Saki » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:59 am

We'll have to wait and see.

Instead, Junior has to beat Once Caldas so we can be champs. 2-0 is a good score, but I want to see the whiteys turned to a pulp!
ImageImage

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:15 am

Toronto FC stink the joint out at Rio Tinto Field (sic) and lose 3-0 to Real Salt Lake. Really, really sloppy defensive end play costs TFC on the first goal they gave up. After that they accomplished nothing. If TFC crashes out of the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League I won't be shedding a tear for them.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:13 pm

d.yaro wrote:Best of luck USA in the final (but I'm still hoping Brazil wins :P).

I believe this World Cup statistic is accurate thus far:
In every championship held within Europe, a European team have won. In every other championship, a South American team have won. The hope you express in parentheses is supported by this.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Well it exactly wasn't a piece of cake for the Selacao... http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/FIFAconfederationscup/News/story/2009/06/28/sp-confed-final.html. They had to come back from a 2-0 deficit to win the game 3-2. I was out paddling so I didn't get to watch the match but I'll bet it must of been exciting (or heartbreaking if you were cheering for the USA side).

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:16 am

I'm heartbroken.

We lost both matches in the final. 2nd place hurts. :cry:
ImageImage

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:10 am

^ Ouch! That smarts! My condolences.

Truered

Postby Truered » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 pm

I watched almost all of the confederations cup...apart from when the final group matches were played at the same time :lol:

USA really came out of nowhere with the 3-0, and even though they were bombarded, it was nice to see Spain knocked down a peg- the England commentators had spent most of the tournament practically orgasming over how good they were and their unbeaten run :lol:
Image Image Image

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:06 am

Michael Owen's been a United player for about a day now :shock:

Didn't see that coming, but if it's a pay as you play contract it's good. Offers a threat from the bench, and having been looking at Stoke etc, will be glad to be at United even on the bench (unlike a certain Carlos). He might help Macheda and Welbeck, and will give them a year or two to develop, as opposed to being a long term player who takes their place.

Plus I doubt he dreams of playing for Real Madrid which is a bloody big plus :lol:
Image Image Image

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Right now, I'm watching some MLS on ESPN2 between the Houston Dynamo and Toronto FC. At this point, I've developed a curiosity for soccer but one of the things that I don't really understand is that why does the clock count forwards instead of backwards like in every other sport with a clock in it? Also, why doesn't the clock ever stop when there's a break in play or whenever the ball goes out of bounds or after a goal? Also why do some people and broadcasters have a tendency to call it a soccer "match" instead of a soccer "game"? IMO, it would make more sense to call it a soccer game instead of a match, but that's just me. :roll: From where it is in the game so far (23rd minute), it looks like a defensive battle since neither team has scored a goal yet.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm also watching said MLS game on ESPN2 and as of this writing it is a 1-1 tie. I'm also going to watch the game between Chelsea and Seattle Sounders FC.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:50 pm

@freezespell: About no clock stoppages in football/soccer: The referee can add extra time to the end of each half in lieu of time spent for stoppages in play on account of a player going down injured. Aside from that, it's 90 non-stop minutes to a game. Simple eh?

Saki

Postby Saki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:45 am

Yup. Besides, due to injury time, you can't really predict when a half in the match is going to end, hence the clock goes forward. it could be 45, 45, 47... I've heard of 51 minutes once!

And we call it matches because it's not tennis!
ImageImage

Return to “Sports”