What books are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby d.yaro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 am

Currently reading "The Model Occupation, The Channel Islands Under German Rule, 1940-1945" by Madeleine Bunting. I'm finding it to be an interesting read on the dilemmas and trials endured by British subjects who were conquered by the Germans in June 1940. They wanted to remain loyal to the Crown but found themselves in a position where for all intents and purposes it appeared they had been abandoned. I'm quite interested in finding out why the islands weren't liberated after June 1944 and remained in German hands until May 1945.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 pm

^ That books sounds really intriguing, I think I'll have to pick it up from the library sometime soon. I just finished reading a book on WWII recently as well, Masters and Commanders, How Four Titans Won the War in the West, 1941-1945 by Andrew Roberts. It's definitely a little dry and it focuses on the top political/military meetings of the US and UK and how they came to decisions they made during the war. Such as the Germany First policy, etc. But your book seems very interesting to me.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm not reading anything educational really unless you count a refresher in Greek Mythology that, but basically this week I just finished all the Percy Jackson books. Fun, short series, but nothing really that stellar.

I'm practically crying to my Random House rep at the bookstore to give me knews on the next George R.R. Martin book. They had pre-orders for it for over a year, and they always give a month, and the month comes, and it's never done. Now we're approaching April which is what they said last time, and as far as I know Martin hasn't said the book is done yet.

It looks like HBO will have the pilot of the first episode of the tv adaption done and aired (I hope) before we get the next book.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm

I just finished Ender's Game last night. It was pretty good I suppose, but I think I guessed the plot twist way too easily, I guessed pretty early on that [spoiler]he wasn't doing a simulation after a point and was actually doing real battle without knowing it[/spoiler]. I dunno, guess I didn't find it particularly interesting when all is said and done, the battles kinda annoyed me after a while.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 am

I've gotten curios with the Percy Jackson books with the movie that came out and found them to be pretty fun. Somewhat formulaic, and sometimes it reminds me of Harry Potter, but in all it's a pretty fun way to mix Greek Mythology into a YA series. Shame the movie went stupid in not following the book that well.

Still, these books make me miss Everworld. Now THAT was an awesome book series based off mythology. I think I'm due to reread that one soon.

I'm stuck in YA books and can't get out.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:27 pm

^I also really like the Percy Jackson series, Littlewolf. It's just a fun, entertaining and light series that I think most fans of fantasy/adventure can enjoy. Especially if you enjoy Greek mythology though, I think that is what drew me to the series at the beginning.

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 am

^I don't recall ever reading any Percy Jackson series/books. Which is a shame, because I love fantasy and Greek mythology as well. I'll add that to my "shelf" on Shelfari. :)

Recently I reacquainted myself with the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Ivanovich, and picked up the most recent books. This is light reading at it's best... fast moving and full of humor. I can relate to the protagonist... except that I'm not a bounty hunter and I don't have a hamster for a pet. Lots of other similarities otherwise - lol!

I also began reading "Bloodfever" by Karen Marie Moning. The main character, MacKayla, comes from a long Celtic bloodline of sidhe-seers - people who can see the Fae. The worlds between man and faerie is becoming ever more blurred... and Mac (MacKayla) is a strong, female character on a mission. An excerpt on the back of the book describes is adeptly "(like) Buffy of the Fae...". Yes, this is a dark fantasy, with action and romance. I haven't gone beyond half way yet, but so far I like it. I like her style of writing. It keeps me captivated.

Next up:

"The Broken Window" (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jeffery Deaver
"Bloody Good" by Georgia Evans
"Look Again" by Lisa Scottoline

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Right now I am almost finished reading "Too Big to Fail: The inside story of how Wall Street and Washington fought to save the financial system-and themselves" by Andrew Ross Sorkin. I love this book; although it is 500+ pages, it is compelling and always stays fresh and exciting.

I can't wait to pick up two books on hold from the library that I've been waiting for for several months! Superfreakonomics and Malcom Gladwell's newest book, What the Dog Saw and other adventures.

