Unofficial Formula 1 thread (2014)

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
beken

Unofficial Formula 1 thread (2014)

Postby beken » Thu May 22, 2014 8:31 am

In case you wonder why it's been so quiet, I had predicted that all the other manufacturers gave up and started work on their 2014 cars after the halfway point of the 2013 season leaving RedBull, Ferrari and Lotus to finish the season with some semblance of looking like they were still racing.

2014 offers some significant differences from 2013 cars. For one, the engines are V6, turbocharged and hybrid. Secondly, blown exhaust diffusers have been banned. Thirdly, downforce has been reduced with some fairly strict restrictions on what a wing can look like. And discovered in the first race of the season, there was a restriction on fuel flow to a car that was monitored by the FIA. The monitoring sensors are susceptible to tempurature changes so having it mounted too close to the turbochargers or exhaust would cause a wrong reading of a higher than actual fuel flow. Red Bull found that out when they were disqualified from the race because the sensor claimed they had exceed the allowed fuel flow, even though they actually consumed less fuel than other cars.

In off season development and testing, it became obvious that the Renault powered cars were going to have problems. None of the Renault powered teams made it through any test sessions before the season started. AS it turns out, the Mercedes engines has a clear 100 hp advantage over the Ferrari engine and even more over the Renault engines. 5 races in, Mercedes has finished 1-2 in every race so far.

another issue is the V6 engines are quiet and rev limited to 15000 rpm. They've taken the noise out of the race and many fans are complaining they've regulated the sport to death.

Still, most are relieved the Red Bull dominance is over. But are weary that they've handed the championship to Mercedes already.

TsunaReborn!

Re: Unofficial Formula 1 thread (2014)

Postby TsunaReborn! » Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am

I'm in love with you for starting this - I was going to have a hunt around and see if one had already been started when I had finished work.

Mercedes have this season in the bag and I hope it goes to Rosburg but my guess Hamilton will get it... I can't stand Hamilton :roll:

Looks like lotus have upped their game but I think it's too late for anyone to take down Mercedes. I hated the thought of the double points at the end of the season but hopefully it will keep the championship open until the end of the season; even if it's just between Hamilton and Rosburg.

beken

Postby beken » Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 am

I just watched the recording of the Monaco Grand Prix. Nothing much to see here. Once again, Mercedes ran away with it. Rossberg won the race and Hamilton complaining about the pit strategy that could have had him leapfrog his team mate into the lead during a yellow flag period just before the midway point of the race.

Vettel continues to drive Webber's car from last year as his car gave up during the third lap of the race while in third and looking like he might finally have enough to chase down the Mercedes. Clearly during the race, he was faster than his team mate for 3 laps and then the turbo charger on his engine gave up. Could it be he overcooked the turbo early at the start to get in front of Ricciardo? Ricciardo drove a solid race and came in third after Raikkonen gave up the third position and relegated himself to the back of the grid for a second pit stop.

So far the pecking order of the cars capabilities are Mercedes way in front, Red Bull making slow but steady progress in catching up and Ferrari not far behind. Then it gets interesting. Force India and McLaren are fairly close followed by perhaps Williams, Lotus and Toro Rosso. Lotus being so far back is a bit of a surprise after last year's performance. Sauber is also a surprise back marker this year along with the perennials of Marussia and Caterham.

TsunaReborn!

Postby TsunaReborn! » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Fantastic job by Bianchi and the Marussia managing to score the teams first set of points. This has guaranteed them 10th in the constructors as it is unlikely there will be that many retirements in the races to come. Let's see if Sauber can pull their thumb out in the remaining races!

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:12 pm

I haven't been able to keep up with the season so far, but one storyline that I have been paying attention to is the upcoming American F1 team that will take to the grid in 2016. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner Gene Haas is starting his own F1 team and there's some speculation that Danica Patrick could be one of the drivers for the team, but that's not really likely to happen.

Oh yeah, also, Michael Schumacher is out of his coma now. That's good to hear. :D
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:42 am

So she might get back to racing and not just sucking and being a celebrity whore?

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 pm

The British GP for 2014 is in the books. Another Mercedes runaway as Lewis Hamilton won by over 30 seconds while driving at "1/2" speed to preserve his gearbox. Nico Rosberg, his teammate did not fare so well as his gearbox gave out 2/3 of the way through the race. Valtteri Bottas in a Williams came in 2nd, also using a Mercedes motor. Daniel Ricciardo in the Redbull came in 3rd. Daniel is turning out to be a very consistent and fast driver beating out his 4 time champion regularly the the same car. Albeit, Sebastian Vettel's car has been wrought with unreliability. Jensen Button in the McLaren, also with a Mercedes motor came in 4th. 5th and 6th got interesting as Fernando Alonso in the Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel had a good battle with Vettel hounding the Ferrari into submission. Once past the Ferrari, it was clear the Redbull was a faster car as Vettel pulled away. Having said that, the Renault engine is probably the least powerful of the three engines in F1 this year. The Mercedes engine simply pulls away from everybody in the straights with the Redbull making up some of the loss in the combination turns. But so far, most of the tracks have been the newer "safer" tracks with more long straights and geared more for power dependent cars. The Ferrari engine appears to be more powerful than the Renault as the Ferrari cars seem to have a slight advantage over the Renault engined cars in the straights but the Redbull is able to make up the differential in the turns. The Ferrari car seems absolutely attrocious in hits handling as shown by Kimi Raikannon's crash in Lap 2. Give Alonso credit for being able to extract the most out of the Ferrari and manage a 6th place finish.

