The Camera Thread

A place for all your pictures, videos, avatars, and anything else media related.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

The Camera Thread

Postby d.yaro » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Not that I expect this thread to go too far. It's not intended to be an "experts/pro" photography thread. I have no formal training in photography and what I do know is gleaned from conversations I've had with friends (and that's only if I can figure out what the heck they're talking about).

I started this thread on account of Psycho's comment in the "Cute Animal"(sic) thread where he said he'd have to remember to take his camera with him when he does deliveries. This is so he can get a shot of a cat at a particular house. I was thinking "Well, if you have one of those small digi-cameras then the darn thing will slip into your pocket and be easy to fire up and shoot the photograph with". For me, I've gotten to the point where I have my a camera at hand a lot of times. I never know when I see something and I say to myself "I just need to get a shot of that".

Anyways, my weapons of choice are:
Canon Powersho S5 IS. Got this one with points in our employee recognition program. Not too big, Lots of features. You can play around with this thing in manual mode and (I) can easily get lost. A well loaded "point and click" that can produce good results.
Canon Powershot SD1100 IS. As seen in the movie "JCVD". I bought this for my trip to Manila. It slips into my pocket, isn't terribly noticeable and gets decent results. The viewfinder is nowhere as practical as I hoped it would be.

For those of you who've browsed my Flickr photostream and watched the videos, those were shot with either of the above two cameras. I don't own a dedicated digital video camera...yet. ;) So far I've only uploaded one up to YouTube. It's raw (completely unedited) video I shot on Remembrance Day. My handle there is "kansatsusha". I tried uploading one last night and after an hour or so the thing got hung at 94% uploaded. Grrr.... :x
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

Saki

Re: The Camera Thread

Postby Saki » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:59 pm

My current companion is...

This baby. The Samsung L700.

I had a HP PhotoSmart before, but it was stolen.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

The Nikon D60 is my camera of choice. Cost me $800.

Unfortunately, it's a large camera (an SLR to be specific), so I can't take it everywhere. I gave my last camera to my brother.

I also have a Flickr photostream, but I'm not really open to sharing it just yet because I've only uploaded a few photos so far. Still working on my photography skills, though I believe I've gotten significantly better since the beginning of the semester. Photography is something that I've always been interested in, but I just never gave any of my time to learning about it.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

doug19992000

Postby doug19992000 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 am

The camera I use is a Sony Cybershot, I don't take as many pictures as I used to. Back before I had a digital camera I would use disposable cameras. Went through the whole thing in a day taking random and pointless pictures.

I could take my camera to work with me and take pictures of things I see on my way home, hawks circling above in the sky for example. But I get too much water on myself to carry any electronic devices with me. Another thing is certain people have a habit of developing sticky fingers syndrome.

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 am

I take photography in school, and I'm probably going to college for it but unfortunately I don't have the money to buy such and expensive camera and it took me a while to save up for the camera I currently own is a Casio. It was a good upgrade from my started camera that my mom bought when she thought I wasn't so serious about photography. I don't have a flikr, but I'm thinking about making one.

Emerje
Tech Staff

Postby Emerje » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 am

I use a Canon Powershot A95 which is nice, but I'm due for an upgrade. It was nice back when I bought it in 2005 for $273 on sale. Now I can get something twice as good for half the price. It has a pretty good macro setting which I use often for figure pictures, but it can't handle macro zoom too well so light can easily be blocked by the camera itself. It also eats batteries and only takes compact flash cards which are hardly "compact". It also only does 30 second videos even with a 2GB card and with no added perks, not even zoom.

What I'd like is something extremely small and compact that I can keep in my pocket like a cell phone cam with good quality. I've seen a few keychain cameras that are cheap, but they're usually very poor quality. it doesn't need to be extremely high quality, just something I can use to take quick shots with while I'm out. The VISTAQUEST VQ-1005B looks very promising at 1.3MP.

Emerje
"I don't see the cup as half empty or half full, I see the cup as too big." - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:16 am

doug19992000 wrote:The camera I use is a Sony Cybershot
Ooo...Sexy. Zeiss lens. I had to chuckle at the little offer on the Amazon page which you've provided the link for: Save 25% on a 60-inch tripod. Sixty inch tripod for that camera? This is just me but that would look so odd. A small compact camera sitting on top of a massive tripod.

