Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2015

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
beken

Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2015

Postby beken » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Not much to report this year as not a lot has changed over last year. That means Mercedes pretty well has the championship after the first race of the season. They are clearly the fastest cars in the field. The top 3 teams the Mercedes engined teams unless Ferrari or Renault ... or Honda pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

beken

Re: Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2015

Postby beken » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Now that we are at the halfway break of the 2015 Formula One year here is the summary:

1) Clearly Mercedes has the fastest car. After the two Mercedes cars nearly lapping the 3rd place car (Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari), Mercedes has performance to spare.
2) Ferrari has surprised as the most improved and Sebastien Vettel has won 2 races. Otherwise, he has followed the Mercedes to the podium in all races except one.
3) Lewis Hamilton looks to have the drivers championship locked up, except for the few times it seemed the team let Nico Rossberg get ahead a few. It seems Mercedes is sandbagging a bit in order to make it look like there is drama and competition.
4) Honda with their new engine has joined in bit of a disappointment. Their car is more than 2 seconds behind in a qualifying lap and clearly not able to keep up with the top teams. However, they still seem to be able to stay ahead of the Marussia's.
5) Redbull with their Renault engine appears to have lost a step and fallen back the field. However, in the last race before the midway break, they clearly recovered some of their performance and came in 2nd and 3rd. This in a race where Ferrari had some reliability issues with Kimi Raikenen's car, and Sebastien Vettel went on to win the race. Mercedes in some strategy errors fell back in the pack. I'm still thinking Mercedes is trying to make the season look interesting for the fans. They have over a 100 point lead in the constructors championship.

It's been a pretty predictable season so far. Let's see what the second half brings.

A couple of thoughts, with Sebastien Vettel jumping over to Ferrari and seeing as RedBull have dropped off a bit, it appears a lot of the car development is by the driver giving feedback to the engineers. A lot was made about how Daniel Ricciardo was faster than Vettel last year, having won two races to none for Vettel. I suspect Ricciardo did a great job driving a car designed for Vettel but probably is not as good at giving feedback on how to make a car go faster for himself. At Ferrari, though the car for 2015 is a big improvement of the 2014 car, as shown by the better times from Kimi Raikannon, it appears it is Vettel who seems to be able to extract a bit more and also to give feedback on how to improve the car for the next race. My second thought is, in order to "safe costs" F1 has severely limited the amount of testing a team can do for the cars. That means, you make a design change to try and improve the car, but the only place you can test it is during a race. I guess it does save cost, but it also makes for any updates to a car being a lottery.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 am

beken wrote:My second thought is, in order to "safe costs" F1 has severely limited the amount of testing a team can do for the cars. That means, you make a design change to try and improve the car, but the only place you can test it is during a race. I guess it does save cost, but it also makes for any updates to a car being a lottery.
I suppose this means that Mercedes will be doing the least amount of tinkering. I'm not ruling out them testing any changes but if they're that comfortably ahead then the risk of making a mess of things doesn't seem necessary. Just my casual two bits.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 pm

d.yaro wrote:I suppose this means that Mercedes will be doing the least amount of tinkering. I'm not ruling out them testing any changes but if they're that comfortably ahead then the risk of making a mess of things doesn't seem necessary. Just my casual two bits.

Actually, that is true. Mercedes has spent the least of their engine tokens so far this season. That was another rule. Each team is allocated a certain number of tokens that they need to "spend" if they make any modifications to the drivetrain of their car.

Also if you have more than 5 engine changes in a year, you are penalized 10 grid spots at the start of the next grandprix. The same goes with other limited changes allowed. Which lead us to the ludicrous situation of Honda/Mclaren having been penalized 55 grid positions in a race where there are 20 cars. And Honda starting near the back anyways.

So the most recent race in Belgium started with the top 8 positions taken by Mercedes Powered cars. The race was won by Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes with 2 second lead over his teammate but a 39 second margin over the third place car, the Lotus (Mercedes engine) driven by Romain Grosjean

Sebastian Vettel had driven a brilliant race qualifying in 9th, but running in 3rd place until he had a tire blowout in the last lap of the race.
Some finger pointing between Ferrari and Pirelli as Pirelli says their tires were safe and that Vettel had worn the tires out with a daring one-stop strategy in this race. Ferrari saying Pirelli, including their onsite engineer, had told them the tire was good for 40 laps and not once saying the tires were wearing faster than anticipated at 27 laps when the right rear tire blew. As the right rear tire of Nico Rossberg's Mercedes also blew out during practice a few days ago, this once again brings into question the reliability of Pirelli tires, a similar situation 4 years ago which almost saw the cancellation of a few races due to 6 cars having tire failures in one race.

