What books are you reading?

A section for fans of both Western and Eastern forms of graphic novels, manga, magazines, books, and everything in between.
ningensei

Re: What books are you reading?

Postby ningensei » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Don't feel embarrassed about reading books from the young adult section! I'm 24 and I still read some young adult series; there are some really good ones out there. Just last night I bought almost the entire series of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events; Artemis Fowl; the Bartemaeus Trilogy; the Spiderwick Chronicles and others from Half Price Books in the clearance section. I originally bought them for the kids in my after school program to read, but I will probably read and enjoy them myself as well.

So I finished Unfriendly Fire; and I also started and finished The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West by Edward Lucas. Now I am reading Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation by Nandan Nilekani (one of the founders of Infosys).

Yes, I enjoy my boring non fiction books very much. :D

Sentire

Postby Sentire » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:03 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the Bartemaeus Trilogy myself. I know many "older" adults who still enjoy some young adult series as well. Definitely no shame in that. Reading is reading.

bashfulglowfly

Postby bashfulglowfly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:19 pm

When a book is well written and not condesending to the "age group" that it's "intended" for, then there should be no stigma about reading it. Look at Harry Potter, my dad is in his 70s and enjoys reading the series.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:57 pm

I just finished reading the entire George R. R. Martin series. Only took like 3 months to read the whole thing. WHEW. But SO worth it. I'm almost sad that I have to wait for the rest of it now. The characters have been very much a part of my life for the last few months and it's weird not to have them around. This series is so incredibly well-written. I really recommend it to fans of High fantasy who haven't read it yet. I put it off for a long time due to the daunting length, but it was worth the time. VERY, very good.

I'm now finally getting around to 1984. I haven't had much time for it, but what little I've read, I really like.

And I'm also listening to Harry Potter on audio whenever I go running, now. :D I'm on book 2 and still madly in love with the series. It's also incredible on audio! The reader is A-mazing. Seriously.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:45 pm

^I love the George R.R. Martin series! I own the first four, but I have been delaying reading A Feast for Crows until I get the next book in the series so I can read it all together. Glad to see you back, Jelly!

Right now I am almost done with Descent into Chaos: The United States and the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Recently been in a supernatural mood so I've been reading up on some series I've been saving for when I got in this mood (I knew it would happen). The two mains series I'm reading are the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs, and the Weather Warden books from Rachel Caine. Both have female leads and are so far pretty fun series to read. Neither has fallen into the smut fest that Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake novels have become. I will say I think the Patricia Briggs novels do have a bit more in the way of character development and she spends a good amount of time developing the friendships and dynamics of the supporting characters. But I'm only on book 3 for the Rachel Caine Weather Warden series so who knows. Both are fun series and I definitely would suggest them for any fans of Kim Harrison or Jim Butcher.

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:56 pm

ningensei wrote:^I love the George R.R. Martin series! I own the first four, but I have been delaying reading A Feast for Crows until I get the next book in the series so I can read it all together. Glad to see you back, Jelly!

That's actually a good idea as Feast and Dance with Dragons occur concurrently. The third is my favorite so far, mostly just because I don't like the majority of the characters that are the focus of Feast. But I'm so excited for Dance because it has all my favorites.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Not a Jellyfish wrote:That's actually a good idea as Feast and Dance with Dragons occur concurrently. The third is my favorite so far, mostly just because I don't like the majority of the characters that are the focus of Feast. But I'm so excited for Dance because it has all my favorites.

That's actually how I feel, with what characters are featured, which is why I am waiting for Dance. I've heard about the character focuses and how it is supposed to be happening at the same time, but all the best characters are in Dance, which is why I am just going to wait for it...even though Feast is sitting there on my bookcase. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same favorites, I think. :)

Edit: Wow, I think I just repeated myself a million times there, oh well!

Not a Jellyfish

Postby Not a Jellyfish » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:24 pm

ningensei wrote:That's actually how I feel, with what characters are featured, which is why I am waiting for Dance. I've heard about the character focuses and how it is supposed to be happening at the same time, but all the best characters are in Dance, which is why I am just going to wait for it...even though Feast is sitting there on my bookcase. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same favorites, I think. :)

Edit: Wow, I think I just repeated myself a million times there, oh well!

No you didn't! It makes perfect sense the way it is!

Lessee... Jon, Bran, and Tyrion are the ones I'm most excited to hear more from. They're my main favorites. I was glad to see a lot of Jamie and Arya in Feast, but I hate Cersei and she takes up a good chunk of it.

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:01 am

Superfreakonomics!! I loved the first book and I'm glad to be back in my element of non-fiction when it comes to books, so far, I just adore it as much as I did the first book. These two are still quite possibly my favorite books of all time! Hope a third one comes out!

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I also enjoyed Freakonomics when I finally got around to reading it, so I really want to read Superfreakonmics as well. I'll probably put it on hold from the library, but since it is such a popular and brand new book, I might not get it for awhile.

darksideoftheanime

Postby darksideoftheanime » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:20 pm

classicalzawa wrote:Superfreakonomics!! I loved the first book and I'm glad to be back in my element of non-fiction when it comes to books, so far,...Hope a third one comes out!

