Official Formula 1 thread (2013 season)

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Official Formula 1 thread (2013 season)

Postby freezespell » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 am

Well, I figure I'd beat beken to the punch here and start a F1 thread for this season. There are quite a few storylines going into this season, which started this weekend:

Can Sebastian Vettel win 4 world championships in a row? He is the 3-time defending driver's champion, and Infiniti Red Bull Racing are also the 3-time defending constructor's champion. They are clearly the team to beat this season, but Ferrari has a much better car this year than last year's F2012. I believe that the driver's championship will come down to Vettel, Alonso, and maybe 1 other driver by the time we get to Sao Paulo, but the constructor's championship will be a little more competitive.

Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes: In the offseason, Lewis Hamilton left the only team he had ever driven for in his entire racing career. McLaren International had been with him ever since his karting days, his time in Formula Renault, British Formula Three, his GP2 campaign, and eventually to Formula 1 in 2007, and when he edged out Felipe Massa by 1 point to win the 2008 world championship. Based on what I've seen in the free practice sessions, I think that Hamilton will do well in his first year at Mercedes. I don't expect him to be a world championship contender this year, but he will be in the future.

Will the remaining backmarker teams score a point this season? Last season we had 3 backmarker teams on the grid. This season we only have 2. Marussia edged out Caterham for that 10th place spot in the Constructor's championship last year and in Q1 yesterday, both Marussias out qualified both Caterhams. It seems more likely that Marussia will score a point first, and this weekend seems like the best chance for one, the other, or both constructors to find a way to score a world championship point, but I don't see either of them scoring in the forseeable future, but I have been wrong before.

Ricciardo vs. Vergne: Both Toro Rosso drivers from last season are back in their rides for this season and that there is a little bit of speculation that they're both competing to be the 2nd driver for the Red Bull team. Mark Webber really doesn't have a lot of time left in Formula One and 2013 could be his last year in the sport, or at least with Red Bull, and whoever outperforms the other in the junior team could get Webber's spot on the Red Bull Renault team. I am a little surprised that Toro Rosso is still using Ferrari engines this season, because I did hear some speculation that they would go back to using Renault engines.

F1's new U.S. home: As I mentioned in last year's thread, NBC Sports would be the new U.S. broadcaster of F1 races. I managed to check out the broadcast of FP1 and FP2 and the first part of qualifying, and I really don't think that it was any better or any worse than Speed's coverage of Formula One. What really helped was that the vast majority of the broadcast team went with Formula One when it moved to NBC Sports. With NBC's acquisition of F1, the NBC Sports Network has both Formula One AND IndyCar on its schedule. I really think that the NBC Sports Network could become a basic cable channel on par with ESPN in the next year or so. Fun fact: When Speed (Speedvision) aired its first F1 race back in 1996, the NBC Sports Network was known as the Outdoor Life Network.

The Australian Grand Prix is in a few hours and this season will definitely be an interesting one.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

beken

Re: Official Formula 1 thread (2013 season)

Postby beken » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 am

Well, that was an exciting start to a new season. The Australian GP opened with what looked like a Red Bull domination in practice and qualifying. However, it turns out tire management will be the deciding factor this year. Red Bull and Ferrari got their very fast qualifying times using the new "Super Soft" tires. However once loaded with fuel and in race trim, it appears the Super Soft tires were only good for 5 laps before shredding apart. This forced the top qualifiers to pit early. Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus qualified on the medium tires and ran a two stop strategy. The extra stop became the deciding factor and Lotus won the first grand prix of 2013. Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari came in second and Vettel in third. The big surprise was Sutil in the Force India car, which kept up with the leaders and even led the race for awhile until his tires gave out on him near the end.

Qualifying for the Malaysian GP is in a couple of hours as I type this and it looks like Red Bull is fastest in final practice, but the super soft tires will be fragile. Lewis Hamilton locked his brakes flat spotted and before he could get back to the pits, the tire literally shredded down to the belts. The top 10 drivers are separated by less than .5 (that's half) a second a lap in the final practice.