Anyways, other than the tire blowout, the results are the same.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:18 pm

The Italian Grand Prix at Monza last week was a telling state of how this season has been.

The usual suspects finished on the podium with the exception of Nico Rosberg, who's engine blew up trying to catch the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel for second. But intriquing thing about this race was a rule change that took effect because of the tire failures from the previous race. The FIA had imposed a new rule that tires could not start the race below a tire pressure of 19.5 PSI.

A surprise at qualifying had the Ferrari s splitting the two Mercedes. It was announced that the Mercedes had updated engines. Rosberg's new mercedes engine failed so he reverted back to his previous engine which had already run 5 races. At the start, Raikkonen stalled his Ferrari and relegated himself to last place. Monza is a high speed circuit so the Mercedes engined cars have an advantage on this circuit. Vettel managed to keep within 5 seconds of Hamilton's Mercedes. With about 10 laps to go, Mercedes was informed by the FIA that they had started the race with both their cars where one of the tires was below the minimum tire pressure. In anticipating a possible time penalty, they told both their drivers to pull a gap. No hold barred. Rosberg's engine was turned up and when he got within 1.5 seconds of Vettel's Ferrari, his engine blew up. In that last 10 laps, Hamilton increased his lead over the Ferrari from about 6 seconds to 25 seconds at the end of the race.

It just shows how much an advantage the Mercedes really has over the rest of the field. Other Mercedes engined cars included. Mercedes has been sandbagging the last 7 or 8 races just to keep the fans interested.

The other thing, why did the FIA not inform the other teams that Mercedes was not in compliance of the newly imposed rule ? and in the end, no penalty was assessed.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 pm

In the Singapore race, Mercedes showed a lapse in judgement as their cars were unable to work properly with the Pirelli Supersoft tires in the extreme heat of Singapore. Ferrari's cars seemed to have a much better developed cooling system and in hot climates, such as they demonstrated earlier in the year at Malaysia, the car performs very well and Vettel's Ferrari won the race. Followed by the Redbull of Daniel Ricciardo. The finishing order was Ferrari, RedBull, Ferrari, RedBull. Followed by Nico Rossberg's Mercedes. Hamilton retired his car near the end as something fell off his car causing a vaccuum leak to the turbocharger system on his car. This was very uncharacteristic of the Mercedes juggernaut.

In a show of class at the Ferrari celebration party after the race...

http://wtf1.co.uk/vettel-kimi-ferrari-singapore-celebration/

Meanwhile a week later at Suzuka, everything returned to "normal". Mercedes showed superior pace to finish 1-2, followed by Ferrari in 3-4, followed by Williams (Mercede engines) 4-5. The real racing appeared to be at the bottom outside of the points as McLaren-Honda had trouble keeping up with the bottom teams.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 am

I admittedly haven't paid any attention to F1 since the days beken and I talked about back in the late 1990s. Stuck my nose into the Wiki page to get a bit caught up on things. One thing led to another and I found myself looking at the list of Formula E drivers. Got there by following Jacques Villeneuve's trail...and lo and behold but who should I find on the 2014-15 season's list of drivers...none other than Takuma Sato.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 pm

I don't think Formula E is going to fly. The cars are slower and because they use narrow tires, they don't handle as well. Secondly, they don't refuel in these races. When the batteries run low, they .... change cars. They pull their cars into the garage, jump out and jump into another car. Thirdly, the circuits look to be in most of the same locations as their Formula 1 tracks, but they are very shortened versions of the track.

Example, Monaco. Where the cars don't actually go up the hill after turn one. They take a detour down a side street and come out at the end of the tunnel. They don't actually go through the tunnel.

I think after F1, the next state of the art racing happens in Endurance racing such as Le Mans.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Read about Lewis Hamilton winning the season on the CBC Sports mobile website...but the story is no where to be seen now. Nonetheless it sounded like an interesting situation thanks to the weather. Qualifying was delayed until Sunday morning. Hamilton supposedly said he'd be "cautious"...but that didn't mean he'd wouldn't gun for the title if he could get up.

