Formula 1 racing 2012 season.

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
beken

Formula 1 racing 2012 season.

Postby beken » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 am

The 2012 season is turning out to be quite different than the 2011 season. Last year (2011), Sebastion Vettel pretty well had the season locked up by the 6th race having won every race and not being on the podium for only 2 races the entire season.

This year, we have 6 different winners so far in 6 races. In qualifying, pole and 10th position are separated by less than 2 seconds at most of the tracks so far. In fact, the cars are so evenly matched this year, that racing is more a matter of tire strategy than driver skill or a fast car.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Re: Formula 1 racing 2012 season.

Postby freezespell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:50 pm

For me, another one of the big surprises is how much Michael Schumacher has struggled this season. I know he's not exactly in a "top" ride like a McLaren or a Red Bull, but his Mercedes team isn't that far off. I mean, he did record the fastest time in qualifying in Monaco and I believe if he didn't have to serve a 10 grid spot penalty, he more than likely would have won.

As far as the cars being evenly matched is concerned, I have a feeling that we'll have a championship battle similar to what we saw in 2007 and 2008. I also predict a 7th different winner in Canada. I have a feeling Lewis Hamilton will get the win this Sunday.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

Big thanks to Littlewolf for the sig! :D

beken

Postby beken » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 am

Going into the Singapore Grand Prix, those Red Bulls are looking awfully fast again. But that was just practice. Won't know until qualifying.

It's looking like McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull duking it out with Mercedes, Lotus (Renault), Sauber and Williams very close behind.

Maybe Red Bull will fall off due to some reliability issues.

freezespell
Location: Here at Anime Alley, living my dreams through other people AND showing off the mother of my child.

Postby freezespell » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 am

Not a bad weekend in Singapore. The GP2 season came to an end and from an American front, it appeared to end with some degree of promise. We had an American on the grid for the last two races and there was another American that finished decently in the GP3 series this year. Maybe we'll see either of them or both on the grid in GP2 next season. Valsecchi won the championship but I doubt we'll see him make the jump to F1 next year.

Alonso still has a considerable lead in the Driver's Championship, but I was more impressed with how well Felipe Massa did in Singapore. I was also impressed with di Resta getting a top 5 finish as well. For some reason, both Red Bull and McLaren have problems with reliability yet they're currently 1-2 in the Constructor's Championship standings.
Kami-sama wa sono hitori no ko wo tamawatta hodo ni kono yo wo aishite kudasatta. Sore wa miko wo shinjiru mono ga hitori mo horobinai de eien no inochi wo eru tame dearu.
"I'm gonna go cash an Over/Under 69 with Jenn Sturger. Laters." -@NFLcommishFAKE
"You don't burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored." -Cliff Burton
"Honestly, If I wanted to see King Hippo dance, I'd play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" -The Miz

beken

Postby beken » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:27 am

Wow...that didn't take much to erase Alonso's points lead for Ferrari. Sebastian Vettel has taken the drivers points lead with 3 wins in a row. It looks like Ferrari and Red Bull have made enough improvements to rise to be the top two teams duking it out for the championship. Red Bull appears faster though probably not as reliable. With Massa coming into form, I can't help but think Ferrari was holding Massa back to get Alonso to the front. In Korea, Massa seemed the faster of the two Ferraris, but made to stay obediently behind Alonso running in 3rd place. The same could probably be said of Red Bull, though it appears Vettel is the more skilled driver over Mark Webber, especially at holding a lead.

McLaren appears to have imploded, now that the drivers for McLaren for 2013 have been announced. Michael Schumacher has announced his retirement (again) and will be replaced by Lewis Hamilton from McLaren next season. Massa has resigned (a new 1year contract) with Ferrari to be the obedient number 2 driver for 2013 with speculation that Ferrari is trying to pry Sebastian Vettel away from Red Bull for the 2014 season.

With 4 races left, Vettel leads Alonso by 6 points. Kimi Raikkonen in the Lotus Renault is in third, 40 points back still thinks he can catch the leaders with a bit of luck. Given that reliability has not been rock solid this year, and the car speeds, particularly in qualifying where first and 15th place are separated by no more than 2 seconds a lap, it is possible that even Mark Webber in 5th place by points can still win the Championship. This is going down to the wire, folks.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 am

I will have to say that this is one of the silliest silly seasons in recent memory, both on and off the grid. In addition to Schumacher retiring and Hamilton replacing him at Mercedes, Sergio Perez, the guy that a lot of us thought would replace Felipe Massa at Ferrari, will replace Hamilton at McLaren. Needless to say that Ferrari should have snagged him when they had the chance. I also don't believe that Vettel and Ferrari are trying to get a deal done for 2014 because if that were to happen, it would mean that Fernando Alonso would be going elsewhere and, personally, I believe the Scuderia want Alonso to retire as a Ferrari driver and I can't imagine Alonso as nothing but a Ferrari driver even though he's spent the majority of his career at Renault. I do not see Ferrari having 2 ace drivers on their team. Also, I don't think Alonso's ego would allow it, and I say that because the best example of that would be the 2007 season when Alonso was with McLaren, not to mention Vettel would never be willing to be the #2 driver anywhere, even though team orders are banned in F1, Ferrari issues them anyway and drivers as proud as those two, especially Alonso, would probably rather race for HRT than be told to let their teammate pass them.

It appears that the United States will have to wait until 2014 to get its 2nd F1 race, which means we're back down to 19 races for next season, unless there's a replacement race that will be announced soon. I would prefer to see the return of the French GP onto the schedule. That London street race would be nice as well.