Saki

Postby Saki » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Oh, right. I don't tend to upload my pics, but if they're casual, they're in my Facebook. If they're more on the artistic side, they're in my DeviantArt account.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 pm

Pastachan wrote:The Nikon D60 is my camera of choice. Cost me $800.

Unfortunately, it's a large camera (an SLR to be specific), so I can't take it everywhere. I gave my last camera to my brother.

So what's it mean/is the deal if it's an SLR? What are the kinds of cameras? I am a camera noob in terms of hardware but I want to change that so any info is appreciated. I could google it but I'd rather here from people with experience.

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 pm

What I remember...correct me if I have it wrong: "SLR" = "Single Lens Reflex". With that type of camera design, when you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through the lens. Film SLR cameras used varying types of mirror assemblies to reflect the image seen through the lens up to the viewfinder. When you pressed the shutter button the mirror assembly was withdrawn and then the shutter was opened to expose the film. My understanding is that SLRs are by bulkier/heavier and have larger frames than the "Point and shoot" variety of cameras because of that design.

Zewerr

Postby Zewerr » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:49 pm

I have a Canon PowerShot SD750 that I bought mainly for recording my racing videos. It does an excellent job for that. I have taken it with me to take some to the McChord Air Force Base Air Expo earlier this year as well as a hiking trip with my brother. It wasn't really the best camera for photography like that though. But I guess they could have been worse. It does a good job of the close up ground shots at the airshow.

samples (56k, hah!):
Hiking 1
Hiking 2
Airshow 1
Airshow 2
Airshow 3
Airshow 4
Airshow 5

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 am

I too, am a camera n00b. But I would really like to get a very nice camera for taking artistic photos with. I have NO idea where to start. I know I'm fond of the brand Canon as that's what I grew up with. I may actually attempt to steal my parent's old Canon, as it's a beautiful piece of equipment.

Anywho, can anyone help me figure out what kind of camera I should get? Or give me a run down of what I am even looking at when shopping for a camera?

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 am

Not a Jellyfish wrote:I too, am a camera n00b. But I would really like to get a very nice camera for taking artistic photos with....
Anywho, can anyone help me figure out what kind of camera I should get? Or give me a run down of what I am even looking at when shopping for a camera?
That's an interesting subject. I'm not sure if I can offer much in terms of technical advice. If I were to offer any words of caution then it would be that camera technology is like computer technology: Planned obsolescence is a fact of life. Whatever you get, in terms of digital cameras, will be out of date before you know it.

My two bits of advice: You don't need a super expensive camera to take great photos. Set your budget, see what you can get and then have fun shopping. I'm assuming you'll get a digital camera but then again there's nothing stopping you from getting a film camera. Either way the general breakdown of cameras runs along the lines of "Point and shoot", sub-SLR "Point and shoot" and SLRs. I briefly touched on the fundamental concept of what makes an SLR camera what it is in an earlier post. Whatever you do, make sure you get yourself at least a 2GB memory chip along with your new camera. Also check on the types of batteries it uses. If it takes AA cells then you can buy batteries to carry you over until when you have a chance to recharge (assuming you purchase rechargeable batteries..something I'd recommend). Another consideration is whether or not the camera feels comfortable in your hands. The weight of the camera, the shape of its grip and positions of its controls are all worth thinking about.

Here's the advice I got from a friend when I went camera shopping early this year. I was evaluating a Canon Powershot S5 (which is what I ended up getting), the Fuji 8MP, the Olympus 7MP and two models of Sony Cybershots.
beken wrote:The Canon would probably be the most popular choice. I'm not sure if the lense on this one is interchangeable or not. Canon probably has a reputation to be the most reliable of the electronics. But this unit is pretty big. Not really a point n shoot camera, but should take really nice pictures. It looks packed with features. Canon cameras are generally regarded as the safe bet for good cameras.

The Fuji , a friend of mine has and I got to use it for a wedding. I really didn't like it as it was too big a change from shooting film cameras. I found the electronics slow and insessantly tried to override whatever I was doing. I guess for taking snapshots, it should be a pretty good camera. A point n shoot camera disguised to look like something bigger. A good beginner camera with lots of features, but generally too smart for those who want to do something different with a picture.