The engine formulas are locked in for the season. So you might as well hand Mercedes the championship trophy now.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm

I skipped a race in there somewhere. Oh yes...the German GP won by Rosberg, a German in a Mercedes.
It was a bit of a runaway.

But the GP of Hungary, with a bit of rain saw Daniel Ricciardo win in a decidedly underpowered Redbull. Sebastian Vettel in a Red Bull made an error and recovered to 7th, but luck, skill, whatever, saw him spin his car off the track and back on and barely miss hitting the wall. Ricciardo is a star in the making. His pass on both Hamilton and then Alonso was brave and very well taken. Ferrari finally made the podium, coming in second.

Lots of good racing throughout the pack through the whole race. Even Kimi had a return to form. The race was the most exciting one yet this year.

Rain or the threat of rain is the great equalizer.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:32 am

Going off on a tangent here...spotted an article about the first Formula E race held in Beijing recently. Watched the news clip too. It's quite neat watching the electric racing cars zip around. And there are some big names associated with the race too. More here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/formula-e-racing-is-in-infancy-but-will-drive-broader-innovation-1.2765394
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 pm

d.yaro wrote:Going off on a tangent here...spotted an article about the first Formula E race held in Beijing recently. Watched the news clip too. It's quite neat watching the electric racing cars zip around. And there are some big names associated with the race too. More here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/formula-e-racing-is-in-infancy-but-will-drive-broader-innovation-1.2765394

yes...there is the Formula-E series. Electric cars. A city like Beijing really does need to find a way to get away from internal combustion cars.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:12 am

Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes won in Singapore and it looked like he drove slow to make the show more exciting. He finished with a 13.5 second lead over Sebastian Vettel and if Vettel could go faster, it was likely the Mercedes had speed to spare if needed. The other Mercedes had an electrical issue right at the beginning of the race which saw Rosberg not even make it to the warm up lap at the beginning of the race. It proved crucial as it allowed Vettel open space to pass his teammate to take second at the first corner.

At the end, it was Vettel, Ricciardo and Alonso in the Ferrari to round out the top 4. It was probably possible for the Ferrari to have taken 2nd place as it had the freshest tires, but I think everybody was feeling sorry for Vettel, last year's champion having all sorts of issues with his car. It could also be that those three were evenly matched and all three were running into tire trouble near the end of the race.

This year's version of F1 racing has certainly been interesting. The tinkering of the FIA rules, of locking in the engine formula for the entire season with 2 sessions of testing only, has pretty well determined the standings in the season after the first race of the year. As it turns out, you are not allowed to develop the engine during the course of the year. Mercedes basically gave up the title chase at the halfway point of last year to start work on the new engine and that extra 5 months of development certainly shows. It is estimated the Mercedes engine has over 100hp over the Ferrari or the Renault engines. Also, since these are hybrids, we have seen very much that reliability and drivability of the cars are an issue.

I'm thinking it would be interesting if Daniel Ricciardo in the Red Bull or even Sebastian Vettel can stay close enough to the two Mercedes in points at the last race where points are double (again FIA tampering with the system) to snatch a championship away from the two obviously faster Mercedes cars.

Next up, Japan.

beken

Postby beken » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:41 am

Well, that was interesting. Just before qualifying for the Japan GP, Vettel announces that he will be leaving Red Bull after the 2014 season and joining Ferrari. Right away, Red Bull says good bye, that was fun and brings on more of their young drivers coming up the pipeline. Alonso appears to be headed for McLaren who will get a brand new Honda motor next year.

I just finished watching qualifying and Vettel came in 9th.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:29 am

Well, they actually managed to complete the Japan Grand Prix in spite of the approaching typhoon. Mind you it was shortened. Sad to hear of the collision that sent a French driver to the hospital with critical head injuries.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:53 am

Actually, they didn't complete the Japanese GP. They red flagged it after the crash of Jules Bianchi. He crashed into a crane which was on the track removing another car that had crashed. It's been a week and Bianchi is still in a coma in hospital. Somehow the results of the race didn't mean much.

The Russian GP ran today. A brand new track and a fairly boring race. Lots of long straights in the Sochi circuit so that meant the Mercedes powered cars had the advantage. The top 5 finishers were Mercedes engined cars. Mercedes (the team) clinched the constructors championship with 4 races to go in the season.

Lewis Hamilton won the race and barring any reliability issues, he should win the championship. He has shown to be quicker than his teammate overall, and makes fewer errors.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:02 am

The Brazilian GP ended with 6 Mercedes engined cars taking the top 6 positions. No wait, Sebastian Vettel's Renault powered Red Bull came in 5th. Followed by the Ferrari engined cars and then the rest of the Renault cars. The other Red Bull car DNF'd due to a suspension failure.

The 2014 Formula 1 season is so over with 2 races to go. Even without the double points gimmick of the final race, Mercedes has won the championship with cars that are at least 70 hp more than the Ferrari engine and about 100 more than the Renault engines. Honda will be entering an engine with McLaren, but the engine design has been frozen to "save cost" so the current rules are a crap shot. You design an engine. You are allowed to test it once. Then your design is frozen. No changes for the rest of the season. If you blow up more than 5 engines during the course of the season, you face fines and grid penalties.

So in reality, the 2014 season standings were pretty well determined after the first race. The only surprise, if there is one, is that the Red Bulls did so well, but that is more of a credit to the car design. The drivers are pretty good too.

Seeing as television coverage in Canada for the formula 1 races have been intermittent where my PVR programmed to record the races got pre-empted by Football games, tennis tournaments, "Classic hockey", and other sports, there isn't much for me to watch. So if somebody else wants to commentate the final two races, go for it.

Return to “Sports”