Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
darksideoftheanime

Re: Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Postby darksideoftheanime » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:12 pm

I watched live as Mexico completely destroyed the Untied States in the second half of the Gold Cup finals 5-0 :o. That's a bad way to lose. I can only hope that they will do better the next time they face Mexico, which will be next month during World Cup qualifying.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 am

d.yaro wrote:@freezespell: About no clock stoppages in football/soccer: The referee can add extra time to the end of each half in lieu of time spent for stoppages in play on account of a player going down injured. Aside from that, it's 90 non-stop minutes to a game. Simple eh?

I'm just going to be on the assumption that somehow the referee knows how much time to add to a half whenever a player goes down or whenever he's giving an unruly player a red card and have to watch him throw some kind of temper tantrum, so that's all I'm going to dwell on that.

Saki wrote:And we call it matches because it's not tennis!

Now that just makes no sense at all, but I will give you the fact that the forward moving clock does bring an element of surprise when it gets to stoppage time. I just wish that we knew how much of it there was in any given half, but I guess if we did, that would take the suspense out of the whole thing, now wouldn't it? :lol:

One more question: Why do some of these games have to end in a tie? Haven't these rulemakers heard of overtime? Or at least have a shootout in the case of a tie at the end of regulation? A tie is not only like kissing your sister, but it can be a little anticlimactic, especially during a big game against two rival teams.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:39 am

^ In an elimination match it will to go to extra time (30 minutes - two halves of 15 minutes) and then, it it is still tied, to a shoot-out. There was a period in the past where sudden death overtime was played but that was removed by FIFA in favour of the current format. A round robin or group match can end in a tie (so no extra time or shoot-out there). Same for "friendlies" - exhibition matches. Thus in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship series, which is a round robin series, there was no extra time or shoot-outs. The final standings were determined by points and then goal differential.

nb: This reminds me of the Brazil vs Spain match I saw at the U-20 FIFA World Cup two years ago. Brazil was leading 2-0 at the end of the first half. Spain came back and tied it in the second half. Then Spain added two more goals in extra time as Brazil got a red card and were short a man. That was a really exciting match.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 am

Toronto FC drops their CONCACAF Champions League opener to Puerto Rico Islanders. They lost by only 1 goal so it's not like they're completely out of it. The Reds will have to play hard to win by 2 in Tuesday's match in Puerto Rico.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm

@d.yaro: I saw that the Vancouver Whitecaps will be facing the Rochester Rhinos tomorrow night. Looks like we're going to have a friendly little rivalry tomorrow :twisted: :lol:
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 pm

^ That's been going on for some time. Vancouver beat Rochester in the USL-1 championship back in 2006. :D Mind you, the Caps haven't been doing too well recently. I guess we'll see how it goes...

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:25 am

@ darkside: Looks like my side got the better half of the deal tonight. A 3-1 victory for the 'Caps over Rochester. http://www.whitecapsfc.com/men/schedule/2009_07_31_at_Rochester_Rhinos.aspx. We're in Bedford, Ohio to face the Cleveland City Stars on Saturday. Hopefully we can make it a three game winning streak. Last time we managed to salvage a 2-2 draw against that side.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:24 am

TFC gets red carded in the early going of the second half of their match against the New England Revolution. In the 76th minute the Revs tied the game. That's gotta smart because Toronto is clinging to a playoff spot ahead of New England. I'm getting a bit nervous about Toronto's next match which is the return leg of their preliminary round play in the CONCACAF Champions League against the Puerto Rico Islanders. TFC is having problems winning games as they haven't won one in the past two weeks.

In the meantime the Vancouver Whitecaps had to settle for a tie with the Cleveland City Stars. Not a good idea to give up points to bottom feeders.

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:12 am

Sweet revenge~! <3

Junior beat Once Caldas (the current champion) 4-2. Teo Gutiérrez scored a hattrick. It's our revenge for them beating us in our stadium and taking the title!
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 am

Toronto FC failed to score against the Puerto Rico Islanders in CONCACAF Champions League preliminary play and are thus knocked out of the tournament. The match actually was a 0-0 draw but TFC needed 2 goals to advance. Oh well. I've yet to actually watch, in person or on TV, TFC win a match. I watched them tie Vancouver last year, lose to the Whitecaps this year, lose to Real Salt Lake on a televised match this year and eventually lose to DC United 2 years ago. Man, I'm glad they're not my team.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm

What a riot! Burnley defeats Man U for the first time in 41 years. Some wag in the comments section wrote "Burnley's only win this season!"(sic). Ha! Ha! For the sake of their supporters lets hope it doesn't turn out that way.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 am

Photographs and video I took at the last Vancouver Whitecaps match I went to see when we took on the Rochester Rhinos. The game ended in a 1-1 draw. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8936205@N02/sets/72157622060459973/

Saki

Postby Saki » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Which reminds me...

Junior's been kicking backsides at home. Once Caldas got 4, and Cali and Chicó had 5 goals scored against them. Though... We've had 2 goals scored against us in each one of those matches.
ImageImage

Saki

Postby Saki » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Doublepost. W00T!

Colombia 2 - Ecuador 0.

There's still hope for us!!
ImageImage

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 am

Pics from Sunday afternoon's match between the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Austin Aztex. Come from behind 2-1 victory for the 'Caps!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8936205@N02/sets/72157622362734948/

@saki: Who knows...Maybe the Argentinians will mess up royally for you. Apparently they're not looking too hot these days.

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Nope. We're officially out.

Junior tied 2-2 with Santa Fe. And we were actually winning. It would've been awesome.
ImageImage

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:02 am

Okay. So what exactly is a "railhawk"? Anyways...Vancouver Whitecaps defeated the Carolina Railhawks by a score of 1-0 in the first leg of their two game playoff series. Next match is in Cary, NC, on Sunday evening.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Yeehaw!!! Whitecaps tie their match in Portland today with the final score being 3-3. We advance to the USL-1 Championship series on a 5-4 aggregate score victory. The two game final series starts this coming Saturday with a match in Burnaby (Yes, the "Vancouver" Whitecaps play in a stadium which is on the Burnaby side of Boundary Road that divides Vancouver from that city). And I don't have a film festival movie lined up for that night. We'll be facing the Montreal Impact whom we haven't beaten in league play this year but did beat twice in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship Series. This is going to be fun!

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 pm

We lost yesterday to the current leaders, DIM.

But there won't be local football this weekend. Colombia's playing against Chile and Paraguay. Only a miracle would chuck us into the World Cup.
ImageImage

Saki

Postby Saki » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Doublepost? Whazzat?

Colombia beat Turkey in the U-17 World Cup, and we're in the semifinals! We're one of the 4 best U-17 teams in the world!!!
ImageImage

Return to “Sports”