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

I have just finished Italo Calvino's The Castle of Crossed Destinies. In spite of their heavy symbolism and their hidden meaning, I must say I definitely enjoyed his original way of telling stories. As a huge fan of fairy-tales and stories, I liked his cryptic way of sending messages and I actually started another one of his books called The Nonexistent Knight. So far so good.

I have also managed to read in between all these another collection of folk tales and fairy-tales with annotations. They were so beautiful. I even managed to buy the entire collection in deluxe edition. Ha, top that! :D I feel more mature than ever.

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:37 pm

I have finished Italo Calvino's The Nonexistent Knight. Loved it.

Moved on to The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. To say this book moved me would be the understatement of the year. I have cried a lot reading this story and in spite of having the movie, I just couldn't feel ready to watch this story unfold before my eyes in such a blunt manner. Maybe someday.

Anyways I think Amir, the main character, is the perfect antihero. At least for me, because I never get to sympathize with him. During the entire story, Amir takes bad decision after bad decision and when his father mentions that something is missing in the boy, I think he meant some bone marrow. :roll: He's so petty and inconsiderate in some moments that I wanted to scream in frustration. Even his later deeds are tinged with something.

What is interesting about this book is also the small pieces of philosophy which don't try to be absolute and perfect; they just are. Amir's father has some of the most interesting ideas about the human kind and nature and it's interesting to see that even he at times can't respect the code by which he wanted all the others to live.

But the most impressive character of them all is Hassan, Amir's best friend, who is absent in most of the story and yet present all the time, strong in his influence, adamant in being heard even when he doesn't ask for that. Wow, just wow.

I loved this book: it was interesting to read impressions of an Afghanistan before being destroyed by the war, the undercurrent theme of Cain and Able, the idea of atonement (somehow questionable). It was impressive.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 am

After a semester filled with lots of post-colonial lit (some great - Satanic Verses, others incompletable - Country of My Skull), some Frankenstein and Great Gatsby and W.B. Yeats, I am finally able to read books of my own choosing! Woo! Just started Faulnker's Sound and the Fury, next up I plan to finally finish 1984 and read more Salinger. Also TONS of comic books! I'm so excited!

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:17 am

Not a Jellyfish wrote:some Frankenstein!

Best book ever.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 am

chrisb wrote:

Best book ever.

Second best. This is the best book ever.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 am

chrisb wrote:

Best book ever.

Oddly, it was my first time reading it. But I can assure you I will go back and read it time and again. It's amazing and a classic in all respects. It really quite blew me away.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:33 am

Psycho 101 wrote:
chrisb wrote:

Best book ever.

Second best. This is the best book ever.

Lol ok you win.

I got 100 Classic Books for the DS so I'm starting to read The Count of Monte Cristo at the same time I'm watching the anime.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm

chrisb wrote:I got 100 Classic Books for the DS so I'm starting to read The Count of Monte Cristo at the same time I'm watching the anime.

That is one of my favorite books of all time (top 4), and the anime does not disappoint. It reinterprets things in its own way, and usually I absolutely hate it when things take a different direction from the original book, but in this case it worked for me. The anime is amazing and definitely one of my favorites as well.

Krimson

Postby Krimson » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:32 am

About to start Coming of the Terraphiles by Michael Moorcock. He was commissioned by the BBC to write a Doctor Who novel, and Terraphiles is unique in the sense that it crosses over into his own multiverse and specifically with the Second Ether trilogy.

chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 pm

^^ That's good to know! The book is taking a while to get going but that's classic literature for ya.

beken

Postby beken » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm thinking about getting Cosmic Motors.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 am

Right now, I am procrastinating writing a paper about a book I recently read called "Busted Scotch" by James Kelman. It's a very interesting Scottish collection of short stories written in working-class vernacular. Actually, the collection reminded me a lot of Tatsumi's works, if they were in Post-Devolved 70s to 90s Scotland. Typically set in pubs or snooker-halls, the stories usually revolve around a character at a stand still in their life and career, reflecting much of the attitude of Scotland at the time. Recommended if you would like to read someone who is frequently considered the Scottish James Joyce.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”