What would they call it. Super-duperfreakonomics :? ?

The last book I've read that's not a college textbook was Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass for History. This story differently told a powerful story about slavery and it's effects one the black people who there under it.
Dammit, it’s my turn to say dammit.” -Daria.
What are you listening to? challenge: Completed 102 of 114.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:01 pm

I just finished reading Power Rules: How Common Sense Can Rescue American Foreign Policy, by Leslie H. Gelb, and I was a little more than disappointed. I don't doubt the author's knowledge or expertise, but the book kind of reads like U.S. Governement Foreign Policy 101. I think it was intended for a more mainstream audience with minimal background in political theory or international politics. Many of his ideas and arguements were quite vague or only touched the surface level of issues. I was hoping for a more in-depth, critical, and analytical approach, but that just wasn't what this book was. Definitely a good overview of past Presiden't roles in foreign policy, but if you are looking for a bit more depth, then this isn't the right book.

Now I am about to start The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt, by T. J. Stiles. This is supposedly a really amazing biography, and it clocks in at about 600 pages! (700+ if you include the notes). I'm excited to start reading this one.

d.yaro
Head Moderator
Location: Yonezawa, Yamagata, Japan... Home of the famous "Yonezawa Gyu (Beef)"

Postby d.yaro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 am

Finished reading Roberto Bolano's "2666" two weeks ago while I was in Japan. I definitely found the fourth book "About the Crimes" a real tough slog. I had read the bulk of it during my daily commutes to and from work, advancing a few pages each time. Structurally he threaded a number of stories focused on individual characters between descriptions of the crime victims. I chewed up the fifth book "About Archimboldi" very quickly. He did a good job of tying up the loose ends from the previous books and I found it to be a wonderfully executed piece of story telling.
"Boredom is not an appropriate response to exploding cars." - Hugh Laurie

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Finished reading the Cornelius Vanderbilt autobiography, and also finished Left in Dark Times: a stand against the new barbarism by Bernard Henri Levi.

Just started Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army by David Cloud and Greg Jaffe. This book just came out last month.

I'm also in the middle of reading Masters and Commanders: How Four Titans Won the War in the West, 1941-1945 by Andrew Roberts.

aya honda

Postby aya honda » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Currently reading Maurice by E.M. Forrester. The first time I read this novel I was during uni, while we were studying A Passage Through India. I actually loved this novel and decided to read all of Forrester's novels. Maurice was definitely a surprise. Now I'm reading the Abinger edition which shows the original ending of the novel, well, actually, the epilogue. I still like this novel; there's a certain emotion to it. It would have been interesting to see how this novel would have been received, if Forrester would have published it when he wrote it and not demanding to be published after his death.

ningensei

Postby ningensei » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Since my last post I've finished a few more books, including:

The Fourth Star by David Cloud and Greg Jaffe (Very compelling story of four Generals; Gen. David Petraeus, Gen. Pete Chiarelli, Gen. George Casey Jr. and Gen. John Abizaid)

The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and the Challenges of American Power by David E. Sanger

Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Lings (Which was a really amazing book, by the way, I highly recommend it)

I am currently reading the first books in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. And I just started reading Keynes: The Return of the Master by Robert Skidelsky.

Dorcas_Aurelia

Postby Dorcas_Aurelia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:26 am

I'm not logged in over at ANN right now, so I can't just copy/paste my post in the Community forum about House of Leaves and City of Thieves, but I'm enjoy both of them. Christmas presents from my sister.

Edit: Copy/paste!
Got House of Leaves for Christmas, and I'm about halfway into that. It's not so much a book as a mind fudge in published form. Fortunately, only the one chapter was really crazy, what with the upside, backwords, mirrored, sideways, and offset footnotes, and most of those were just ridiculously long lists of names, architecture styles, movies, literary works, and stuff that didn't really matter.

Also got City of Thieves, which is about a 17-year old kid who, during the siege of Leningrad, gets caught looting a dead German and has to procure a dozen eggs for a Soviet colonel's daughter's wedding cake. I read a couple of chapters before I go to bed after reading House of Leaves to keep from having nightmares.
My dream is to hold a baby tiger, getting scared about it, and running away in fear.
It's a dream of failure. -Miyako

classicalzawa

Postby classicalzawa » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Borrowing World War Z from my sister's bf, I loved Zombie Survival Guide and he had this one and said he'd lend it to me. I like how he writes fiction in a non-fiction style, it makes it an easier read for me and far more interesting while still being subtle in it's humor.

Psycho 101
Promoter

Postby Psycho 101 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:27 am

Well right now I'm continuing the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine. I have books 4 and 5 checked out from the library right now. Nice simple easy reads much akin to the Kim Harrison novels. I've also got a nice stack of cookbooks out I'm going through right now. They include Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson. The Gourmet collection cookbook (it's huge), BLT:Bistro Laurent Tourondel, and also a more generic one Arab Cooking. Was looking for a middle eastern cookbook but this was the only one my local library branch had in at the time.

Return to “Manga, Comics, & Literature”