Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2015

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2015

Postby d.yaro » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:53 am

Going off on a slight tangent...the period I had some interest in F-1 racing was when Jacques Villeneuve was fighting for the title. Here's a story about something he has had some recent involvement in: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/paving-begins-on-villeneuve-racetrack-1.3725733
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:05 pm

The Track is going to be expensive to run on. It will be similar to the new track on Vancouver Island.

http://islandmotorsportcircuit.com/the-tracks/

Racing is a rich person's sport.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 am

....and in a surprise twist, after Mercedes Benz won the F1 constructors Championship....no surprise there, Nico Rosberg won the drivers' title (a bit of a surprise, though it looked suspicious because Lewis Hamilton's car kept breaking down throughout the season), Rosberg announced his retirement from Formula 1 right after receiving the trophy.

In 2016, it seemed obvious the only reason some of the races looked close or that Red Bull won 1 race and Ferrari didn't win any was because Mercedes had their engines turned down and their chassis self sabotaged only to make the races look close than they really were not.

The 2017 F1 season might turn out to be interesting as there are some (only a few) significant car design rules changes that might bring Mercedes dominance to an end. But then, it might not.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:30 pm

^ The phrase that comes to mind with your last paragraph is "Same, same...but different".

There is virtually no interest in auto-racing amongst the people I know up here. I sort of doubt that there are car clubs at all in Yamagata. Just a handful of enthusiasts here and there I suppose.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Return to “Sports”