And in what I believe is the biggest silly season story is that Speed/Fox will not be the U.S. home of F1 in 2013. That honor will go to NBC, as they signed a four-year deal with the sport, ending a relationship with Speed that began way back when it was known as Speedvision back in 1996. According to an article on racer.com, all 20 races will be aired live, as opposed to all the Speed races being aired live and most of the races on Fox airing on tape delay. NBC will get 4 races: the Canadian GP, the GP of Abu Dhabi, the USGP, and the Brazilian GP, while the NBC Sports Network will get the other 16. I wonder if the current F1 announce team will make the jump to the NBCSN next year? It wouldn't quite be the same without them.

4 races left in the season, 6 drivers still mathematically alive in the world championship standings, 1 week until the Indian GP. Maybe Narain Karthikeyan won't qualify dead last like he normally does lol.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 am

Sounds like you have your wish. A French Grand Prix is being worked on. I think it will be difficult to have a French Grand Prix to replace the exact date of the New Jersey race as moving all the cars and drivers from Montreal to France in one week would be a logistical nightmare.

I also agree that Alonso and Vettel as teammates at Ferrari would be unlikely. Vettel's contract also extends through the 2014 season.

I find this season interesting in that at the beginning of the season, the top 5 teams had all their cars within .2 secs of each other on a qualifying lap and at race pace. I am wondering if Redbull and to a lesser extent, Ferrari and McLaren were playing possum at the first half of the season.

Also of coincidence, that Webber would have technical problems after (barely) outqualifying Vettel in the Korea. A poor start in Korea and a problem with KERS in India.

beken

Postby beken » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 am

The race at Abu Dhabi was interesting. It ended with the top three racers in the standings on the podium, albeit in reverse order. The finishing order leaves the championship to be won by only one of two racers, going into the final 2 races of the season. Redbull could have pretty well ended the season here, but for a fueling error in qualifying. Which had Vettel start the race in last place from the pitlane. Vettel, in fact was forced to go back to last place about 15 laps in due to having to go back and have his front nose cone changed.

The fact that he made it back to the podium is a testament of his driving abilities and how good a car he has. If he hadn't needed that nose cone changed, it is probable he could have won the race.

Nice to have Kimi Raikennan win a race. He has been consistantly fast all season and to have an 8th driver win a race this year shows how close all the cars are in speed this year.

Then there was the drivers choice of English words at the post race interviews which had the FIA issue a warning to all the teams regarding swearing in broadcast interviews. Image

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 am

I was wondering when we would have that 8th different driver win a race this season. I had been expecting Kimi Raikkonen to win one for a while now. I guess it's because I've watched Formula One Debrief all season and on almost every episode the announce team were all certain that Raikkonen was going to win that week's GP. Well, on the Debrief before Abu Dhabi, there was no mention of Raikkonen among the possible winners but he ended up getting the win.

I will say that based on his performance at Abu Dhabi, this world championship is Sebastian Vettel's to lose. I would repeat what you just said, but instead, I'm going to make a bold prediction here: Sebastian Vettel is the 2nd coming of Michael Schumacher. Speaking of which, a while back, Schumacher announced his retirement from F1. I'm not sure if he's done with racing altogether, but if he's not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him either in IndyCar or in DTM in 2013.

I see I wasn't the only one that picked up on some colorful language in the post-race interviews. Vettel's was pretty obvious to me, but Raikkonen must have been cursing in Finnish or something because I couldn't understand what his obscenity was but I guess the censors had no problem understanding him... Oh well, for some reason, I find it funny when these drivers have these awkward moments on live television.

I hope you have your DVR set to record all 3 practice sessions for this Sunday's race. I'm going to enjoy every minute of these cars on track. I am definitely planning on attending a future F1 race stateside.

freezespell

Postby freezespell » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 am

I have to say that I really enjoyed F1 back in the United States. Qualifying was predictable, but the race itself was not. It seemed quite appropriate that the top 3 finishers would wear cowboy hats on the podium. Having Mario Andretti conduct the post-race interviews was also nice. I really feel confident about the future of F1 at Circuit of the Americas. It's great knowing that F1 won't be the only series at that track in 2013. We'll have the V8 Supercars, MotoGP (Formula One on 2 wheels), and the Rolex Sports Car Series racing in Austin before F1 comes back stateside next year.

One thing that I found odd was that McLaren had Verizon on their cars last week instead of vodafone. I wonder why that was? I'm thinking that vodafone may not be with McLaren next year. Either that or it's because most American might not know what vodafone is.

It took 19 races to determine the Constructor's Championship, but fortunately, it's going to take all 20 to determine the Driver's Championship. Hamilton has pole position, Vettel will start 4th and Alonso will start 8th. When I thought about the race that's going to start approximately 8 hours from now (as I'm typing this), I started to think that this is truly the end of an era in more ways than one: this will be Michael Schumacher's final F1 start. Thinking of that reminds me of Richard Petty's final NASCAR race 20 years ago. Both drivers won 7 championships in their respective series, both of them have the record for most wins in their respective series and are considered the greatest of all time. Oddly enough, both drivers were past their primes when they made their final starts as well; this will be Lewis Hamilton's last race with McLaren, a team he's been with since he started racing go-karts way back when. I will be interested to find out who will miss the other more at the end of next season; finally, it's also the last F1 race we'll see on Speed, ending a 16-year relationship with the sport before going to the NBC Sports Network next year.

Oh yeah, we also have one of two drivers that will win their 3rd world championship when this is all said and done.

Return to “Sports”