This season looks like it's starting out like last year where any race can be won by pretty well anybody.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 am

Well that was a strange ending to the Malaysian GP. With about 20 laps to go, the two Redbull cars were beginning to pull away from the field. Mark Webber leading Sebastian Vettel. With 16 laps to go, Vettel was told to hold position and they turned down the mapping of Mark Webber's car to conserve fuel and tires. More importantly, tires. Vettel, having the faster car at the time disobeyed team orders and passed Mark Webber who was at a power disadvantage and won the race. Mark Webber was noticeably pissed. So was the team at Vettel for disobeying orders. It will be interesting to see what disciplinary action will happen. In any other sport, Vettel would be suspended by the team. However, earlier in the race, Mark Webber was still leading and Vettel was told (team orders) to stay behind by 3 seconds. Vettel's car was clearly faster and he maintained a 1 second gap instead. However, if Vettel had maintained a 3 second gap, he likely would have been passed by the two Mercedes cars as the they were catching up and would have been close enough to activate DRS to pass Vettel.

In other news, Hamilton in the Mercedes came in third after a long bout of Rosberg (the other Mercedes driver) having a clearly faster car, yet he stayed behind Hamilton as team orders told him to hold position.

So the podium had a really strange mood as Vettel knew he didn't deserve the win and Webber clearly upset at his teammate, and Hamilton in third, not deserving the podium spot.

Strange sport indeed.

beken

Postby beken » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Some thought after I've had some time to think about what happened....

Personally, I think Redbull and Mercedes are at fault for their fiasco. They wanted Webber to win one, but had the wrong strategy, putting the slower tire on for Webber's final stint. Even with the engine management turned down, Vettel clearly had the faster car in the final stint. Webber went to the front only because they broke some record for the fastest pitstop. The same goes for Mercedes. Rosberg had the faster car and could probably have caught the Redbulls if given the go ahead to pass Hamilton much earlier in the race. But they wanted Hamilton to be their "#1 driver" for this race. Both teams had a hidden agenda to have their drivers finish in a specific position. For the teams to tell their drivers to "hold position" for the final 16 laps of a 52 lap race is a disservice to the fans, sponsors and spectators who paid big money to go and watch "racing at its pinnacle". Even if Vettel had held position and let Webber win, it would have shown how political-ized F1 racing has become and perhaps why Americans have largely turned off F1.

On the other hand (sorry...going off topic a bit)pretty well, all auto racing has built "equalization" amongst the teams. In ALMS, the Corvettes were clearly faster than other cars in the GT class, but they were forced to use restrictor plates or some form of turning down the power on their cars so they could be even with the Aston Martins and other GT class cars. The same with NASCAR racing, where engines are equalized by having restrictor plates on the intake manifolds to get all engines to have the same power. Even in autocross racing where I sometimes participate, the MINIs are so much faster than all other smaller than 2 litre engined cars, that they kept bumping MINIs up racing classes. MINIs are now in Class D which pits them against Porsche Boxters, 370Zs, non-turbo 911's, older Corvettes, and older Ferraris. But at least they do it in a way that does not distract from the actual racing. Rules are made at the beginning of the season and reviewed at the end. F1 seems to change rules on the fly even during a race or in between races. Sure it prevents 2011 where Redbull pretty well had the title locked up about 5 races into the season, but you gotta give credit to Redbull for doing such a great job adhering to the rules and being so innovative.

beken

Postby beken » Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 am

In 2012 we went 10 races into the season with 10 different winners and the top 10 cars being within 2 seconds of each other in qualifying before the top teams started to sort themselves out and move above the pack with Sebastian Vettel (Redbull) and Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) fighting it out to the finish line of the final race for the overall championship.

Though 2013 looks not to be a repeat of that, it also looks like it's not going to be repeat of 2011 where Vettel ran away from the pack from the first race and pretty well had the championship locked by the halfway mark of the season.

