Official NHL Thread - 2013 only

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
beken

Re: Official NHL Thread - 2013 only

Postby beken » Sat May 04, 2013 8:40 am

I think the Canucks are going down 0-4 in the opening series. The defensive lapses scare me. None of the losses are the fault of Luongo. You also need to score more than one or two goals a game.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:48 am

beken wrote:I think the Canucks are going down 0-4 in the opening series. The defensive lapses scare me. None of the losses are the fault of Luongo. You also need to score more than one or two goals a game.

I saw some of game 2 and Luongo was the only reason you guys had a freaking chance. Even the best goaltenders though cannot stop everything when they get little help from the D. That's part of why my Caps are doing so well. Oates has really made our D more....fluid, smooth, smart, and dynamic. Tonight we shut out NY despite several penalties. In the playoffs good D is what helps you win first and foremost in my mind. You need good goal tending and you need offense but I have always felt you need the D to be the best to win out. Otherwise your goalies and offense will get burned out carrying the load by rounds 3 and up. I agree the Canucks need to rework that D in the off season. I doubt they'll get swept as San Jose has their own play offs issues every year but I think San Jose will win the series. If the Nucks D doesn't get better they don't deserve to win. You can't rely on the twins for everything.

beken

Postby beken » Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 am

I am thankful, as a resident of the Vancouver area, a fan, but not a fanatic, that the playoffs were mercifully short. The Canucks were a pretty good regular season team, but have never been a good playoff team. The defensive lapses made me cringe and the lack of scoring by the stars in the playoffs (not just this shortened season) have made it apparent the Canucks may never win a Stanley cup.

Lots to complain about. I could complain about the officiating too, but won't.

Okay...so who else will make it to the next round?

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Have to say that I'm surprised that the Islanders took the Penguins to a game 6. Thought Pittsburgh would want to avoid what they did last year. You know like piss poor goaltending by Fleury and bad team defense. I was picking the Penguins to win the cup, but unless they straighten out their act they will be lucky to get past the second round.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 am

Yeah, I mean, I didn't expect the Islanders to be a factor in our series but we do need to step our game up if we expect to make a deep run in the postseason, especially since Ottawa upset Montreal 4 games to 1 in their series and we play them next.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 am

6 out of 8 series picked correctly, not bad.

Second round.
East:
Penguin vs Senators - Despite their slight struggle in the first round with the Islanders I'm still going with the Pens in 6. If they stick with Vokoun they'll be better off. If Pittsburgh can button down defensively expect this to be a low scoring series.

Bruins vs Rangers - Should be a evenly played series to the Rangers win in 7. With two shutouts in a row Lundqvist is looking very confident, which should worry Bruins fans.

West:
Blackhawks vs Red Wings - Going with Chicago in 7. Assuming they can shutdown Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Kings vs Sharks- Sharks in 6. If San Jose can get physical with LA this series will be shorter.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:10 am

Well Caps choked again. World keeps spinning. As did the Rangers, Sharks, and Vancouver. As much as things change some things stay the same.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:33 pm

I am very disappointed with how Pittsburgh is playing in this series against the Bruins. We're down 0-2 and got our asses kicked on home ice. Now we gotta go to Boston for Game 3 tonight. They'd better get their heads out of their asses if they expect to win this series.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:08 pm

freezespell wrote:I am very disappointed with how Pittsburgh is playing in this series against the Bruins. We're down 0-2 and got our asses kicked on home ice. Now we gotta go to Boston for Game 3 tonight. They'd better get their heads out of their asses if they expect to win this series.

Sorry Freezespell. It just didn't happen this year for Pittsburgh. Hey, they did better than the Sabres. Which speaking of, I expect great improvement in the Buffalo Sabres next year. Mark my words! :)

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 pm

That's too bad. I was hoping it was Pittsburgh's year too.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Sentire wrote:
freezespell wrote:I am very disappointed with how Pittsburgh is playing in this series against the Bruins. We're down 0-2 and got our asses kicked on home ice. Now we gotta go to Boston for Game 3 tonight. They'd better get their heads out of their asses if they expect to win this series.

Sorry Freezespell. It just didn't happen this year for Pittsburgh. Hey, they did better than the Sabres. Which speaking of, I expect great improvement in the Buffalo Sabres next year. Mark my words! :)

Chicago's Game 1 triple OT win last night did soothe the pain a little.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Stacked the deck with those acquisitions and still didn't get the job done eh? =p And then Ovi steals the Hart trophy too lol. Well Sid did get the Ted Linsey award so at least he doesn't go home empty handed.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:05 pm

And Lindy Ruff is now the new head coach of the Dallas Stars. Take a guess who here cussed a fit over that lol?

beken

Postby beken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 am

I'm sort of glad the best team (even though I'm not a fan of them) in the league thoughout the entire shortened season won.

Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:17 am

I was checking out the player signings and trades article on the CBC website and couldn't help but notice that the Caps haven't been active...at all. Nada. Zip. Is the CBC missing something out there?
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am

Caps were sleepers but we won the Grabhvoski race heh. We lost Hendricks to Nashville which I hate cause I loved him. We do have other grinders though. I mean Eric Fehr played his best season ever last year. With Grabhvoski we replaced Reibero so we're pretty much the same now as last year. Think we're focusing on building under Oates and having a full training camp with him. I am annoyed that Rebeiro made it sound like we screwed him though. Whined on tv about how he moved his family ehre and was expected to be re-signed and we didn't work with him etc etc. Getting Erat did hurt that but the fact is he was given an offer. The same comparable one Grab got probably. It was not enough for him though. He wanted more. That's his call but don't fucking act like we screwed you pal. You pssed up the offer for more money now instead of taking a very fair 1 year deal until the cap goes back up next year. That's what Grabhvoski did. Took a 1 year deal this year given the cap under the idea he proves himself he gets the big one when the cap goes back up. He was cool with that, Rebeiro obviously was not. Will be interesting to see how well he does in Phoenix without the talent around him like in Washington. They're good but they are not a scoring team there.

Return to “Sports”