For travelling, the Sony unit should be pretty good. Alice (my s-o-l) wanted one when it was rather expensive. It's a pretty good price now as I saw it on boxing day for 299. Nice and compact and a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens. Of course, the one Telus offers is probably last year's model. The new model is the T200.

Olympus is one of the most underrated brands of cameras out there. They are known for making a good camera in a very small physical size. We have an older Olympus film camera that is very good. Note that this one is a true point n shoot. It does not try to be something it isn't. The review seems to think the letdown on this one would be the lense. Unless you're really serious about getting into photography as a hobbie or profession, this shouldn't be an issue. It's also weather proof.

So there you have it. I can't really tell you what to get because I'm not sure what you are going to use it for. If it's for vacation pictures and activities, then the Olympus or the Sony unit should do you well. The Canon if you want to venture a bit outside of general picture taking. If price is a factor, then maybe the Fuji.

As a disclaimer, when taking "serious" pictures, I still use film. Generally 35 and 20 year old Canon SLRs. For general stuff, I'm using a Kodak C340 digital point n shoot camera. It's not very good, but good enough. Which says something about the rest of these cameras. it probably doesn't really matter which one you choose because they're all more than adequate for most of us.

An aside: Until just recently digital SLR cameras did not come with a video capture mode. The latest and greatest models have that feature. I don't remember which company has announced such a camera though..

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:33 am

My dad and I still have his old 35mm Minolta camera. That baby is not a point and shoot but it takes great photos. Plus he got a $300 buck lens that can be added on for nice long distance shots. I think I'll have to haul it out and I can use that myself for now in terms of more....professional photos. Which in this case I'm using to describe anything other then point and shoot. A good camera to use at cons for getting cosplay photos hehe. I think I'll look into either a Sony or Olympus for a nice small point and shoot camera. Time to go compare prices and be dismayed lol.

Edit--I'll look tomorrow and post the model of the Minolta since I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm

What I have is a Sony Cybershot DSC-S650. It's the older model cybershot, but apparently has higher quality imaging. It works great as far as casual pictures, however, when I've tried to take pictures of more professional quality, it fails miserably. It just never looks quite right, and I'd like to be able to actually look through a lens. I've worked with another camera, but I'm not sure what kind it was, and it just continually kept auto-riding over all the settings I was using.

I suppose I'll just have to do some hardcore research and figure out what I want. Or like I said, steal my 'rent's old Canon.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:05 am

Wow that's quite a coincidence...I have an older Sony Cyber-shot too. :o Stalker!!!! Mine's a DSC-P52 though. As for a more point and click type camera I've narrowed my choices down pretty much to 3. Check them out and any feedback or opinions are appreciated.

Sony Cyber Shot

Olympus Stylus

Canon PowerShot

d.yaro
Head Moderator

Postby d.yaro » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:49 am

Not a Jellyfish wrote:What I have is a Sony Cybershot DSC-S650. <snip>

I suppose I'll just have to do some hardcore research and figure out what I want. Or like I said, steal my 'rent's old Canon.
My apologies. When you mentioned "n00b" I assumed you were starting your camera search with absolutely no knowledge. My bad.

Anyways. The one thing that popped into my mind was something people have been telling me...take a digital camera course. I guess there's something to said for having an understanding of the principles of digital camera photography as opposed to the "Let's see what happens when I do this" methodology which I employ. :)

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:02 am

Actually, maybe that's a good idea. I think I'd really like that. It would help me out in learning about cameras, and in improving my photography. Thanks for the inspiration Yaro. ^.^

Pastachan

Postby Pastachan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 am

Pastachan wrote:I also have a Flickr photostream, but I'm not really open to sharing it just yet because I've only uploaded a few photos so far.

Got some more photos up, so I might as well share this with everyone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pastasestab/

The older pictures are on the last page.
Avatar: © Range Murata, futuregraph #92
MyAnimeList | Twitter | Plurk

cow-boy_be-bop

Postby cow-boy_be-bop » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:21 am

pastachan doesn't have anything available to you

Thats what the link says

Return to “Media”