2013 started much like how 2012 ended. We are now four races into the season with the top 3 drivers from 2012 winning and Vettel winning 2 races. His first win seemed tainted in that some controversy arose over team orders with the team seemingly intended on giving the win to Mark Webber before Vettel disobeyed the order to back off. My own thoughts are if Vettel had backed off and stayed behind Webber, he would have been caught by Raikkonen, and Hamilton and ended up forth. Alonso won the race in China and Vettel ran away from the pack to win in Bahrain despite not having the pole.

So the standing are the top three drivers from last year holding the top three positions in the standings. We now swing back to Europe where the Red Bulls have dominated the last few seasons. But Ferrari seems to have a much better car this year and the Lotus (Renault) with Raikkonen is very good also. McLaren is having problems with the brand new chassis design. The surprise this year has been Force India who seem to have a very quick car until the tires run out. But they are running with the top teams now and even getting some time holding the lead in a race.

Speaking of tires, this year's races will be won on tire management strategy and not on how fast or quick the car goes. The driver who can make his tires last the longest will win. The supersoft tires that some drivers use to get a good laptime in qualifying appear to be good for 3 laps in a race. You have to start a race with the tires you qualified on. This has made for some very early pitstops especially for the those who chased pole position. I found disconcerting that Filipe Massa's (Ferrari) rear tire shredded apart when his tire wore out last race. This was exactly what happened to me driving my MINI on it's factory Pirelli runflat tires while there was still much tread on them. The drop off in performance is dramatic as the tires wear. I think it would be better if the drop off was more gradual. It would be safer for the drivers, but the fastest cars would probably just run away from everybody again.

Now onto Spain and then Monaco coming up in a couple of weeks.

beken

Postby beken » Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

Darn....my DVD recorder broke. The race happens at 4:00am on Sunday mornings so I usually record it and then watch it to see what happened and learn the racing lines various drivers take to get around a track quickly.

Barcelona saw Alonso's Ferrari take the win and Massa's Ferrari come in 3rd with Kimi Raikonen of Lotus inbetween them in second. The two Redbulls of Vettel and Webber came in third and fourth respectively.

The podium winners ran a 4 stop strategy whereas the Redbulls switched to a 4 stop strategy, perhaps too late. From what I've read, this was a race strictly on tire management. The Pirelli tires would not last more than a few laps before they literally shredded apart. Even Pirelli has admitted that they need to rework the tire compounds to make the tires last a bit longer. A race that forces the teams into 4 pitstops is too many. One thing about this many pitstops, it makes the slower backmarker teams look a lot better and more competitive than they really are. It also makes qualifying for starting positions and getting pole a useless exercise as teams try not to get pole in the end in order to conserve their tires for the race.

In anycase, it's on to Monaco next where qualifying probably does matter as once the race starts, it would be very difficult to pass in the winding city street circuit.

beken

Postby beken » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:20 am

The F1 race at Monaco was more a procession of car than a race. No real passing on this circuit. The real excitement was in the GP2 race. Lap 1 Turn 1. Image

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ht-bfjcKJME

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ht-bfjcKJME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]http://www.youtube.com/embed/ht-bfjcKJME[/iframe]

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 pm

I managed to wake up early to catch this one and even if the racing wasn't exactly the best, Monaco is still a big deal. Nico Rosberg won the race and Vettel is still the championship leader. It was awesome to see the race air on NBC instead of NBCSN, which will be the case for the Canadian GP.

One question that I have concerning next season: When they make the switch to turbo-charged engines, will they still have that trademark F1 engine sound or will it sound like an engine from a NASCAR machine or closer to the IndyCar engines? I haven't heard too much about that switch since last year. I guess I'll have to find out next year.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm

The engines will sound distinctly different, but at 15,000 rpm, I doubt most observers will notice much of a difference. It shouldn't be too difficult to adapt because prior to the current V8's, F1 used V10's and V12s. A V6 would be just a 1/2 a V12 block. Inherently, a 60deg angle V6 runs smoother than a 90deg angle engine. So it is possible we might see even higher revving engines. They will be slightly lighter in weight, but a 60deg angle means the engines will be slightly higher in profile leading to a higher center of gravity.

