The Golf Thread

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

The Golf Thread

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:52 pm

I don't golf and I have no idea if anyone here golfs either. Nonetheless I thought it might be fun to have a thread about the sport...not just threads about the misdemeanors of the stars of the sport off the links! :P

#1) Most other sports don't mix alcohol with participation but the City of Vancouver Parks Board thinks an exception for golf is okay... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/07/15/bc-vancouver-alcohol-golf.html.

#2) The Robin Williams golf skit... Very PG language! (Plenty of F* bombs in this one :lol: )
The long version...."I want the guy who does Mexican soccer once to do golf".
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4[/youtube]

#3) Highlight from the first (and only...so far) Anime Alley Invitational Mini Golf Tournament...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8936205@N02/3753293495/in/set-72157621678998447
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

beken

Re: The Golf Thread

Postby beken » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:22 am

The very first time I ever went golfing at a real golf course, I birdied the 3rd whole. Nevermind how I did on all the other 17 holes. A few weeks later some friends took me golfing again to the same course. Again, with a 6 iron, I birdied the 3rd hole.

It's been an expensive sport for me since. A full size course is at least 5000 yards if you hit straight and land the balls at exactly the right places. Likely, you're walking 3 to 5 times that distance over the course of a game.

Golf is the sport with the highest number if injuries of any sport. Mostly, it's dehydration. But the injury rate is somewhere around 50%.

Go figure how so many are addicted to it.

beken

Postby beken » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, I played a round at Newlands Golf Club, a PGA tournament sized course this week. My first fullsize course round this year. It was also the first time I had ever played this course.

The first hole was a bit of a disaster for me. A long Par 5 with a dogleg to the left. I ended up doing it in 9. The rest of the course was my average bogey to double bogey.

I did maintain my streak of getting par on at least one hole at every course I've ever played, as I parred 2 holes and probably should have parred the 18th if I didn't triple putt. I probably should have birded the 10th hole Par 3 as I landed my drive right on the green, but double putted.

The 4th hole par 5 was fun, it has 3 doglegs to hit around just to make the green, with the 2nd dogleg surrounded by water and bushes.

I'll likely play this course again as it was rather fun and very challenging.

beken

Postby beken » Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 am

Tiger Woods wins the Player Championship in 2013.

An exciting Sunday final round as no fewer than 6 player had a chance to win going in.
Garcia had a chance to win until his glorious meltdown of a quadrupal bogey on the 17th hole par three which he regularly birdied.
David Lingmerth had a chance to force a playoff with Woods if he sunk his birdy put on the 18th hole. But he ended up three putting for bogey.
Jeff Maggert had a chance to be the oldest to ever win the Players Championship at 48 but hit water on the 17th hole.
Tiger looked like he was going to run away with it but on the 14th hole, double bogeyed when he hit his tee shot into the water. The amazing thing was he almost saved par on that hole. With that, 4 players were tied for the lead, Tiger birdied the 16th to pull ahead and made par the rest of the way to win the tournament as his opponents self imploded.

iwatch2muchanime

Postby iwatch2muchanime » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:20 am

Speaking of Golf, anyone see the Kate Upton thing? Pretty funny

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-go ... olf-digest

beken

Postby beken » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:27 am

I played a round of golf twice this year....while I was still on my extended "vacation". The last time I played, I took out a driver and hit the ball. I shanked it and it went right, hit a post (about 2" in diameter) at the perfect angle about 5 feet away and came right back and hit my friend just above his right eye on his forehead. Knocked him down and gave him a concussion.

I've been to the driving range once since, but have not played again this year. It's just been too busy. My friend is mostly recovered. He has gone out and played a few round since so I am thankful that I didn't kill him. :sweat

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:20 am

It was a little slow there news wise on the golf front on the CBC Sports web site: I thought I saw the headline of the story about Lydia Ko making a jump to the LPGA for about a week. That and the story about EA cutting its ties to Tiger Woods on the cover of their golf game.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

beken

Postby beken » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 am

Michelle Wie won here first LPGA major.

Return to “Sports”