Official NHL Thread - 2013 only

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
Sentire

Official NHL Thread - 2013 only

Postby Sentire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 am

As much as it has been frustrating with the lockout, I am glad to have hockey back in my life. Of course, I can say that because Buffalo won the opening game against Philly (sorry Doug). Of course I would have meant it even if we had lost. I guess especially since football is over for Buffalo, it is always nice to still have hockey to enjoy. It is kind of cool to have Mike Foligno's son on the roster. I believe Mike Foligno's number used to be 7... that would have been back around 1990. Or was it 17? I'm going to have to go look it up now.

I don't want to jinx us, but we may just win tonight's game against Toronto. It is currently 2-0, and there are only just over 3 minutes left.

Darn - Toronto just scored.... and there is just over a minute left.

Sentire

Re: Official NHL Thread - 2013 only

Postby Sentire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 am

Update:

Boy, it was close, but Buffalo pulled off another win! :)

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 am

^ Better than the 'Nucks who managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against the Oilers. Yippee...an 0-2 start. This isn't looking good folks.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 am

See if my Caps tomorrow do any better in their game 2. Another divisional game but the first home game. Fingers crossed.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm happy about how the Penguins got off to a good start so far this season but it sucks that I gotta wait until the 29th to watch their home game against the Islanders. Looks like I'll have to record both Snooki and JWoww AND The Joe Schmo Show so I can watch it.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 am

Caps went down in OT eh? Not a good start for them: 0-3-1. They got run over by the Jets and Habs too.

Meanwhile the 'Nucks get some measure of revenge by blanking the Ducks at their home opener in Anaheim. Nice to see Kassian chipping in goals.

Meanwhile, former Canucks Ehrhoff and Hodgson seem to be off to good starts in Buffalo. Their next game is against the Caps. Will be interesting since the Sabres dropped an away and home series against the 'Canes.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 am

Well, Caps beat the Sabres yesterday.... :(
It was close though! Psycho101 and I laid down some ground rules before the game, in order to avoid armageddon. Good thing we did.... :mrgreen:

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:22 pm

...and now Lindy Ruff is the ex-coach of the Buffalo Sabres. How long was he their coach? Seventeen years? That's amazing. They had some good years in there. Sad to see they've had a poor start this year.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:07 am

Link to a CBC article about Tim Horton: Remembering Tim Horton

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am

We picked up another win last night against Boston! Scored 3 3rd-period goals against a team that's leading the league in fewest 3rd-period goals allowed this season. I love it when we win, but I especially love it when that win comes at the expense of the Boston Bruins!
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 am

We beat the Bruins again on Sunday, tonight it's the Caps' turn. :twisted:

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 am

Honestly we outplayed you guys for most of the game. But that's what mistakes cost you. Fortunately we bounced back and kicked the Jets ass. Not sure if we can make the playoffs but I keep hoping.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:50 am

^ Yeah, the Jets were a sorry lot there. Sabres snuck out a S/O over the Laughs (err, Leafs) too. 'Nucks are back on a roll of sorts. 4 wins in the last 5 games.

beken

Postby beken » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:10 am

The Canucks are playing with half the team injured. Half the line-up are call-ups from the farm team in Chicago. This is a great chance for some of the young guys to show their stuff. I don't even know half the names.

I thought when the Canucks lost game 7 of the final to Boston, that was their peak. It was time to roll in some new blood and move on.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:56 am

Seems the Caps are finally getting Oates system down. Anyone who doubted his work with Ovey I think are eating their words now. He hasn't looked this good in years. I have been saying it all half-season the Caps needed that off season to adjust to Oates system. You can see as time is going on and they get used to it how better they're playing. I don't know if we have enough time to make the playoffs this year but next year with a full off season I expect us to be right back on top in the East. Plus for the first time the people we acquired in the off season to fill certain roles are doing so nicely. Reibero is just money. Eakin was a good prospect for us but we have plenty of young good talent. Kuznetsov (if he ever makes it over from Russia finally), Wilson, Sjogren, Di Pauli, Forsberg, and Galiev. So we could afford to give up Eakin especially with how well Reibero has been for us. And now Laich is back and doing good. Eric Fehr is also playing harder then he eve did before with us even when down in Hershey. Plus our young D are coming along nicely. Orlov and Kundratek are gold and while not super young Oleksy is doing well at the NHl level too. Honestly I say trade Schultz as he just isn't doing as well. Between Green, Alzner, Carlson, the 3 rookies, and Hillen we're good. Plus we got Erskine for grit and Tom Poti after 2 years out isn't doing half bad. Holtby is doing good now in net and with Grubauer and Anderson down in Hershey/Reading we could afford to trade Neuvirth if needed for cap space for prospects/draft picks. Honestly I think the Caps are set for another 3-5 years with our talent if they can keep coming together.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Well the Jets are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. Tonight's win over the Sabres makes things pretty interesting. The Jets face the Caps next and then finish their season against the Habs. The Caps get the Sens and Bruins after the Jets. I'm putting my money on the Caps. They're a point up, have been doing well recently and I can't imagine them going on a three game skid now. On the other hand, anything can happen...

