Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Official Football (Soccer) Thread

Postby d.yaro » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:09 pm

darksideoftheanime wrote:I wonder if it will be ok if I share my MLS allegiances between Portland and Orlando :lol: ?
As a Whitecaps fan, my answer is a resounding "YES!!!!". :lol: If at all possible, just switch to supporting Orlando. ;)

Going back to my comment in Facebook...while I do get my jollies poking fun at Toronto FC, I do feel a tad bit sorry for their fans. Seven years and not even a decent sniff at a playoff appearance. Just continued pressings of the <Reset> button.

Meanwhile, on this side of the lake, Montedio Yamagata has bowed out in the fourth round of the Emperor's Cup tournament with a 0-2 loss to J1 side Kawasaki Frontale. In the past they've rarely made it this far. As for promotion to J1 this year, it isn't going to happen. Montedio has 58 points with one match remaining and the last spot for the promotion playoff is held by Tokushima Vortis with 64 points. :(
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:23 am

d.yaro wrote:If at all possible, just switch to supporting Orlando. ;)

But how could turn my back on a fanbase that turned the Tetris theme into a soccer chant :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0OFRJkMKQ[/youtube]

d.yaro wrote:As for promotion to J1 this year, it isn't going to happen. Montedio has 58 points with one match remaining and the last spot for the promotion playoff is held by Tokushima Vortis with 64 points. :(

I glad that Gamba Osaka earned their promotion back to the first division (I started following them a few years ago. I like to see V-Varen Nagasaki make it to and out of the promotion playoffs. To go from the third tier league to first tier would be amazing.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:15 am

Well, in the midst of this lengthy World Cup break for the MLS I've had some time to jump on the local bandwagon and (finally?) become a Real Salt Lake supporter myself. And.... apparently I couldn't have picked a worse time to do so.... I mean, a five-game winless streak is one thing.... But their latest coming at the hands of an NASL team in the U.S. Open Cup!? :shock: I can understand if we're missing some of our biggest stars playing with their respective national teams and all, but come on, guys! I've heard RSL being considered one of the deepest, if not the deepest team in the league for one, and for another..... it's a flogging NASL team for chrissakes!!

Hopefully we can bounce back after the break this Saturday against Chivas USA though. From what I understand, that same NASL team is probably tougher to beat than Chivas. ;P

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:31 pm

^ I see...I checked and discovered that the nasty NASL team in question is the Atlanta Silverbacks. I also read that they managed to down the Colorado Rapid in the next round. They accomplished that in spite of being down 10 men to 8 men after a flurry of red cards following a brawl...that kind of stuff happens in soccer?

As for the World Cup, while I've gotten over the fact Spain were eliminated, the manner in which it happened still has me bewildered. Stuff happens, I guess. As for Japan...I had a number of students after that match who were very disappointed. But I had figured they didn't stand a chance of beating Colombia. Just my gut feel there.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:47 pm

d.yaro wrote:I also read that they managed to down the Colorado Rapid in the next round. They accomplished that in spite of being down 10 men to 8 men after a flurry of red cards following a brawl

I don't know much about what happened with that, but it almost sounds to me like that explains why they're ranked near the bottom of the NASL standings this year. All things considered, it really is outstanding that they've managed to make it as far as they have in the Open Cup.

...that kind of stuff happens in soccer?

Heh heh, fair enough. If there's one thing I've come to learn since becoming a Soccer fan, it's how much parity there seems to be globally in the sport - you really do never know what will happen when. It's also pretty understandable when you consider that, while the MLS has been exponentially growing in the U.S., it's still just that - growing. And naturally there's going to be a lot of parity between major and minor leagues that way. Someday when the MLS is fully expanded and flourishing though, I do hope we can still keep that parity with the minor league teams though. Hopefully the NASL and USL Pro leagues continue to grow and flourish as well. We certainly could use the representation in the CONCACAF Champions League, that's for sure.

Any way you look at it though, it's still pretty disheartening for a team that finished as runners up to the MLS Cup last season to be on a five game winless streak like that, especially with one of them to an NASL team. RSL is one of the top clubs in MLS - there's really no excuse for that poor quality of play.

As for Japan...I had a number of students after that match who were very disappointed. But I had figured they didn't stand a chance of beating Colombia. Just my gut feel there.

I wouldn't have expected them to beat Colombia either, but I was sorely disappointed in their level of play against Greece and CIV. Those were both games they could have easily won, and missed far too many opportunities to do so.

........Man, I must sound like a real Cynic right now, huh? Um.... how 'bout them Yanks making it out of the group of death? :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:27 pm

BrothersElric wrote:Um.... how 'bout them Yanks making it out of the group of death? :D
That's another feelgood item for me from this World Cup tournament. Both Mexico and the USA made it past the group stage and into the round of 16. Both were eliminated at that stage but I don't suppose they were ashamed of themselves.

...now if only my local J2 side could crawl a bit further up the table. As for my hometown Whitecaps...we defeated MLS top dogs Seattle. That made me smile.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:40 pm

Went to watch Montedio Yamagata play their season finale against Tokyo Verdy. It was a bit of a stinker. Tokyo notched a goal to break a 1-1 tie at the 87 minute mark.