Frankly, at the rpms they run the engines at, and the horsepower they were getting out of the engines, there was little or no fuel savings at all.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 pm

The Canadian GP for me can be described in one word: predictable. Vettel took pole, won from pole and led every lap in the race. I've said this before but at the current pace, Vettel is not only the 2nd coming of Michael Schumacher, he could actually surpass Schumacher as the greatest F1 driver of all time. Next up is Silverstone and I feel that Lewis Hamilton outpacing his former team will continue.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 am

I have a feeling that this might be another Vettel runs away with it again type season. Though the Redbull does not appear to be the outright fastest car, it appears to be the quickest in the corners and Vettel is a very good driver to handle it, in spite of tire wear being the main deciding factor in any race.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 am

The British GP at Silverstone turned out to be interesting. Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes had the pole with Vettel hot on his tail. Also, at the start, Mark Webber starting from the 4th position had one of his famous awful starts and found him self in 15th position by the time the pack got to the first corner. Not long after the race started, Lewis left rear tire flew apart, literally exploding. He Relegating him to the rear after a heroic drive to get the car back to the pits. Over the course of the race 4 other cars would also have their left rear tire blow out on the same straight between turns 4 and 5.

With 11 laps to go, Vettel's transmission loses all forward gears giving the lead to Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes and the ensuing yellow flag from Vettel's breakdown allows the Webber, who had made it back to 7 place, and Alonso in 10th the pit for new tires. With new tires, Webber almost won the race falling short by .6 sec behind Nico Rosberg. Alonso comes in 3rd and Hamilton made it to 4th. Raikenon's Lotus was in 2nd place and he questioned his pit why he wasn't called in for tires during the yellow. It turns out that Lotus had made a strategic error as at the end the Lotus fell behind the Mercedes, the Redbull of Webber, as well as Alonso's Ferrari.

the top 5 cars spent some portion of the race outside of the top 10 (outside of the points), it just goes to show how much faster Redbull, Ferrari and Lotus are than everybody else in F1 this year.

I am starting to wonder if Vettel's car broke down on purpose just to make the season more interesting as his car broke while leading and comfortably in control of the race. With Vettel not getting any points this race, his championship lead gets cut to 17 points, giving hope that somebody else might still be able to win the championship this year.

Also rather disconcerting are the tire blow outs in this race. There was a common them to them. They all blew on the same stretch of the race track, the same tire and they all blew the same way. Pirelli has some answering to do.

Next week, Germany.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 am

So in the German GP at the Nurberguring, everything went back to the same old same old where Vettel won followed by Raikkonen and Grosjean (the two Lotus-Renaults). It was, actually an eventful race. Vettel's RedBull was not the fastest car and the Lotus (loti?) were reeling him in when the Red Bull car lost KERS. As usual, the bad things happen to Mark Webber as he took off before a rear tire was secured on his car. The resultant runaway rear tire hit a cameraman in the pit area and though he was injured, the cameraman survived.

Of note, this is the very first time Vettel has won a Grand Prix in the month of July and also the first time he has won in his home country.

On to Hungary next.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 am

Wow...it's been a month since the last race. In case you missed the race in Hungary, it was won by Lewis Hamilton. His first win for Mercedes, Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus came in second leap frogging him past Ferrari's Fernando Alonso in the standings to second place. Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull came in third. He retains first place in the standings. The standings are still pretty close, but it's looking like Vettel and Raikkonen will battle it out to the end. Ferrari seems rather inconsistent, but they still figure in the picture.

As we go into the 2nd half of the season, the silly season of who will drive for who next year is starting. As well, most of the teams who are pretty well out of the running for the championship have shifted their attention to the 2014 cars. Next year will see significant changes in chassis and engine specifications. Of note, they are going to turbocharged V6's for 2014. Also, Pirelli does not have a contract in place to supply tires for F1 next year yet, so there will be the question of tires.

