Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2017

Section for all you die hard sports enthusiasts to get together and talk about your favorites teams.
beken

Re: Unofficial Formula 1 thread 2017

Postby beken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm

The Japan GP at Suzuka wasn't much of a race. Lewis Hamilton didn't really have any competition. Ferrari is imploding as Sebastian Vettel's car had engine trouble again. This time, a faulty spark plug started showing symptoms in the warm up lap and the car was noticeably under powered right from the start.

Max Verstappen's Red Bull looked competitive but I think it was the Mercedes managing the pace than the Red Bull being particularly fast.

This race was not broadcast in my area so I did not get to see it. Just watching the highlights.

As I thought from the beginning of the season, it looked to me like Mercedes was sandbagging at the beginning. Ferrari looks like they have caught up in engine power but at great expense of reliability. I think Ferrari probably has a better chassis than Mercedes at this time. The shorter wheelbase makes changing direction (at the expense of straight line stability) quicker for the Ferrari, but the Mercedes seems to have the better straight line speed. This is the type of car Vettel likes to drive (a bit under powered but great handling) as his 4 championship title were won with slightly underpowered Red Bull cars.

I think we are watching the two best drivers in a long time at the top this year. They are noticeably a level above their team mates in equivalent cars. I think Max Verstappen has that potential to be at that level also, but he isn't there yet.

It will be interesting to see how Sauber does with Ferrari motors next year. I expect to see McLaren do better with Renault "power units" next year and if Honda gets their act together, Toro Rosso might do okay in preparation of possibly Red Bull getting Honda power units in 2019. Engine and chassis formulas will change in 2020 so we expect the deck to shuffle in 2020. But the current formula certainly was designed to suit Mercedes.

The season has become so anti climactic now, the official Formula 1 website has refocused their attention to eFormula 1. Online racing between fans on the official formula 1 racing game.

Next up, the USGP in Austin TX.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 am

The Mexican Grand Prix is over and Lewis Hamilton has made history...the most F1 wins by a British driver. Vettel bumped Hamilton in the 1st lap and had to play catch-up to win or place second...he ended up in fourth place...not enough to prevent Hamilton from taking the season championship.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/lewis-hamilton ... -1.4377730
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

beken

Postby beken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 am

Watching the highlights, Verstappen cut off Vettel in turn 2 where Hamilton dived in on the inside. Verstappen took off a piece of Vettel's front wing (again) which caused the Ferrari front end to lift and go straight which then bumped the back of Hamilton's Mercedes and caused Hamilton to have a puncture. Still, Vettel made it back up to 4th (he needed to win). Hamilton finished 9th. With Vettel not winning, Hamilton finishing the race would have secured the championship.
The best driver with the best car won this year.

I was hoping the Ferrari would break the Mercedes monopoly on the current rules but alas, that was not to be. Still, credit to Ferrari for mounting the challenge in the first half of the season. But I always thought Mercedes was sandbagging the first half of the season and maybe I was right on that. In the end, it looked like Red Bull had caught Ferrari, and Mercedes still had maybe a 20 to 30 hp advantage on the engine side. The Ferrari seemed to have an edge in the handling, particularly in hot weather. But not enough to overcome the horsepower advantage. So with two races to go, the constructors and drivers championships locked up, maybe the best of the rest will get a chance to race for a win as the top teams can now turn their attention to their 2018 cars.

beken

Postby beken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:06 am

Filipe Massa has once again announced his retirement.
Some of you might remember that he had announced his retirement at this time last year. Retired and when Valteri Bottas moved to Mercedes, Massa came out of a very short lived retirement to join Williams.
For the early part the season Massa had the upper had on rookie Lance Stroll. But Stroll turned out to be a pretty quick learner and became the youngest rookie to earn a podium position and the youngest to start a race on the front row.
Since then, Massa and Stroll have been pretty even.

Big upside for Stroll, not so much for Massa. So it's a good time to retire.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 am

The Brazil GP was a procession other than Lewis Hamilton starting from the pit lane and making his way up to 4th place.

In qualifying, Bottas in his Mercedes pipped Vettel's Ferrari by .03 sec to take Pole. Hamilton had wiped out in Q1, which brought out the red flags.
At the start, it appeared Bottas had a good start, but stalled a bit change gears as Vettel blew by him and taking the lead in the first corner. The gap between 1st and 2nd pretty well stayed at 2.5 secs....just far away enough for DRS to have no effect for pretty well the entire race. So the race ended with the top 6 positions Ferrari, Mercedes, Ferrari, Mercedes, Redbull, Redbull.

It was a surprise to see red bull not in the top 4. After the last couple of races, it seemed most had written Ferrari off and thought Red Bull had caught up.

So with one more race to go, Vettel can lose the second position if he fails to score any points and Bottas wins the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi.

beken

Postby beken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:47 pm

The 2017 F1 season ended with how the real results of car/driver capabilities were.

Mercedes 1/2, Ferrari 3/4, Red Bull 5/6, .... until Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull motor blew up. etc...

The Mercedes finished a full 20 seconds ahead of Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari. Who in turn finished 45 seconds ahead of his team mate. It looks like Mercedes simply dropped their sand bags and let their cars loose.

Though through the season, it looked like Ferrari had caught up, that wasn't so at the end of the season. It was noticeable that the Mercedes engine was a good 20 or so horsepower up on the Ferrari and maybe 30 or 40 up on the Renault motors. Honda wasn't even close. Ferrari looked like it had made up some ground on the chassis side, but in the end, not enough.

Since the engine and chassis formulae are locked in for 3 more years, we might see 3 more years of Mercedes dominance. Interesting, with all that money in the Ferrari budget, they could only "make up some ground".

Still...this is the first year in the current V6-turbo era, that a non-Mercedes team has made the podium at Abu Dhabi, and the first time in the turbo era the Mercedes did not finish 1/2 in the drivers championship.

McLaren will be dropping the usage of Honda engines, and will switch to Renault engines. Toro Rosso will be using Honda engines in 2018. This year, it appears Honda was still a good 75 or more HP down on the Mercedes engines.

On to 2018.

Return to “Sports”