Looks like the back up worked!

The rules can be found here along with the latest forum announcements.
Soul Tsukino
Tech Staff

Looks like the back up worked!

Postby Soul Tsukino » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:22 am

As many of you saw we had a account hack that deleted our forums. But it seems the back up function worked and althogh some of our newer posts things are restored.

Big ups to Emerje for this one.
The Sailor sun Fan fic Collective
http://www.soultsukino.info
Celebrating 10 years of the Series

Pastachan

Re: Looks like the back up worked!

Postby Pastachan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:28 am

Smashing job, guys. And special thanks to Emerje. Hopefully we won't have to worry about this again. For those of you who missed the whole ordeal... I guess you can call yourselves lucky? (Well, it wasn't really that bad.)
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

Soul Tsukino
Tech Staff

Postby Soul Tsukino » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 am

Pastachan wrote:Smashing job, guys. And special thanks to Emerje. Hopefully we won't have to worry about this again. For those of you who missed the whole ordeal... I guess you can call yourselves lucky? (Well, it wasn't really that bad.)

Sez you! Let's just say after I saw what happened I had to get a change of shorts
The Sailor sun Fan fic Collective
http://www.soultsukino.info
Celebrating 10 years of the Series

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 am

We were all a bit worried there for a while. Thanks to Emerje too!

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 am

I only wish I had done a backup the other day like I was planning on, but it sure as hell beats starting from scratch!

Meh, 18 days lost, we'll live.

Emerje

(edit: Heh, sigs and avatars have been reverted.)
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 am

Yeah I made a new set just for the occasion of coming back :P

Tony K.
Location: Frisco, TX, U.S.A., Earth, Sol System, The Milky Way

Postby Tony K. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Emerje wrote:Meh, 18 days lost, we'll live.

I spent hours typing up and proofreading that list of movies I had watched over the last month...

Is this hack thing gonna' happen again? 'Cause of it is, I don't really see the point in being thorough any further.
"You're an idiot!" - Dr. Gregory House

Saki

Postby Saki » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:57 pm

The only bad thing is that David has been deleted. Back to the old registration routine!
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Murph

Postby Murph » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Good to see everything's back up and running. Now I have to rebuild my post count. *sob* I think I was up to 15, maybe 17 when the forums went down.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Tony K. wrote:

I spent hours typing up and proofreading that list of movies I had watched over the last month...

Is this hack thing gonna' happen again? 'Cause of it is, I don't really see the point in being thorough any further.

Unless you know of a way to predict account hacks I'd like to think this was a one time thing. We've already made a few changes to prevent this from happening again.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

I was a bit worried, it took me a bit to get back on, but I'm glad to be back!

Stupid hackers...ought to chop their fingers off!

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Yay! Congrats on getting this back up

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Tony K. wrote:

We can't say for sure to be honest Tony. We don't know if this was some disgruntled FF member or ANN member being a dick or just some random hack by some bored twit. I'd love to say it will never happen again but it's the net Tony, who knows. I would say be thorough to the degree you wish. You can also save those posts on a word document for a week or two for your own personal backup, and we'll be backing up the board here much more frequently now. We had previously given guests some permissions so they could check the place out but needless to say that has changed among other things.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 am

I just have to ask, because I can't help but feel very, very down in the dumps guilty about this if it's true ever since I thought about this idea, but is it possible somebody just forgot to log out of their account when they left from a public computer somewhere, and somebody came along and used the bookmark system to find this page fully logged into and did their dirty work that way? I'm probably just being to fast to blame myself here but considering the fact our last mishap with the emotes being used on a blog was my fault, I can't help but go over every little thing I could've possibly done wrong to make this happen. Hopefully that isn't the case, and who knows, maybe it isn't, but just letting you guys know I feel really, really bad if it was. Especially like I said the emoticon thing was my fault, so this would be strike 2 for me if that's the case..........

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 am

No, BroEl I don't think it's your fault. We believe that the hack was through Psycho's account since only Admin can delete Forum sections. That and I think the Admin log said that the deletions were done under his name, just with a different IP address.

BrothersElric

Postby BrothersElric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:46 am

doug19992000 wrote:No, BroEl I don't think it's your fault. We believe that the hack was through Psycho's account since only Admin can delete Forum sections. That and I think the Admin log said that the deletions were done under his name, just with a different IP address.

Oh good, thanks for clarifying that up for me. ^_^' That's pretty relieving to hear. Just had to make sure since you can't be too careful is all.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:59 am

doug19992000 wrote:No, BroEl I don't think it's your fault. We believe that the hack was through Psycho's account since only Admin can delete Forum sections. That and I think the Admin log said that the deletions were done under his name, just with a different IP address.

That is the case. I can copy and paste it just to show you all but it's very clear on the admin log of activity my account deleting the 18+ section, general section, and then site related section, and the nothing else. It's also quite clearly a very different IP then my normal one. Now this to me feels like one of 3 situations. 1. This was some random BS and since my account says Site Admin logically if you wanted to be a dick you'd use that account. 2. We have a nice little jerkoff following us. I mean supposedly PG was not responsible for the FF. if that's true the culprit never got caught. Perhaps they found out about this place somehow and are continuing to be a pain in the ass. 3. This was a personal grudge against me personally. The thing is I've not been posting as much elsewhere but here and my password is was not very easy to figure out. My ex gf however did know it so there is always that slight possibility but after over a year of no contact I don't see why she, or her new bf, would do something this purely petty and just pathetic. I figure on option 1. Probably some 4chanish troll just getting some kicks who found this place. We've taken steps to limit guests permissions even more and make it a bit harder to even do anything without being a full fledged member. I of course changed all my passwords (everywhere on the net to be honest just to be safe) and we'll be doing more routine backups. I hope and think this was a random bs one time deal and plan to treat it as such for the time being. I mean they could have done A LOT more then they did while logged onto my account, but they didn't. That to me seems to feel like some random bs troll doing it for kicks but not wanting to do too much to get themselves in any sort of trouble.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:36 am

I swear one day the rest of the internet should just get together and pull off the best hack ever. Erasing the existence of 4 chan.

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm

I swear one day the rest of the internet should just get together and pull off the best hack ever. Erasing the existence of 4 chan.

I know of several times when people have done direct denial of service attacks on 4 chan, well on random anyways. I believe it's a site called anontalk. They have been going back and forth. Not sure if they're still doing Ddos attacks on each other.

Zanarkand Princess

Postby Zanarkand Princess » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:05 pm

But it has to work for good. Like make them go find a new site and name all together.

Return to “Rules & Announcements”