Anyways, next up, the Belgium Grand Prix this weekend.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 am

I came across an article about the question of tyres. A Pirelli spokesperson said they had 10 of 11 teams inked to contracts. So I suppose Michelin's statement about stepping in is probably little more than a PR move right now. What will happen the following year is another matter...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:58 am

Today it was officially stated by F1 that Michelin tires are not being considered for 2014.

As for last weekend's race in Belgium, Vettel made a pretty impressive pass on Hamilton for the lead in the first lap of the race and ran away from everybody. In fact, he was told to slow down a few times throughout the race. Alonso drove another great race coming from 7th on the start grid to finish 2nd, 16 seconds behind the lead. Raikkanon had a brake failure and dropped from 2nd to 4th in the championship standings. It's looking like another Red Bull season.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 am

The Italian Grand Prix at Monza saw the Red Bulls totally dominate the rest of the field. Yes, it looks like another Red Bull season. Except for Alonso's gutsy pass on Webber that gave him 2nd place, the Red Bulls were at least .5 than their nearest rivals. To bad Webber couldn't maintain the pace with gearbox problems slowing him down.

Vettel won the race by 6 seconds, but actually slowed down because his car was developing gearbox issues also. He was over 11 seconds ahead until the last 3 or 4 laps when he was told to slow down and just bring the car home.

The silly season of drive movement for 2014 has begun. Mark Webber will retire from F1 racing and Daniel Ricciardo will replace him at Red Bull Racing. We are not sure who will replace Ricciardo at STR Torro Roso yet. Maybe they have another young gun waiting in the wings. Kimi Raikkonen will leave Lotus-Renault and join Ferrari. It will be interesting to see the top two drivers other than Vettel on the same team. Ferrari being a team that normally has a clear #1 and #2 supporting driver will have an interesting culture shift next year. Philippe Massa is out.

General consensus is most teams have given up and will focus their resources in developing their 2014 cars now. 2014 has some fairly serious rules changes including engines, and aero designs. This possibly means Red Bull will likely win both the constructors and drivers championships again this year. 7 races to go. For Ferrari to catch Redbull in the standings, Vettel will have to score zero points for 3 of the remaining 7 races where Ferrari outright wins 3 races.

Last year at this point in the season, Ferrari had a 41 point advantage and RedBull won the championship on the last race. So it is not impossible.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 pm

The Singapore GP was interesting. It appears the Red Bulls and Sebastian Vettel in particular have been holding back all season. Perhaps running at 8/10ths. In a stunning display of outright speed, Sebastian Vettel won by 32 seconds. In F1 car speed, that's about a full mile. If the gap was created over the entire race, it would have been the Red Bulls were faster cars. But to see the 32 second gap happen in the last 10 laps of the race was simply stunning. Even Marc Webber was close to the same general pace to chase down a podium position if his transmission didn't blow up on him (literally caught fire) at the beginning of the final lap.

Vettel emerged from his 2nd pit stop with 10 laps to go with barely a 1 second gap on the Ferrari of Alonso. He was told he could go all out, as fast as he could. By the end of the lap, he was 4 seconds ahead.

Had there not been a yellow flag and 5 laps of following the safety car midway through the race, the Red Bulls would have run away with the race and perhaps lapped the entire field. The Red Bulls were already about 10 seconds ahead at that point and the safety car forced the parade to bunch up.

Kimi Raikanon was pretty amazing to come from 13th place on the grid and finish in 3rd.

Given that the final 6 races involve tracks where the Red Bulls traditionally are faster, most of the other teams have thrown in the towel to concentrate on work on the 2014 cars and chassis where everything will be significantly different than this year.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 am

Korea and Japan was won by Sebastian Vettel. No real surprise there as it looks like Vettel is by far the quickest car. He manages to make no mistakes and conserve his tires. Korea was interesting because in Q3, he made one early run and then parked the car to save a set of tires and waited to see if anybody would pass him for pole position. Rosberg in the Mercedes came close but not quite.

