What books are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
darksideoftheanime

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby darksideoftheanime » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:16 pm

I did finish reading Pride and Prejudice. I so happy to read a book for English that doesn't end in a sad or bittersweet way :lol: . I have to say I actually did enjoy reading this book. I also had to read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. While I was reading that I kept thinking "What the heck is going on here? You go from [spoiler]seeing the ghosts to thinking the kids are evil because they haven't seen them?[/spoiler]" Although I did like the assignment we did for it in which I read about Marxist criticism and a Marxist viewpoint on the story.

Right now I'm reading Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez. We've already read his short story “A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings” and it was a interesting story to say the least.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

Liesl von Kaulitz

Postby Liesl von Kaulitz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

darksideoftheanime wrote:I also had to read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. While I was reading that I kept thinking "What the heck is going on here? You go from [spoiler]seeing the ghosts to thinking the kids are evil because they haven't seen them?[/spoiler]".

I thought that too xD But I liked the book so much.

Truered

Postby Truered » Sun May 31, 2009 8:03 pm

Finished off a couple of books recently.

First of all I reread "Phantoms" by Dean Koontz, and for the first time in years (?!) I sat down for about 90 minutes just reading.

I only stopped because it had reached half one in the morning :P

Then I read The Exorcist, having found an old copy up at my Grandad's house. Pretty good, now I want to watch the film. I last tried when I was younger...the eyes freaked me out and I stopped watching :oops:
Image Image Image

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 pm

A relatively quick read: "Voyages of Hope - The Saga of the Bride Ships" by Peter Johnson. Something I picked up in the gift shop on board a ferry while on my way to Victoria. The history revolves around the plan of an association of 19th century British feminists and missionaries, plus a plethora of other characters, who sent four shiploads of single British women to the far reaches of the Empire. The purpose of their plan being to establish social stability in a far flung colony by having these women marry and start families and to spread the Anglican faith. So far I've found the book to be a good narrative which is quite objective.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:15 pm

I just finsihed reading Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. It's really short, but Gladwell is a genius and the book is really quite interesting. Why are certain people successful? Is it really inherent talent? Or once in a lifetime opportunities plus hard work and practice?

I'm still in the middle of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I started off reading it rather quickly, but I've been stuck in the middle portion for quite a while now.

Saki

Postby Saki » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Cats Without Boundaries (Gatos Sin Fronteras) by Antonio Burgos. I love this book. It can make you laugh, cry and love cats even more. A shame there's no English version for you guys :?.
ImageImage

Nankatsu's Field: Updated every Monday

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:18 am

I started on Gulliver's Travels. It's not bad, although without being incredibly familiar with the politics of the time, I realize a bit of it is going over my head. Since he's also mocking travelogues, he imitates that style, so it can be a little dry at times. On the other hand, in the first seven or eight chapters, urination is merited epic mention twice. I never realized how funny the euphemism "make water" is before.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

Truered

Postby Truered » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Well my copy of the Haruhi novel turned up so I'll be reading that shortly. Also started "Cold fire" by Dean Koontz. I can't remember if I ever read it all (bought it about four years ago).

I wanted to reread "The Andromeda strain" but it was the one Michael Crichton book of mine that I couldn't find :evil:
Image Image Image

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:33 pm

I'm reading The Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey. It's part of her Elemental Masters series. It's a good group of books.

Littlewolf

Postby Littlewolf » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 am

I've given into a guilty pleasure and am speeding through the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse books because True Blood starting up again reminded me I had only previously read the first two books, and one night a week is not enough to sate my Bill addiction. Mmmm, Southern Cajun Gentleman Vamp can bite me anytime. On book 4 now, expecting to get the next at work tomorrow since they're all short reads.
See Scott Pilgrim or Die Trying (you may earn a life in the process)

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 pm

For the past two days I've been engrossed in reading Pictures of an Exhibitionist, Keith Emerson's autobiography. This has been a completely fascinating read for me and it explains a whole lot of things that I'd only knew a little bit about (i.e his flag burning incident). I really like how this is told more like a story and less like a documentary in book form. There's also quite a bit of humor in this book.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:I started on Gulliver's Travels. It's not bad, although without being incredibly familiar with the politics of the time, I realize a bit of it is going over my head. Since he's also mocking travelogues, he imitates that style, so it can be a little dry at times. On the other hand, in the first seven or eight chapters, urination is merited epic mention twice. I never realized how funny the euphemism "make water" is before.

He has his moments. :) I personally loved the part with the Houyhnhnms (I think it's the forth - I don't remember exactly), although I thought that Swift was a bit too sarcastic at times. I liked the way he isn't afraid to criticize different aspects of society, but I don't think I would read a second time this book.

