Nature Pics

A place for all your pictures, videos, avatars, and anything else media related.
Emerje
Tech Staff

Nature Pics

Postby Emerje » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 am

Couldn't really come up with a place to post this. It's not a funny picture and it's not a funny picture and it's not exactly a cute anime picture, so I'm starting a new topic for nature pics just so I'd have somewhere to post this. *shrug*

On my way out the door to run some errands I found some caterpillars making their way around my front porch which isn't too unusual this time of year. Then I noticed there was something hanging off the back of one of them. I ran back into the house praying that the batteries in my camera weren't dead, ran back outside and clicked a bunch of pics as it was making it's way across my driveway.

(thumbnail because I know some people here don't like bugs, give it a click)

That would be a very large dog tick attempting (and failing) to gorge itself on a caterpillar. This is probably a once in a lifetime encounter and an amazing find. The caterpillar was quite annoyed, occasionally bending in half batting the tick with its head.

If you're wondering I did save the caterpillar by knocking the tick off and killing it, but I mainly did it because I didn't want the Tick running around in my yard. I've also got a video, I might put it up tomorrow.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

Sentire

Re: Nature Pics

Postby Sentire » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:28 am

Emerje wrote:If you're wondering I did save the caterpillar by knocking the tick off and killing it, but I mainly did it because I didn't want the Tick running around in my yard. I've also got a video, I might put it up tomorrow.

Emerje
Actually - I was going to ask if you saved the caterpillar! Pretty cool pic...

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:09 am

I was on the computer today (go figure :roll: ) and looked up and saw this:

I think this is the biggest praying-mantis I have ever laid my eyes on. He was on the outside of the window right behind my monitor. Thought it was cool...

daxomni

Postby daxomni » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:19 pm

The caterpillar and even the praying mantis didn't creep me out, but that spider-looking dog tick thing... Yuck. I hate anything that looks or acts like a spider. Normally I'm pretty peaceful toward random organisms but when it comes to spider-like things it's just DIE! DIE! DIE! Dunno if I could handle a video.

Zin5ki

Postby Zin5ki » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:59 pm

Ahh, mantises. Many of these curious invertebrates are unequivocal masters of mimicry.

Return to “Media”