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 am

The Playoffs start tomorrow here are my picks for the first round.

Eastern Conference:
Penguins vs Islanders - Yeah, Penguins in 4. That's not to say that the Islanders will be pushovers. I just expect the Pens to come out strong to avoid a repeat of last year.

Canadiens vs Senators - Has the potential to be the big upset of the playoffs. Assuming that Ottawa's defense can stifle the Montreal offense. Look for Craig Anderson to stand on his head especially for the games in Montreal. Sens in 7.

Capitals vs Rangers - Lundqvist may steal a game or two, but the Caps team defense will be the difference in this series. Caps in 7.

Bruins vs Maple Leafs - Considering the dominance Boston has had over Toronto it's not hard to go with the Bruins to take the series in 4.

Western Conference:
Blackhawks vs Wild - The only hope the Wild has of winning this series is if Backstrom can steal a game or two and their two players they signed over the offseason. Won't be enough though as Chicago has too much depth out of these two teams. Blackhawks in 5.

Ducks vs Red Wings - A lot of people are picking Detroit to win this series based on their experience, but let's not forget that this isn't Anaheim's first time here. Expect to see the Ducks to get scoring from all four lines to win the series in 6.

Canucks vs Sharks - Don't get me wrong here Vancouver has a good team. It's just that their goaltending is iffy if Schneider doesn't return or comes back too late. Sharks in 7.

Blues vs Kings - Should be another exciting series to watch because both teams have good goaltending and big guys that like to hit. Kings' offensive players should be the difference. Kings in 6.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 am

Cup playoff time baby!!!!! And my Caps are scorching hot too.

Eastern Conference:
Penguins vs Islanders - I actually think this goes to 6. Islanders have been scoring a lot lately. Plus no word on Crosby yet. If he is back then 5 games.

Canadiens vs Senators - Sens in 6. Montreal barely kept the lead in their division. Only reason they did was Boston started slipping just as much as them. I think overall though the Sens D is just going to be the difference maker and help push them on. I think this might be one of the hardest hitting matchups though.

Capitals vs Rangers - My Caps in 5. We are scorching hot and we're used to beating the Rangers in the play offs lol. With Ovey and Green back to old form and Brower and Rebeiro and Backstrom getting it done we're in good shape. Plus our D is healthy going into the playoffs for once.

Bruins vs Maple Leafs - Bruins in 5. Toronto squeaks one out at home but despite their slips lately Boston will win because of Rask. Toronto still needs more consistent goaltending.

Western Conference:
Blackhawks vs Wild - Hawks in 4. The Hawks are going to stomp on Backstrom like a mud hole. I think games might be tighter then expected but Hawks just have too much going for them.

Ducks vs Red Wings - Ducks in 5. With Detroit's struggles on D and the Caps former couch Boudreau and his score score score mentality with the Ducks they will win this. Detroit simply wont be able to stop them from scoring.

Canucks vs Sharks - Nucks in 6. Luongo if in net won't choke til rounds 2 or 3 like normal. I think it'll be close but I think that they're experience as of late with playoffs will help them. They KNOW they can make it to the finals. The Sharks can't. They choke harder than a Vietnamese hooker on pay day.

Blues vs Kings - I think the Kings will win but I'm pulling for the Blues. So Blues in 6. This is my vote based on my desire not my gut.

beken

Postby beken » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am

Living in Vancouver it's hard not to get caught up in the hockey fever that is the Canucks. The Canucks can be a good team but frankly, the are also capable of being a very bad team. And not just in the goaltending. That last game vs Edmonton, it wasn't a Luongo meltdown that we saw in the third period. The entire team left the Luongo to be the target of a shooting gallery. I watched too many games this year where the Canuck defense just could not clear the puck out of their own zone. I don't anticipate them getting too deep into the playoffs but hope I'm wrong.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 am

^ It's too bad they ended the season on a bad note. Things like that are not a sign of good things to come.

Return to “Sports”