Nonetheless, Montedio will be competing in the mini tournament to decide the third J2 League team to win promotion to J1 League. Teams in 3rd to 6th place participate. In order of finish they are: JEF United Chiba, Jublio Iwata, Kita-Kyushu Giravanz and Montedio. But I suspect Kita-Kyushu doesn't meet qualifications to earn J1 promotion. Thus I saw that JEF United Chiba will await the winner of a playoff match between Jublio Iwata and Montedio on a J2 League Wiki page.

In the meantime, this coming Wednesday, Montedio will visit JEF United Chiba to play them in a semi-final match in the Emperor's Cup tournament. The winner goes to the New Year's Day final match.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:17 am

While we're on the subject of Japanese football, can someone explain what on earth happened to Cerezo Osaka? How to you go from being fourth in the league one year to getting relegated to the second division the next time :shock: ?
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:25 am

Apparently I have horrible luck at becoming a fan at the worst possible time for a club. I really latched on to Leicster City back when they trounced Manchester United back in September, and they have yet to win a game since. XD

Was kind of hoping to see the New England Revolution finally win their first MLS Cup today after how many times they've been there and lost, but I'm also happy to see Landon Donovan go out the way he deserves. Plus that and an LA win means another shot at the CONCACAF Champions League title for RSL! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:32 am

darksideoftheanime wrote:While we're on the subject of Japanese football, can someone explain what on earth happened to Cerezo Osaka? How to you go from being fourth in the league one year to getting relegated to the second division the next time :shock: ?
Heck if I know. Considering that they had Diego Forlan on their roster, the result is more unexpected. I looked at the results of their last five league matches (0-3-2) and I'd hazard to say they had a complete meltdown. They ended up five points below 15th place after scratching out only 2 points in those last five matches.

As for the LA Galaxy, yes, I too am happy for Landon Donovan. I'm glad to see he went out on top as a champion. Yes, the New England Revolution are once again bridesmaids and that stinks too but sorry, someone had to lose that match eh.

Over here, Montedio Yamagata managed to stay hot and win promotion back to J1 with a 1-0 win over JEF United Chiba. They did it with their top scorer Diego sidelined with an injury. He was on the roster but didn't take to the field. It'll be interesting to see who they pick up in the off-season in order to bulk up their roster next year.

As for the Emperor's Cup: This year the final has been moved up to Dec 13th. I don't remember but I think the Asia Cup Final is being played in Japan starting around New Year's. Nonetheless, Montedio will have to pray for a miracle to have any chance of winning. They're up against 2014 J1 League champions Gamba Osaka. Someone remarked that Montedio have a reputation for punching way above their level but this is a little extreme.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Was expecting to see an extra 30 minutes in yesterday's semifinal match between Japan and England...and then it all went off the track in the last minute. Sad to see a good team lose on an own goal.

Going forward...there's going to be a lot of American fans in town over this weekend. Since the final match has been sold out for some time there's no telling what percentage of the fans in the stadium will be from the USA. It will be interesting...I've got my ticket and I'll be there in a blue jersey. ;) :)

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:17 pm

We did it! We avenged our loss from 4 years ago in totally dominating fashion by beating Japan 5-2 in the Women's World Cup finals yesterday. Now that's a birthday present the United States can be proud of! :D
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:32 am

I was at the match. Those kids from California in the row behind me were freaking LOUD when the first US goal went in. Their shrieking had to be clear over 100 decibels. :shock:

I also watched the Japan vs Netherlands Round of 16 match and the Canada vs England quarterfinal match. Was saddened to see Canada lose but we cheered them on to the bitter end. They did us proud (taking into consideration Canada was dead last in the previous Women's World Cup).

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:12 am

Well, 8 matches in and my local team, Montedio Yamagata, are dead last in the table. If they don't start looking alive soon then heads better start rolling. Some locals are starting to joke about relegation to J3. That's not funny. We were in J1 last year.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Both my teams won over the weekend. The Whitecaps snapped a three match goal drought and came out on top of Dallas FC...who haven't done much losing this season. On the other hand, Montedio Yamagata finally won a match. I went to their last home match last weekend. It was interrupted by a lightning storm. Fans were advised to head under the stands after a big lightning bolt lit up the western sky. The sight of that monster had the ref clearing the field quite quickly and once word of the decision got up to stadium staff, we were all heading for cover. The storm blew over in about 15 minutes. Match was restarted after a half hour interruption.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Tomorrow... Leicester City has the chance to win their first Premier League title in the club's 130+ year history. After being 5,000:1 odds to win this season, all they have to do is beat Manchester United tomorrow to take their first top flight title.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun May 01, 2016 7:06 pm

It looks like the Foxes are going to have to wait until at least tomorrow to clinch that Premier League title since they tied Man U. If Tottenham Hotspur come up short against Chelsea, then Leicester City will be the top team in the top flight.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Mon May 02, 2016 12:36 am

One upshot of recent events is that an unprecedented number of international viewers can now pronounce 'Leicester' correctly.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 am

^ Especially in Thailand! http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/leicester-city-bangkok-temple-revered-fans-1.3563871

Well it's official now. They've won the Premier League. Incredible.... :nana

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sat May 07, 2016 5:30 pm

And Leicester City just kicked off their final game of the season against Everton.

Leicester City just hoisted up their Premier League trophy. Maybe we'll see a team like Burnley or Crystal Palace win next year? Probably not likely, but if Leicester City can do it, it looks like anybody can.

Return to “Sports”