The CBC story mentioned that Rosberg threw the 2nd place cap pretty well straight into Hamilton's face when Hamilton tossed it to him. No mention on the the other story I checked out.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm

The race was not broadcast on regular cable in North America. You had to have a cable plan that had TSN5 so I didn't get to watch it. Apparently, football, golf, and general sports news outranks Formula 1 auto racing in North America. Come to think of it, even poker out ranks F1 racing.

In anycase, Rosberg went wide in lap 8 and allowed Hamilton to pass. If there was one more lap in the race, Vettel might have passed Rosberg also to prolong the championship. Vettel was going much faster than Rosberg at the end of the race.

Congrats to Hamilton and Mercedes for a spectacular season.

I think Rosberg acted like a sore loser and the media played it as he made a mistake with 8 laps to go. I suspect there were team orders to let Hamilton through. Rosberg was probably miffed with himself either for making the mistake or being told to "move over".

But the final podium steps were occupied by the same people for pretty much the entire season. 3 races to go with the champion crowned. 2nd and 3rd are still to be determined as well as the rest of the field from 4th to 18th. Pretty sure Manor Racing (formerly Marussia) own the bottom two positions.

One more year of the current engine formula. They are voting to abolish the rule that engines cannot be upgraded after the 2nd race of the year. This year, the other ridiculous rule was grid space penalties if you use more than 4 engines in the course of the entire season. This saw McLaren given 32 place (of 20 cars) grid penalty in the previous race. In this race, Ferrari used this race test some engine upgrades in preparation for next year. Sebatian Vettal qualified 4th, but started the race in 14th position. So quite a fine drive for him to make it up to the podium at the end of the race. Raikkonen started in in 16th.

The current engine formula ends after the 2016 season (next year) so we might see Mercedes run away with one more championship. Red Bull needs to secure an engine deal for 2016 or they may not make the grid. The bankrupt Lotus needs a serious cash infusion in order to make it to the end of the current season. 2016 will see Haas Racing (US based team) join the Formula 1 grid.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:39 am

I don't think there will be a 2016 thread this year unless there somebody asks for it.
Three races into the 2016 season, Mercedes has won three. It's like they are sandbagging. Slowing down just to make the "show more exciting to watch".

Oh well....

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:40 pm

I should mention that snail racing exists as a sport. Judging by contemporary descriptions, it appears to be more exciting than Formula One. As an added bonus, there is less of an influence from sponsors and large corporations!

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sun May 01, 2016 8:20 am

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Methinks the snail in lane 13 is refusing to start on account of the extra sticker on its shell. ;)

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Sun May 01, 2016 2:46 pm

^Not to mention the politics seem to be nonexistent in snail racing as well.

Anyway, the Russian GP is being aired on tape delay later on today. Apparently, a scheduling conflict with a Premier League match and football won out. I'll also have to miss the first half of it due to the NASCAR race (Talladega). Hopefully I don't come across any spoilers prior to watching.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 am

d.yaro wrote:^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Methinks the snail in lane 13 is refusing to start on account of the extra sticker on its shell. ;)

Just its luck!

beken

Postby beken » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 pm

d.yaro wrote:^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Methinks the snail in lane 13 is refusing to start on account of the extra sticker on its shell. ;)

Sounds like an F1 racer, if you ask me. The additional sticker can be seen as a performance advantage (additional downforce) but costs in terms of reliability. Pretty sure the other snails will see it as a form of cheating and get #13 banned or given a 10 place grid penalty.

Speaking of F1, 4 races in, it appears the season is over. Mercedes has won all four races so far and both cars on the podium every race with one Ferrari all four races. The pecking order seems pretty well established.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed May 04, 2016 8:59 am

^ Well, that certainly doesn't sound like an exciting situation. Snooze city eh?

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:40 am

Canadian Grand Prix was won by Lewis Hamilton...leaving him 9 points off the tail of Nico Rosberg. Didn't watch the race but the write up was somewhat interesting. Not sure how Hamilton stayed focused on the win whilst thinking about Muhammad Ali with fifteen laps to go though...

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Is 'rope-a-dope' a viable strategy in motorsports, perhaps?

beken

Postby beken » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:03 pm

I think Mercedes is sand bagging. Going slower than what they are capable of just so the races look exciting. Given that Rossberg pulled out a 28 second lead after about 5 laps....with his engine set on the "wrong" mode in the first lap at the European GP at Baku. Whereas the other Mercedes had his engine in the wrong mode until 2 laps from the end and still managed to pull off a 5th place finish after going slow for 12 laps to fiddle with the switches to see what was wrong.

Return to “Sports”