Yet Another NHL Lockout

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.

How long will this NHL lockout last?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:04 am

It'll be over by Canadian Thanksgiving (early October)
No votes
It'll be over by US Thanksgiving (late November)
No votes
It'll be over by the time of the Winter Classic (New Year's Day)
40%
The season is going to be cancelled.
40%
Next September
20%

Total votes: 5

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Yet Another NHL Lockout

Postby d.yaro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:04 am

Since I'm not able to catch any games live over here, the lockout hasn't been too brutal for me. Anyways, here are a couple of random thoughts (apologies to Elliot Friedman(sic)):

1) Ovechkin in Russia: he might stay. First off, that's something no Caps fan would want to entertain. The impact on the team would be massive. Second, it would make things between the NHL and KHL really ugly. Third, breach of contract. 'Nuff said.

2) Does anyone care? I do in the sense that NHL hockey has been a part of my life since around fourth grade in elementary school. As a youngster it was the only show in town. So, having said that, this lockout is starting to erode my attachment to the league...not the game. In the case of MLB, a labour stoppage was terminal. Once the Expos did poorly the next season my interest waned. By the time they moved to Washington, I didn't care at all. I had hoped the Nats would never make the playoffs but apparently that jinx was broken today. C'est la vie...

3) Going back to the lockout itself though, it appears to me that the dispute centres around the owners being 1) bullish on revenue growth, and 2) opportunistic on clawing back salary growth. The NHLPA, of course, taking the exact opposite stance. I suppose the owners are working on a self fulfilling prophecy with respect to point 1. If the lockout is long enough to diminish interest in their product then yes, revenues won't grow that quickly.

That's about all for now...
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

doug19992000

Re: Yet Another NHL Lockout

Postby doug19992000 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 am

I think that they will come to an agreement by the time the Winter Classic rolls around. I agree with you though on the aspect of yet another lock out hurting the leagues image, especially when the NHL has had 4 lockouts since the '91-'92 season. I think that the players and the owners will come to an agreement soon due to the fact that teams were still signing free agents, so hopefully that is a sign that it won't be another lockout like in '04-'05.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 am

Well with no talks scheduled I'm not holding my breath. I think the season is done. This is just bullshit. Getting tired of these lockouts. As for OVey...I'm sure there might be some clause in that contract that allows him to come back over if the lockout ends. If not.....fuck.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:57 am

I read an interesting OP/ED article on the CBC website about how the owners of the teams, while supposedly showing a united front, are likely their own worst enemies. It's not like they haven't been rewarding players with lavish long term contracts (which is one thing the league wants to cut out of the CBA). The gist of the analysis being that not only do Bettman and Daly have to look tough towards the NHLPA, they also have to carry cattleprods to keep the owners in line... :lol:

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Well the NFL refs are back and got a standing ovation. And then boo'ed a few minutes later. One fan even had a sign that summed it up best. "Bring back the real refs so we can yell at the right people" basically heh. Was a good game though. My Ravens won though so suck on that Browns. As for the NHL, all pre-season games are cancelled BUT both sides were going to talk today and be in meetings. Maybe this bullshit with the NFL has lit a fire under their asses. I mean the fan outrage over the refs is what really did it for the NFL plain and simple. The NFl heads and Goddell and crew would've stuck with the rep refs to make a point if the fans hadn't been so outraged. Though the outrage is not the reason why, it's the loss of income due to the rage. The NHL can't afford to lose any fan right now as they fight to get more prime time coverage. A lockout now would simply do only harm and nothing good. I think both sides might see that now thanks to the NFL drama and want to get it taken care of. We can hope at least.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:21 am

Looks like the league is willing to go 50/50 on the revenue sharing. If the players don't accept this deal it will only make them look bad. And why didn't they just do that months ago?

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 pm

doug19992000 wrote:And why didn't they just do that months ago?
I don't know either. Nor do the players according to an article I read. That article talked about the union and the league entering ZOPA (Zone of Possible Agreement). The take seems to be that the NHLPA would be stupid to not use this offer as a starting point. It's a bit thin (only 7 pages long so they say) so that leaves a myriad of details to be worked out. Let's see what happens. Personally, I'm not too optimistic that there will be a full 82 game schedule played. If there is then there'll be a real short off-season next year.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 am

That or the league will cancel the preseason and shorten the playoffs.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 am

All of October is gone now. Not looking good folks.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:17 am

There goes the Winter Classic. At least there is some movement going on as the NHLPA and NHL second-in-command guys have had discussions together.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:58 am

Think at this point it's bye bye season.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:36 am

^ Yeah, it's not looking too good. There was a glimmer of hope last week but it's all gone now.

In the meantime here's a little distraction: A look at this year's Hockey Hall of Fame inductees. Sorry, none of this group played for the Sabres. Adam Oates had stints in Washington and Philadelphia and he's now the coach of the Caps. Bure, in spite of the events leading up to him being traded to Florida, is someone I will always associate with the Canucks and especially that 1994 Cup run.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 am

Same here. Whenever I think of Bure I thin k of the Nucks and the old gold, black, white jerseys.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 am

Will they just get over it and just cancel the whole season? At the rate we're going the season will be reduced to each team playing a home and away series every other team in their conference. After people fail to pay money to see such a product maybe then the league will comprehend the meaning of "fan indifference" and the damage they've done to themselves..

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm

They've single handily screwed over years of work to get hockey on prime time and more public notice. They've taken all that hard work and trashed it because the rich fucks at the top on both sides want to be richer fucks and top the others. They need to dislodge their heads from their asses and start giving a shit what the fans think. Without us and our money they don't have shit and need to be reminded of that.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 am

So now the two sides have agreed to have US federal mediators take a look at things: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/11/26/sp-nhl-nhlpa-labour-talks-bill-daly.html. Since the mediators' recommendations are non-binding this constitutes an attempt to see what other options are out there to solve this dispute.

Bettman says the league is losing $20M a day as this dispute drags on. I suppose he's talking gate revenues plus TV and media revenue. I wonder it the figure includes sponsorship money...and the money some sponsors have said they want back after the lockout ends.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:01 am

Psycho 101 wrote:Think at this point it's bye bye season.

I think you could be right at this point. A couple of days ago, I heard that games through the middle of January had been cancelled. If the entire season does go on to be cancelled, then that would make 2 whole seasons cancelled because of a lockout in the last 10 years. I'm not exactly a diehard hockey fan but 2 seasons being cancelled in such a short period of time? From my point of view, professional hockey in this country is in a sad state of affairs. At this point, the fact that we want this whole thing sorted out would be the only way to give a Pens fan and a Caps fan something to agree with each other on. ;)
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:19 am

So we have a tentative agreement in place eh? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/01/hard-to-see-a-winner-in-nhl-labour-truce.html. Supposedly it's something both sides will hate (some teams more than others depending on their market size and worth). Whatever...

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

We WILL have hockey this season! We have a 48-game season to look forward to, but the best thing about it is we will have hockey for at least the next 12 years! Hopefully I'll be able to catch a Penguins game or two in that time frame.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 am

And the Caps re-sign Eric Fehr lol. So we trade him to Winnipeg last year for a prospect and a draft pick. So basically 2 prospects in essence. Both are doing good and we re-sign him a year later for 1/3 his salary. Way to go George McPhee lol.

Return to “Sports”