Mark Webber won pole position in Japan, beating out his team mate (Vettel). So the Red Bulls locked up the front row for the start of the race. This looked like the race Webber would win. The start for the Redbulls was ruined by Romain Grosjean in the Lotus as he stormed to the front at the start followed by Webber and Vettel. Those three ran off from the rest of the field and 4th was a good 12 seconds back. The Redbulls played a strategy game. Mark Webber's driving style appears to eat up tires faster than Vettel's. Vettel did a two stop strategy and Webber ended up doing a 3 stop strategy, albiet with fresh soft tires that allowed the car to go faster overall. In the end, Grosjean could not hold off the Redbulls. Vettel made the pass with 11 laps to go and built up a 5 second lead. Webber made his third stop and then stormed after
Grosjean being a good 1 second a lap faster than Grosjean. Had he passed Grosjean with the efficiency that Vettel passed him, Webber should have been able to win the race. He was on the much fresher and softer (faster) tires which would allow him to go faster than Vettel, but Webber was unable to get past Grosjean until the last lap of the race.

This race would silence a lot of Vettel's critics as most of them seem to think Vettel is leading because he has the best car and is not a very good driver at all. The truth coming out is that Vettel seems to be able to extract much more out of the car than Webber can and is therefore a very deserving champion, perhaps one of the best drivers to be in Formula 1 ever. There is good argument that Fernando Alonso is a better driver because Alonso seems to be able to make the Ferrari do much better than the car itself is. In fact, the Ferrari is not really a very good car this year. But Ferrari is not leading in the championship and is at risk of losing 2nd place in the constructor's title also.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:28 pm

The Indian GP saw tire degradation take front and center spotlight again. The rules require drivers to use both the super soft and the medium tires at some point in the race. The supersoft tires were a full 2 seconds a lap faster than running the medium tires. But the the supersofts lasted on average only 3 to 5 laps before performance dropped off. Pirelli's tires didn't just drop off throughout the season, they literally exploded and shredded.

Sebastian Vettel was at least .5 sec faster per lap than his teammate (Mark Webber) during practice and the Redbulls were the class of the field. In qualifying, strategy came into play. Webber would qualify on the Medium tires and would start 4th. The top three cars, let by Vettel qualified on the Supersofts. The medium tires appeared to get about 39 laps of the 60 lap race so a one stop strategy would likely not be possible. As it turned out, Kimi Raikannon attempted a one stop race only to fall back in the field during the last 10 laps.

Vettel went two laps on the supersoft tires before pitting and came out with medium tires in 19th place. In an amazing display of great driving, Vettel was in 2nd place by lap 11 and 10 seconds behind his teammate, who still had not pitted to change tires. When Webber pitted, Vettel assumed the lead and never looked back.

Marc Webber was about 7 seconds back of Vettel with a good chance of winning the race due to strategy until his alternater failed. The same failure that happened to Vettel the previous year. I really thought this was the race Vettel would give back a race and let Mark Webber win one. Vettel only needed to finish 4 to clinch the championship. But when Webber pulled off, and Vettel's car showing some electrical issues, the team turned down all the performance goodies and disabled KERS on Vettel's car. They even told him to stop drinking. Vettel still won the race by almost 30 seconds (a full mile at F1 speeds)

Vettel was the only driver to make the supersoft tires last 11 laps. That's at least twice the distance of any of the other drivers. An amazing display of smooth driving and not making any mistakes on the racing lines. I have come to the conclusion that his teammate has reliability problems only because he is rougher on the car. When going well, he is just as fast, but is not as consistent as Vettel at maintaining that concentration.

On the podium, Rosberg and Grosjean were also very good. Grosjean should be commended as most improved driver from last year and throughout this season. Rosberg is emerging as a driver that's as fast or faster than his teammate, former champion, Lewis Hamilton.

On to Abu Dhabi next.

Return to “Sports”