Currently I am about to finish Nigel Tranter's Crusader. I haven't read in while historical novels. I thought I was long away from Walter Scott and the likes of him, but apparently every now and then I get nostalgic over it and come back to a genre that fascinated me. This novel introduces the reader in the fascinating history of Scotland and it's about David de Lindsay, a nobleman that will become a protector to the young king of Scotland (he's really young - he gets to be king when he is nine years old). I like the way the action flows naturaly and the characters seem to evolve. However I am a bit weary when it comes to various descriptions that really bother me. Too many descriptive details that don't seem to have any importance or meaning within the story. Not even to introduce the reader in the atmosphere of the period, as they become at times too lengthy and bothersome. However in spite of that, I like the novel. I can't wait to see how it ends.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:51 am

I've finished reading three out of the five sections of Roberto Bolano's "2666". I was glued to the book when I flew out to Miami and back to Vancouver in July. Managed to read up the next section on my way to work every morning over the previous two weeks. So far I've found it to be very enticing and slowly, but surely, increasingly but subtly "violent". Not violent in terms of what the characters in the story are doing but more so based on the underlying story of a long series of unsolved rape-murders in a Mexican border town. If you're interested in the book here's a review of it: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/books/review/Lethem-t.html
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie
My Flickr Photostream / My Plurk timeline

Bonham

Postby Bonham » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:30 am

d.yaro wrote:I've finished reading three out of the five sections of Roberto Bolano's "2666".

Definitely would like you to come back and say what you think of it by the end, as the only apprehension about it is the fact that Bolano didn't tidy the whole book up before he died. (I've already preordered the paperback, though...)

Haven't read any books recently -- free time by myself mostly consists of my movie and comic backlog -- and probably won't have the time to until the fall quarter winds down. When that happens, I plan on tackling some books I've really wanted to get around to (The Master and the Margarita, Perdido Street Station, Palimpest and Pop Apocalypse), in addition to 2666.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 am

I just ordered from the library the Kingdom Wars novels by Jack Cavanaugh. Looking forward to getting them soon from the library.

Truered

Postby Truered » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am

Finished Odd Thomas about two days ago. I can remember when it first came out I left it as the story didn't really appeal to me and I might have been put off by the first person perspective (but looking back that might have been a different story).

Was a bit slow at first, but it pulled me into the story and I enjoyed it overall. We had gone shopping on the way back from dropping things at the Uni house and my Mum bought a boxset of the first three Odd Thomas books- down from £20 to £5, so £1.60 for a 400 page novel.

Going to save the other two for when I get back to Uni.
Image Image Image

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:40 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the Odd Thomas books. All 4 of them. Though the 4th is a bit of a stretch but still fun. Book 3, Brother Odd, to me is is tied with #1 as my fav. There's one particular point in Brother Odd when Odd is talking to one of the kids and it's very touching.

As for me I got the first book in 3 new series coming. Wanted some new reads. For fans of Jim Butcher and Kim Harrison (or any supernatural type books) 2 of the series you might want to check out. They would be the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson and the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine. Beyond those two I have a bit of Science Fiction with the Stardoc series by S.L. Viehl. Figured I'd try out those new series and see if any grab me.

I just got done reading the Kingdom Wars novels by Jack Cavanaugh. Also got a few cookbooks I've been looking at for some new recipe ideas.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:56 am

I finally finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet earlier this month. It was just okay for me; it took me a really long time to finish because I just wasn't that interested in it and it wasn't captivating. That kept me from reading other books for awhile because I don't like starting new books until I finish the last one completely. After that I read Thomas More's Utopia, Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto, and The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.

Right now I am in the process of reading Blowback by Chalmers Johnson.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Am I allowed to double post here? I'm not sure.

Well, right now I am reading Unfriendly Fire: How the Gay Ban Undermines the Military and Weakens America by Nathaniel Frank. I saw him on the Daily Show promoting this book this past year, and had it on hold from the library. It is a really amazing and eye opening read. I couldn't (but also at the same time I kind of could) believe some of the most prejudice and bigoted things some of the military and government officials had said when they were trying to fight Clinton's lift of the gay ban back in 1993. What we got instead was "don't ask, don't tell," which Franks outlines as having problems of its own, and hasn't worked to protect the rights of gays and lesbians in the military.

I'm not quite finished yet, but I highly recommend this book.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

You can't tell anyone this or I will become extremely embarrassed, but due to reading and enjoying the first Cirque du Freak manga volume, I went out and read the series and I finished it just the other day. I don't want anyone to think I read it because of the movie (the trailer of which makes me say massive adaption decay is following swiftly) because I honestly didn't know they were making one until I was well into book 5. Anyway, I enjoyed it overall, I noticed the writing in the first few books sound like they were written by someone rather young and the later books sound a bit older. The embarrassment comes from that it is in the youth section is all (I still look young enough to go there no problem of course). What can I say, other than manga, I don't tend to be a big reader, the public school system saw to that by always making us read garbage.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”